EMEK crazies

General art-related discussion.

Postby bryndavies on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:52 pm

squalie wrote:
bryndavies wrote:Giclees on dictionary paper glued to a stock mat. Oof.


My desire to acquire one of these has declined dramatically.



Yeah man, I’d go as far to say that you’ve dodged a bullet (at least at the prices on the secondary market).
User avatar
bryndavies
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9811
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:44 pm
Location: The Last Frontier
ImageT.K.C.

Postby SpaceYourAntelope on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:09 pm

bryndavies wrote:
squalie wrote:
bryndavies wrote:Giclees on dictionary paper glued to a stock mat. Oof.


My desire to acquire one of these has declined dramatically.



Yeah man, I’d go as far to say that you’ve dodged a bullet (at least at the prices on the secondary market).


I disagree - I have the 1st edition and it looks awesome in person. Run of 500 is a little extreme, but personally I love that it comes pre-matted, just pop it in an off the shelf frame and hang it immediately - not every print on the wall needs the royal framing treatment, especially a run of 500 2nd edition - but IMO a worthwhile pickup if you dig the image and don't have the 1st
SpaceYourAntelope
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Postby bryndavies on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Cool.
User avatar
bryndavies
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9811
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:44 pm
Location: The Last Frontier
ImageT.K.C.

Postby Rick_a_c on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Update on the Art Center’s handling of my damaged shipment. They (Lora) responded in an apologetic manner, and worked with me to come to a satisfactory conclusion. They thanked me for the very detailed suggestions I gave them on packing and shipping.

All in all, I evaluate how a situation is handled. They handled my situation very well, exhibiting exemplary customer service. I’ll likely do business with them again in the future.
User avatar
Rick_a_c
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9547
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: Atlanta, Ga
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.

Postby collectorstoychest on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:Update on the Art Center’s handling of my damaged shipment. They (Lora) responded in an apologetic manner, and worked with me to come to a satisfactory conclusion. They thanked me for the very detailed suggestions I gave them on packing and shipping.

All in all, I evaluate how a situation is handled. They handled my situation very well, exhibiting exemplary customer service. I’ll likely do business with them again in the future.


Glad to hear that.....I'll have to go through that process myself with them, the print I received today is brutal.
User avatar
collectorstoychest
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:30 pm

Postby Codeblue on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Pics or GTFO.
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 49798
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby peerly on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:23 am

Rick_a_c wrote:Update on the Art Center’s handling of my damaged shipment. They (Lora) responded in an apologetic manner, and worked with me to come to a satisfactory conclusion. They thanked me for the very detailed suggestions I gave them on packing and shipping.

All in all, I evaluate how a situation is handled. They handled my situation very well, exhibiting exemplary customer service. I’ll likely do business with them again in the future.

Congrats :pint:
I'm still sweating and waiting for my order :neutral:
User avatar
peerly
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

Postby lightyears2010 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:42 pm

SpaceYourAntelope wrote:
bryndavies wrote:
squalie wrote:
bryndavies wrote:Giclees on dictionary paper glued to a stock mat. Oof.


My desire to acquire one of these has declined dramatically.



Yeah man, I’d go as far to say that you’ve dodged a bullet (at least at the prices on the secondary market).


I disagree - I have the 1st edition and it looks awesome in person. Run of 500 is a little extreme, but personally I love that it comes pre-matted, just pop it in an off the shelf frame and hang it immediately - not every print on the wall needs the royal framing treatment, especially a run of 500 2nd edition - but IMO a worthwhile pickup if you dig the image and don't have the 1st


i'd agree with this if it was a $20 print...wasn't this thing $115?
User avatar
lightyears2010
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8628
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:00 am
Location: 1901 west madison street

Postby lightyears2010 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:45 pm

not to mention the listing says screen print. i won't use the term bait and switch, but let's just say i'd be less than thrilled if i had bought one.
User avatar
lightyears2010
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8628
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:00 am
Location: 1901 west madison street

Postby GoBluePanic on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 pm

SpaceYourAntelope wrote:
bryndavies wrote:
squalie wrote:
bryndavies wrote:Giclees on dictionary paper glued to a stock mat. Oof.


My desire to acquire one of these has declined dramatically.



Yeah man, I’d go as far to say that you’ve dodged a bullet (at least at the prices on the secondary market).


I disagree - I have the 1st edition and it looks awesome in person. Run of 500 is a little extreme, but personally I love that it comes pre-matted, just pop it in an off the shelf frame and hang it immediately - not every print on the wall needs the royal framing treatment, especially a run of 500 2nd edition - but IMO a worthwhile pickup if you dig the image and don't have the 1st


I agree with this. I had the dictionary print and it looked great in person. And let's be honest here, it's a print on dictionary paper. It's a novelty more than anything, especially for those that weren't able to pick up the FTW print.

lightyears2010 wrote:
SpaceYourAntelope wrote:
i'd agree with this if it was a $20 print...wasn't this thing $115?


Man, if giclees are only $20 there are a few I've overpaid on.
User avatar
GoBluePanic
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2039
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am
I'm not someone else.

Postby maddog76 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Image
User avatar
maddog76
Flipper
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1827
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:00 am

Postby lightyears2010 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:51 pm

i'm saying i wouldnt throw a $115 print into an off the shelf frame. a $20 print maybe. but $115 needs archival framing.
User avatar
lightyears2010
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8628
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:00 am
Location: 1901 west madison street

Postby Grateful69Phish on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Sounds like rick got some serious sugar for all that gravy poured in here :lol:
User avatar
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 11319
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: Nirvana

Postby SpaceYourAntelope on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:52 pm

lightyears2010 wrote:i'm saying i wouldnt throw a $115 print into an off the shelf frame. a $20 print maybe. but $115 needs archival framing.


What artists on Emeks level sell $20 limited edition prints? let alone ship them pre-matted? I see it as added value, and anyone complaining about the mat must hate free stuff! Given the 1st edition was selling ~$500 after TRPS, this is clearly a cash grab, so I dont see how anyone could expect EMEK to price this any lower than $100 + Shipping (which is essentially what this cost since shipping was free)

You can still get a ready made 11x14 frame, and upgrade the glass to UV super easy and cheap, but if you insist on going the custom framing route for all your prints, than any good framer can get creative and figure out how to work around the existing mat... Really a non-issue, and a win win for most people imo
SpaceYourAntelope
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Postby watersbrad on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 pm

maddog76 wrote:Image


I don't think anyone is debating that this service exists. But how do you know this is what Emek is using to print these?
User avatar
watersbrad
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 998
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Portland, OR

PreviousNext

Return to Art Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acidburn, chimpun, ethnosax, Google [Bot], KSUvet and 17 guests