Mark Englert?

General art-related discussion.
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm down! I think the smoke could work in GID, especially as suggesting the smoke reflecting the flames. So, much brighter near the station and dissipating as it rises.
ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."
middayshadows
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:59 pm

I think you run the risk of overkill, if it 's overdone. As well, smoke would be a tricky thing to convey as a screen layer, as GID is translucent.

I like that you dont want to risk making it too different from the other 'sister' prints' in the triptych. So yes, copter lights and a few station lights, maybe some glow around the station ( or reflected in the ice under the station) might avoid that.

Less is more.If you did go for a burned-out station approach, I'd suggest going very minimal.

Again, I think the end result should look good (even in the dark) beside to other two 'sister' prints. Just my two cents!
Last edited by middayshadows on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selassielion
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Awesome stuff. So many of the Thing re-tread prints have been character-oriented, with Tyler's being the only one that comes to mind that works. This really shows off the silent player in the movie, the isolation around them. Great work!
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
But-we-unleashed-a-lion
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Sometimes less is more
Keep it simple and people will love it
You may hide some elements there and it'll becoe epic
kryptonite
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:32 pm

But-we-unleashed-a-lion wrote:Sometimes less is more
Keep it simple and people will love it
You may hide some elements there and it'll becoe epic
+1

Also, don't forget GID comes in a wide spectrum of colours. Red, blue, yellow, etc. :)
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 pm

I love the GID idea but getting phosphorescent ink to glow orange or red can be a pain the ass. I'm sure the right printer can handle it but I've only ever been able to get blue / green glows to happen myself.
clem99
EB Team

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm

this is killer in red, all be it under blacklight blue lamp, carry on

art is the only justification for pain :)
kryptonite
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:49 pm

ironjaiden wrote:I love the GID idea but getting phosphorescent ink to glow orange or red can be a pain the ass. I'm sure the right printer can handle it but I've only ever been able to get blue / green glows to happen myself.
Oh yeah? What causes that?

Blue would still look good for this. Matches the cover artwork / arctic.
KeyLoC
Art Enthusiast

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Really liking this design. Would buy!
High quality poster weights, Star Wars Poster Weights. http://corkys.bigcartel.com (Use KeyLoC as a referral)
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:49 pm

kryptonite wrote:
ironjaiden wrote:I love the GID idea but getting phosphorescent ink to glow orange or red can be a pain the ass. I'm sure the right printer can handle it but I've only ever been able to get blue / green glows to happen myself.

So I may be talking out of my ass here but from what I remember most phosphorescent inks (Speedball, Permaset, Jaquard) are made with Zinc Sulfide powder. That powder naturally emits a green glow once charged. You can alter the color value of the ink but the Zinc powder will not change it's glow color accordingly.
Calcium Sulfide naturally glows red but isn't used in off-the-shelf water based inks so a lot of screen printers don't carry it. I'm sure any decent sized shop could get a hold of red GID though so if Mark's sending this off somewhere to print it should be fine. Now getting that red ink to be translucent during the day is a whole other issue. 8)
markenglert
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Hm, Yeah, my worry is that the glow would just look weird or not read as fire. I don't know if I'd want it to be red necessarily, and definitely not if it affects the look of the print in the light.

In any case, once I'm further along, I'll have a go at making it work. Even considering just doing a straight up colorway variant where the base is on fire at night. That way, people can hang those side by side instead of ISO a print they may not have.

Also, I really, really appreciate the kind words, encouragement and constructive criticisms going on in here.
MalachiConstant
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 pm

The wife and I want this so bad. Brilliant idea.
crackapunta
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 pm

yesss that is awesome! i want one too.
kryptonite
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:20 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
kryptonite wrote:

So I may be talking out of my ass here but from what I remember most phosphorescent inks (Speedball, Permaset, Jaquard) are made with Zinc Sulfide powder. That powder naturally emits a green glow once charged. You can alter the color value of the ink but the Zinc powder will not change it's glow color accordingly.
Calcium Sulfide naturally glows red but isn't used in off-the-shelf water based inks so a lot of screen printers don't carry it. I'm sure any decent sized shop could get a hold of red GID though so if Mark's sending this off somewhere to print it should be fine. Now getting that red ink to be translucent during the day is a whole other issue. 8)
Sweet. Thanks, bud.

mike123230
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm excited to see how this comes together! Brilliant idea mark. :clap: