Star Wars Art Thread

General art-related discussion.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:22 pm

I got Jar-Jar pretty easily. I went back for Vader and Boba Fett.
Tadrules
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:55 pm

electrachrome wrote:Image

with a run of only 30 I'll probably never find one for myself...and now that more of y'all know about it, well...
these were for sale on some uk site for 1200. so pist at myself of not grabbing one. damn money getting in the way!

my fav so far is the slater yoda. cheap too! compared to some of the others.
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
swabie2424
Art Expert

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:05 am

dylansdad wrote:I'm sure there are a few people who have been counting down the days until the series ends so the Star Wars fans would stop hogging the Mondo thread.
Yeah... that's what I was thinking. This way, if we continue talking about all the Mondo Star Wars stuff in here for months on end... the folks who aren't interested in the regular Mondo thread won't kill us!
deetjay wrote:Excellent idea for a thread.
Thanks.

Here's a new print ACME will be releasing soon from artist Jerry Vanderstelt as a limited edition giclee. If you are unaware, at Star Wars Celebration V, George Lucas premiered a new never-before-seen scene from ROTJ where Luke builds his green lightsaber in a cave on Tatooine. That scene will be on the upcoming Blu-Ray release and is the inspiration for this piece from Jerry. Building your own saber is considered a rite of passage for a Jedi... so this is a big moment! Seeing the scene for the first time with hundreds of Star Wars fans screaming/cheering wildly gave me goosebumps. An awesome "moment"....

Also, here's three close-ups from Jerry's last few pieces for those who may not be overly familiar with his work...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
yingko
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:14 am

I saw the Luke lightsabre one on RS a couple weeks ago and really dug it. Just nervous how much Acme is going to sell it for. Frank Stockton also did a piece where Luke is building his lightsabre, but there are no printed versions of them:

Another Stockton:

He's quickly become a favorite of mine.
gonesolo
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:48 am

dylansdad wrote:
alteridiom wrote:I'll throw this in here. I was cleaning a spare closet out and found a box with some silly little Burger King Star Wars toys in them. They are unopened. I have 8 of them. They are:

Wicket
Jar Jar Binks
R2-D2
Millennium Falcon
Chewbacca
Padme Amidala
Wampa
Sith

If anybody wants them let me know.
Would you believe that I kept going back to Burger King over and over until I had a complete set of those?
Same here. :roll:
Codeblue wrote:Oof.
10_pearljam
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:59 am

alteridiom wrote:I'll throw this in here. I was cleaning a spare closet out and found a box with some silly little Burger King Star Wars toys in them. They are unopened. I have 8 of them. They are:

Wicket
Jar Jar Binks
R2-D2
Millennium Falcon
Chewbacca
Padme Amidala
Wampa
Sith

I would love them. What are you looking for to take them off your hands?
10_pearljam
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:01 am

I had no idea there was so much Star Wars Art/Prints out there.

That Stout set is sick...I would love to get my hands on that set but the coin is ridiculous right now...way out of my league for the moment... :?
guryter
Art Expert

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:21 pm

Wicket
Jar Jar Binks
R2-D2
Millennium Falcon
Chewbacca
Padme Amidala
Wampa
Sith

This reminded me of a box I have at my parents house with all Kenner baggie figures in them. Vader, obi-wan and luke with the plastic capes and sliding in arm light sabers. And yoda with the snake around his neck :lol:

I never did find out if those were early bird or mail aways.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:39 pm

ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
middayshadows
Art Expert

Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Those Frank Stockton Illos are nice - shame one of them wasn't a print.

Vanderstelt captured Natalie Portman's likeness 100 %.
emac
Art Expert

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Latest acquisition, purchased in between the Moss and Stout drops. I have no idea where I'm going to put it (it's drymounting huge), but I just couldn't resist. :) Seems to be legit in all ways -- I guess I could have it looked at by an expert, but it's probably not worth the time and money to me to jump through those hoops. Anyone here know the criteria by which to gauge whether it's an authentic one-sheet or not?
ioioos
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:17 pm

emac wrote:Image

Latest acquisition, purchased in between the Moss and Stout drops. I have no idea where I'm going to put it (it's drymounting huge), but I just couldn't resist. :) Seems to be legit in all ways -- I guess I could have it looked at by an expert, but it's probably not worth the time and money to me to jump through those hoops. Anyone here know the criteria by which to gauge whether it's an authentic one-sheet or not?
Hard to tell from the pic. Its slightly glossy, which makes me think is one of the Fan Club one sheets (circa 1982). If it is, then I have this one in the loft somewhere. Always annoyed me that one walker was toppling over on its own.
emac
Art Expert

Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:06 pm

ioioos wrote:
emac wrote:Image

Hard to tell from the pic. Its slightly glossy, which makes me think is one of the Fan Club one sheets (circa 1982). If it is, then I have this one in the loft somewhere. Always annoyed me that one walker was toppling over on its own.
It is a bit glossy, and also on very very thin stock. Did the fan club one-sheets have studio language at the bottom about destroying them after use or the studio "code number" for which film it was for? This one has both of those on the very bottom. I can't find any fuzziness to imply it's a copy, myself.
yingko
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:38 pm

10_pearljam wrote:I had no idea there was so much Star Wars Art/Prints out there.

That Stout set is sick...I would love to get my hands on that set but the coin is ridiculous right now...way out of my league for the moment... :?
Check out Rebelscum.com or some of the SW fan sites. There's a TON of SW art, but, it's a completely different aesthetic to me.
ioioos
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:51 am

Personally I don't like 99% of the art that is sanctioned for Star Wars.

Much as I adore the franchise, I find that most of the art produced is nothing more that clique prog rock type interpitations. A bit like all the cheap posters you could buy at the shops where some scantily clad space maiden wrapped around a serpent. I'm doing some an injustice, but there are so many almost photographic quality paintings of characters its almost boring.

The ones I prefer are when an artist tries to re-interperit. Like the Last Princess of Alderaan, the 1920's Russian insprired Celebration Posters, or the JAke prints.

There are some truely talented painters out there doing Star Wars art, but at the end of the day, there are only so my clique "reflective" poses you can paint. I would much rather a one sheet or new approach competely than yet another image of something being reflected in Boba Fetts helmet.