Mark Englert?

General art-related discussion.
markenglert
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 am

Hiya,

I was browsing the Mondo thread and MovieManJeff1012 posted his picture of Dan McCarthy's Hoth and JC Richard's Fortress of Solitude prints hung up next to each other:

I have my own two copies of the prints hung up together as well and I felt like there was something missing. So, I spent the better part of an hour mocking this up:

I'm planning on producing an actually decent looking version of this layout and getting it screen printed. I initially posted the image in the Mondo thread, but didn't want to hijack it with off-topic crap, so, I figured I'd start up a new thread to post my progress and eventually (hopefully), a link for purchase.

EDIT: Also, middayshadows mentioned a Star Trek 2009 print with Kirk on the ice planet/moon, so he planted a kernel there.
Last edited by markenglert on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:35 am

I like it better without the copter I think. More isolated that way. Just my 2 cents. I still want one.
binky79
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:53 am

harrykeogh wrote:I like it better without the copter I think.
I like the copter and the dog, but would like them more if they were much smaller. Closer to scale with the base.

I really dig this print. Great idea. Definitely a +1 (hopefully).
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:59 am

binky79 wrote:
harrykeogh wrote:I like it better without the copter I think.
I like the copter and the dog, but would like them more if they were much smaller. Closer to scale with the base.

Yeah, I think he will work out the scale some more. I get that the dog is supposed to be in the foreground, but it still looks big. If he tightens up the scale a bit...Underbart!
binky79
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:04 am

markenglert from the Mondo thread wrote:And as long as I don't mention the movie, I don't see how anyone can claim copyright on mountains, snow, a helicopter, a dog and a fairly generic Artic base.
Can they claim copyright if when I look at it this is what I hear (in my head)?

heartstrand
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:55 am

I'd be a +1 on this if you fixed up the scale :notworthy:
Izmon
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 am

think this looks brilliant tbh
middayshadows
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:45 am

Just re-posting this from the Mondo thread so people can get up to speed. Go for it Mark!
markenglert wrote:
middayshadows wrote:Get someone to render a Kirk-being-chased-by-ice-monster from Abrams' Star Trek and we'd have a nice snow planet triptych...
Hmmm.... well, if there was enough interest, I could make something like this mock up I just whipped up

Nicely done! Looks exactly like what I had in mind - a companion to JC's and Dan's posters.

I did not realize the idea would go anywhere...

Great mock up Mark!
markenglert wrote:Took a break to go watch Walking Dead and eat some food, dang, didn't realize this would be the response.

I just did a quickie mock up, nothing is separated or cleaned up. Used some snow pictures from around where we live, drew the husky, screen-grabbed the heli and base.

I'll see if I can't get a quote for a 3-4 color, 12x36 print on some decent cotton and go from there. I'll also start a Mark Englert thread or something and post progress stuff... did NOT mean to hijack the Mondo thread.

And as long as I don't mention the movie, I don't see how anyone can claim copyright on mountains, snow, a helicopter, a dog and a fairly generic Artic base.
The Thing works too, and was actually the first movie I had in mind.

But I pitched Star Trek because Mondo has that license and would be an easier fit that way. Also, as with Dan and JC's, you could include one very very subtle fantasy element (the ice monster), while keeping it predominantly a snowy-landscape vista.
Last edited by middayshadows on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:53 am

binky79 wrote:I like the copter and the dog, but would like them more if they were much smaller. Closer to scale with the base.
Agree.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:22 am

Looks fantastic. I agree that the scaling could be perfected, but I'm in awe that it took you an hour or two to mock that up...
That's what she said
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:50 am

Since you are talking about hanging with Hoth and Fortress, are you thinking of making this 12 x 36?
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
markenglert
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:24 am

Yeah, it'll definitely be 12x36, waiting to hear back on quotes from some shops now.

Scale is definitely an issue, I was just going for legibility in the mock up. I want the dog and the helicopter to be fairly subtle in the end.

I'm gonna grab my Thing Blu-Ray and have that on while I work for the day. Gonna start work on hi-rez elements and will post them as I go!
karza
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 am

I dig it and would love to own one. +1
kryptonite
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 am

harrykeogh wrote:I like the copter and the dog, but would like them more if they were much smaller. Closer to scale with the base.

I really dig this print. Great idea. Definitely a +1 (hopefully).
Agree with all of the above.
tehhippy
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 am

Badass, I'm in.