Mark Englert?

General art-related discussion.
SouthShore
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:56 am

This is awesome!
My favorite movie showcased in an entirely different way...easy +1 here.
markenglert
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Dog:

ironjaiden
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:41 pm

This is gonna be a great poster. Mark are you working with a scatter brush or using a disolve layer? I recently did a poster with a similar effect. So fun to work that way.
markenglert
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:00 pm

ironjaiden wrote:This is gonna be a great poster. Mark are you working with a scatter brush or using a disolve layer? I recently did a poster with a similar effect. So fun to work that way.
Thanks! I hope whoever I choose to print it is up to it.

Brush just the same custom one I made to color sand or concrete in comics... just a kind of blotchy shape set to dissolve.

I realize a lot of the detail I'm putting in to this stuff will get blown out when I actually shrink it down to be on the print. But my concern is investing these fake elements with as much micro detail as the photos of mountains and snow I'll be using so it all blends together without resorting to the easy way out and making everything in the foreground a silhouette.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:53 pm

markenglert wrote:
ironjaiden wrote:This is gonna be a great poster. Mark are you working with a scatter brush or using a disolve layer? I recently did a poster with a similar effect. So fun to work that way.
Thanks! I hope whoever I choose to print it is up to it.

Brush just the same custom one I made to color sand or concrete in comics... just a kind of blotchy shape set to dissolve.

I realize a lot of the detail I'm putting in to this stuff will get blown out when I actually shrink it down to be on the print. But my concern is investing these fake elements with as much micro detail as the photos of mountains and snow I'll be using so it all blends together without resorting to the easy way out and making everything in the foreground a silhouette.
Cool cool. Yeah I was doing a bit of dissolve work myself recently. Totally interesting results. If you spend enough time in there you can get some phenomenal detail. I think you're going about this the exact right way for a large screen printed piece. You'd be surprised at how much fine detail can translate to paper through a 305 mesh screen. Even if you lose a little bit of fidelity it'll still be a much more visually rich piece than if you did a silhouette. Stoked to see it all come together.

And just to nerd out a bit if any of you Thing fans haven't read Peter Watts' short story 'The Things' give it a look here. It's the movie from the perspective of the thing :)
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:00 pm

ironjaiden wrote:Stoked to see it all come together.
Even if I am too old to use that word, so am I.
ironjaiden wrote:And just to nerd out a bit if any of you Thing fans haven't read Peter Watts' short story 'The Things' give it a look here. It's the movie from the perspective of the thing :)
Read that a while back. Cool stuff.
karza
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:47 pm

ironjaiden wrote: And just to nerd out a bit if any of you Thing fans haven't read Peter Watts' short story 'The Things' give it a look here. It's the movie from the perspective of the thing :)

Just read this, really cool story thanks for the link Jay :D
markenglert
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Half of the base:

finneganm
Art Freak

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:56 pm

These "making of" updates are very cool, thank you sir. It is always nice to see how a finished product comes together step by step.
That's what she said
cinematical
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:56 pm

This looks awesome. :clap:
RelaxingDragon
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Lovin' the updates, and also the sloshed MacReady.

Though am I the only one who thinks the Dog looks a little too angry? I'm super-nitpicking here, but didn't it have a more calm expression pretty much the entire time it was on-screen?
markenglert
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Don't worry, there's no way that dog's face will show up that well once it is done...
TheBlack
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:05 pm

markenglert
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Whew, base is done!

kryptonite
Art Expert

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:41 pm

The man works fast! :D