drymounted poster

General art-related discussion.
hitmewithposters
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:23 am

I assume any of the big guns like you mention a bg105 (I was thinking fd26) would still garner pretty nice prices, especially if otherwise in great shape.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a decoupaged FD26 1st edition several years back on Ebay. sure it had been adhered to wood with shellac 30 years prior and was completely irreversible, but still, it was a very nice copy no tears, no loss of paper..etc..and went for a measly 175-300 bucks or something in that kind of range I cannot recall specifics now. Is it a "poster" anymore?? yeah in a sense, but its forever trapped under that thick ass varnish, sop in another sense its someething completely different.

but if you just want the image that would have been a way to scoop up a first edition at a damn good price.

It all depends on what your purposes are and how deep your pockets are I guess.
tranito
Art Expert

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:54 pm

My framer says its drymounting technique is 100% reversible with no damage whatsoever left on the poster.. or that would be noticeable...

He said he did it recently on a unique printing from a famous artist, not Picasso, Dali or someone in that category that everyone knows, but I would say the very next sub-category that would ring a bell to almost anyone... and well, it worked perfectly.

So I'm not sure about that 70-80% even 50% off the value as you would not even be able to say it has been drymounted in the past. Not from the front for sure maybe with a good inspection of the back of the poster, which not many people seem to do or even care what the back of the poster looks like...

I don't know just wanted to point out the other side of the medal as everyone seems to love to bash the technique and nobody seems to really have tried it or see what it really does on a poster... my two cents...
edderlyj
Art Expert

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:43 pm

[quote="tranito"]My framer says its drymounting technique is 100% reversible with no damage whatsoever left on the poster.. or that would be noticeable...

quote]

That's just drymounting unbelievable. It wouldn't be drymounting drymounting if it was reversable.

Drymount me if I ever get anything drymounted!

:shock:
Героям слава
tranito
Art Expert

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:28 pm

As I said, the guy succesfully reversed it on a thousands of dollars original by a famous dead artist that I can't remember his name, so he has to have 100% confidence on his technique unless he would not have taken the risk to assure his customer it would work if it had a chance not to... imagine he totally screws the art up.. then what ??? He has to sell his car to compensate his customer !?!?! Naaaaahh that's trustable...

Plus remember that we are heading to 2008. I mean there are lots of PJ collectors, who I guess do that since the 80's, and maybe they don't realise that techniques evolve?? That's what I'm thinking of... I can understand that when you got that 92 PJ poster, that to drymount it was to mess it up, but 15 years later it looks like there's now a way to reverse it... you know new technologies..ever heard of the expression ?? Looks like we can go on the internet, watch a movie, listen to gigs of music and take pics with a mobile phone now. That is an iphone and no, 5 years ago it was not possible. I don't know maybe I'm just a believer, but I do believe that in a few years drymounting will be a quite spread technique that will be trusted because well-tried by many as a technique that is reversible and that do not harm the poster on the long term. It's just that I'd rather believe the guy who frames it himself and reverse it himself than some guys on a forum who use drymount 10 times in 2 phrase without any concrete experience on why drymounting really destroys a poster.... make an argument now. I want facts.

With love to the drymounting PJ collectors :wink:
evillittlegoat
Art Expert

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:44 pm

The little research I've done on drymounting suggests that it is intended to be a permanent process. Basically glueing the print to a backing board using a temp activated adhesive.

I dont see how a print could be heated up to 170 degrees, stuck to a board and later be seperated from the board using a solvent and come out unscathed. Maybe your framer uses a reversal friendly glue when he drymounts, I'm sure most framers dont.
watersbrad
Art Expert

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:58 pm

I worked at a frame shop over a year ago.

At the time Neilsen-Bainbridge released a 'reversible drymount' board that could be reversed by re-heating and pulling the art off the board when the board was 're-activated' by the heat.

The bottom line is that an adhesive was applied and removed from the back of the poster when it was drymounted and reversed.

Whether it left any visible or otherwise detectable remnants from the adhesive is conjecture. I would guess that the paper was affected in some way after going through this process. Who knows, maybe the 'reverse' process actually leaves a minute trace of residue that advances the aging process after prolonged exposure to air/moisture etc.

Most frame shops will refuse to drymount an original piece of art, or even a signed and numbered edition. I know this is company policy with Michaels and Aaron Brothers.

That story about reversing the expensive art sounds too fishy to me. First of all, if we're talking about the same kind of reversible board, the expensive piece of art would have to be drymounted within the last 2-3 years because the technology didn't exist prior. And what kind of numbskull framer would initially drymount an potentially valuable piece of art in the first place?
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:31 am

I t depends on the rarity of the poster. A perfect condition [except for the drymounting] would still be worth at least 10K in my opinion. But for the most part posters will lose between 50 and , say, 85% of value.
However, some restorers can remove some dry-mounting with good results....

Phil