Spoke Art - News, Releases, Shows, & Info!

General art-related discussion.
Dario33
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:20 am

Great interview Ken -- and a worthy 500th post. 8)
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:28 am

Rainbolt wrote:
Ken wrote:Swung by Alex Pardee's Zerofriends studio today and printed some new shirts on their new printer.....

Our first line of Artist Series Apparel (Oliver Barrett) did really well and the response has been great from fans. Attendees of tomorrow night's Warriors screening at the Castro will get first glimpse at the second Artist Series, starring the one and only Brandon Schaefer, limited to only 150 shirts per design.

Awesome design, and that's from a printer? Holy Macheral...

:drool: that shirt is awesome.

And congrats on the article. Well deserved.
As artists, what are often the most important factors when working with a gallery?
Trust. Hands down, if you don’t trust your gallery, don’t work with them. If you don’t believe your gallery has your back, don’t work with them. Ultimately it doesn’t matter how much they can sell or how much they promise you, it’s about the dynamic between both.
After talking to a bunch of artists, I was surprised to hear all of the horror stories they had with some galleries. Some are still waiting on payment for something they showed months before. Find it kind of disgusting.

Read that your a sneakerhead. If you need me to look into anything in NY for you, let me know. Nike has been doing these RSVP things now.
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Congrats ken!! Great interview
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!
Dario33
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Ken's final words ring true for me as well. The pace at which my stacks of orange boxes in my closet used to grow has dwindled considerably since I seriously started collecting prints. 8)
I’m a sneakerhead, have always been and will always be, so it’s a great honor to be featured on Hypebeast as I’ve been reading the site daily since the mid 2000s. Since then though, I’ve grown up a lot and so has the site and its other readers. Art is the natural evolution for me as a collector, sneaker boxes in the closet have been slowly replaced by framed prints and paintings on the walls. If you haven’t bought an original piece of art yet, or gotten a print framed, go out there and do so. There are some amazing deals to be found, especially considering art is something you can enjoy every day, can increase in value, and will last you a lifetime.
jesseindisguise
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Dario33 wrote:Ken's final words ring true for me as well. The pace at which my stacks of orange boxes in my closet used to grow has dwindled considerably since I seriously started collecting prints. 8)
I’m a sneakerhead, have always been and will always be, so it’s a great honor to be featured on Hypebeast as I’ve been reading the site daily since the mid 2000s. Since then though, I’ve grown up a lot and so has the site and its other readers. Art is the natural evolution for me as a collector, sneaker boxes in the closet have been slowly replaced by framed prints and paintings on the walls. If you haven’t bought an original piece of art yet, or gotten a print framed, go out there and do so. There are some amazing deals to be found, especially considering art is something you can enjoy every day, can increase in value, and will last you a lifetime.
Agreed...but that doesn't change the fact that ISO JordanV Grape/Ice/Emeralds.
Blake wrote:Always Be Tubing.
Dario33
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:01 pm

jesseindisguise wrote:
Dario33 wrote:Ken's final words ring true for me as well. The pace at which my stacks of orange boxes in my closet used to grow has dwindled considerably since I seriously started collecting prints. 8)
Agreed...but that doesn't change the fact that ISO JordanV Grape/Ice/Emeralds.
<-- grails
Ken
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:05 pm

guerilladubber wrote:couldn't have pictured you differently. The drymounting avatars throw me for a loop man....
Great interview! :cheers:
Wait, so your avatar isn't a photo of you? :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone! My apologies on the late response, we've got Casey Weldon's solo show opening on Thursday and have been crazy busy. If you're in the Bay Area, come down on Thursday night (June 7th) for the show, we've got complimentary signed and numbered mini prints to give away to the first 100 attendees!

lazk
Art Expert

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Pretty hands.... & kitty.
T.K.C.
brondrew
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:03 am

That mini print is fantastic! So so cute!
ImageImage
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:37 am

That's a really generous gesture -those mini prints look really nice. I'd be attending if I was in San Fran!
RadRacing
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:51 am

Ken
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Whoa.

Wes Anderson himself gave a shout out to Spoke Art recently on Slash Film!

http://www.slashfilm.com/film-interview ... e-fan-art/
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Ken wrote:Whoa.

Wes Anderson himself gave a shout out to Spoke Art recently on Slash Film!

http://www.slashfilm.com/film-interview ... e-fan-art/
:clap: I liked Wes' anecdote about his dad.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Slashfilm: Wes, I will talk to the curator and let him know what your dad thought.

Wes Anderson:(Laughs) Thanks, but you can also tell them I certainly enjoyed looking at those pictures.
Holy congrats, Ken!
sonicboom
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:59 pm

Whoa, cool to see so many other sneakerheads here.

My collection hasn't really dwindled much since I started collecting prints, but I really haven't bought nearly as many pairs recently.

Grape 5's are indeed grails, had em in third grade, but missed the release from a few years ago.