Spoke Art - News, Releases, Shows, & Info!

General art-related discussion.

Postby Dario33 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:20 am

Great interview Ken -- and a worthy 500th post. 8)
User avatar
Dario33
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: MSP

Postby acidburn on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:28 am

Rainbolt wrote:
Ken wrote:Swung by Alex Pardee's Zerofriends studio today and printed some new shirts on their new printer.....

Our first line of Artist Series Apparel (Oliver Barrett) did really well and the response has been great from fans. Attendees of tomorrow night's Warriors screening at the Castro will get first glimpse at the second Artist Series, starring the one and only Brandon Schaefer, limited to only 150 shirts per design.

Image


Awesome design, and that's from a printer? Holy Macheral...



:drool: that shirt is awesome.

And congrats on the article. Well deserved.

As artists, what are often the most important factors when working with a gallery?
Trust. Hands down, if you don’t trust your gallery, don’t work with them. If you don’t believe your gallery has your back, don’t work with them. Ultimately it doesn’t matter how much they can sell or how much they promise you, it’s about the dynamic between both.


After talking to a bunch of artists, I was surprised to hear all of the horror stories they had with some galleries. Some are still waiting on payment for something they showed months before. Find it kind of disgusting.

Read that your a sneakerhead. If you need me to look into anything in NY for you, let me know. Nike has been doing these RSVP things now.
User avatar
acidburn
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 3839
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Postby piratesprayer on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Congrats ken!! Great interview
User avatar
piratesprayer
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:36 am
T.H.C.
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!

Postby Dario33 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Ken's final words ring true for me as well. The pace at which my stacks of orange boxes in my closet used to grow has dwindled considerably since I seriously started collecting prints. 8)

I’m a sneakerhead, have always been and will always be, so it’s a great honor to be featured on Hypebeast as I’ve been reading the site daily since the mid 2000s. Since then though, I’ve grown up a lot and so has the site and its other readers. Art is the natural evolution for me as a collector, sneaker boxes in the closet have been slowly replaced by framed prints and paintings on the walls. If you haven’t bought an original piece of art yet, or gotten a print framed, go out there and do so. There are some amazing deals to be found, especially considering art is something you can enjoy every day, can increase in value, and will last you a lifetime.
User avatar
Dario33
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: MSP

Postby jesseindisguise on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Dario33 wrote:Ken's final words ring true for me as well. The pace at which my stacks of orange boxes in my closet used to grow has dwindled considerably since I seriously started collecting prints. 8)

I’m a sneakerhead, have always been and will always be, so it’s a great honor to be featured on Hypebeast as I’ve been reading the site daily since the mid 2000s. Since then though, I’ve grown up a lot and so has the site and its other readers. Art is the natural evolution for me as a collector, sneaker boxes in the closet have been slowly replaced by framed prints and paintings on the walls. If you haven’t bought an original piece of art yet, or gotten a print framed, go out there and do so. There are some amazing deals to be found, especially considering art is something you can enjoy every day, can increase in value, and will last you a lifetime.


Agreed...but that doesn't change the fact that ISO JordanV Grape/Ice/Emeralds.
User avatar
jesseindisguise
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:05 pm
Location: Bed-Stuy
Blake wrote:Always Be Tubing.

Postby Dario33 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:01 pm

jesseindisguise wrote:
Dario33 wrote:Ken's final words ring true for me as well. The pace at which my stacks of orange boxes in my closet used to grow has dwindled considerably since I seriously started collecting prints. 8)

I’m a sneakerhead, have always been and will always be, so it’s a great honor to be featured on Hypebeast as I’ve been reading the site daily since the mid 2000s. Since then though, I’ve grown up a lot and so has the site and its other readers. Art is the natural evolution for me as a collector, sneaker boxes in the closet have been slowly replaced by framed prints and paintings on the walls. If you haven’t bought an original piece of art yet, or gotten a print framed, go out there and do so. There are some amazing deals to be found, especially considering art is something you can enjoy every day, can increase in value, and will last you a lifetime.


Agreed...but that doesn't change the fact that ISO JordanV Grape/Ice/Emeralds.

<-- grails
User avatar
Dario33
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: MSP

Postby Ken on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:05 pm

guerilladubber wrote:couldn't have pictured you differently. The drymounting avatars throw me for a loop man....
Great interview! :cheers:


Wait, so your avatar isn't a photo of you? :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone! My apologies on the late response, we've got Casey Weldon's solo show opening on Thursday and have been crazy busy. If you're in the Bay Area, come down on Thursday night (June 7th) for the show, we've got complimentary signed and numbered mini prints to give away to the first 100 attendees!

Image
User avatar
Ken
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:34 pm

Postby lazk on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Pretty hands.... & kitty.
User avatar
lazk
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 4922
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Knoxville, TN
Image T.K.C.

Postby brondrew on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:03 am

That mini print is fantastic! So so cute!
User avatar
brondrew
Art Connoisseur
 
Status:
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:51 pm
Location: Canberra, Australia
ImageImage

Postby middayshadows on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:37 am

That's a really generous gesture -those mini prints look really nice. I'd be attending if I was in San Fran!
User avatar
middayshadows
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 5193
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Image Image Image

Postby RadRacing on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:51 am

Dario33 wrote:Ken's final words ring true for me as well. The pace at which my stacks of orange boxes in my closet used to grow has dwindled considerably since I seriously started collecting prints. 8)

I’m a sneakerhead, have always been and will always be, so it’s a great honor to be featured on Hypebeast as I’ve been reading the site daily since the mid 2000s. Since then though, I’ve grown up a lot and so has the site and its other readers. Art is the natural evolution for me as a collector, sneaker boxes in the closet have been slowly replaced by framed prints and paintings on the walls. If you haven’t bought an original piece of art yet, or gotten a print framed, go out there and do so. There are some amazing deals to be found, especially considering art is something you can enjoy every day, can increase in value, and will last you a lifetime.
User avatar
RadRacing
Art Connoisseur
 
Status:
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 9:12 am
Location: CANADA

Postby Ken on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Whoa.

Wes Anderson himself gave a shout out to Spoke Art recently on Slash Film!

http://www.slashfilm.com/film-interview-wes-anderson-talks-moonrise-kingdoms-themes-credits-dark-movie-fan-art/
User avatar
Ken
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:34 pm

Postby Darkknight37 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Ken wrote:Whoa.

Wes Anderson himself gave a shout out to Spoke Art recently on Slash Film!

http://www.slashfilm.com/film-interview-wes-anderson-talks-moonrise-kingdoms-themes-credits-dark-movie-fan-art/

:clap: I liked Wes' anecdote about his dad.
User avatar
Darkknight37
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 6050
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby middayshadows on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Slashfilm: Wes, I will talk to the curator and let him know what your dad thought.

Wes Anderson:(Laughs) Thanks, but you can also tell them I certainly enjoyed looking at those pictures.


Holy congrats, Ken!
User avatar
middayshadows
Art Expert
 
Status:
Posts: 5193
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Image Image Image

Postby sonicboom on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:59 pm

Whoa, cool to see so many other sneakerheads here.

My collection hasn't really dwindled much since I started collecting prints, but I really haven't bought nearly as many pairs recently.

Grape 5's are indeed grails, had em in third grade, but missed the release from a few years ago.
User avatar
sonicboom
Art Connoisseur
 
Status:
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:24 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Art Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dsanacore, Google [Bot], GoreMetChef, Lb609, wottagunn and 8 guests