Welker Studio Updates

General art-related discussion.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Fri May 25, 2018 8:03 am

rikkirattoe wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:I think the first deal was better, BD Pollock yo. And imo the color Maze is better than the silver, although it is selling for less.
Checked out my buddy's color Maze. Much nicer looking than the silver screenprint IMO.
Agree- the giclee image appears to have more depth, better pop on the details- Plus the embossment 8)
ChrisV
Art Expert

Fri May 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:
rikkirattoe wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:I think the first deal was better, BD Pollock yo. And imo the color Maze is better than the silver, although it is selling for less.
Checked out my buddy's color Maze. Much nicer looking than the silver screenprint IMO.
Agree- the giclee image appears to have more depth, better pop on the details- Plus the embossment 8)
I loved the silver when I saw it. It's already at the framers. Should have it by the end of next month.
fredo
Art God

Fri May 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Glory hole for to rub embossing? #justthetip
just a foil for me today, thanks
cotis
Art Expert

Wed May 30, 2018 9:31 am

chalkdust
Art Expert

Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 am

I love Phish, but that thing is fugly
dmm8878
Art Expert

Wed May 30, 2018 9:44 am

chalkdust wrote:I love Phish, but that thing is fugly
Obligatory "but will it flip?" :-P
ottomatik71 wrote:Your punk ass attitude isn't going to help you get this print.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed May 30, 2018 10:06 am

Won’t flip, it’s pretty small, fairly large edition size and price and I’m sure many will feel how chalkdust feels. After that Maze release could easily see 50+ of these on eBay this afternoon undercutting each other. But I love it! Also love this release note from Welker:

Back in 1996 as Phish was finishing the recording of their 6th studio album "Billy Breaths" they approached me to see how I might interpret a particular fish eyed lens selfie taken by a certain bass player on a computer camera in the recording studio. On its own, Mike's nose is a majestic thing of beauty... a veritable wonderland of luxurious real estate. In the context of a 1996 fish eyed computer lens it suddenly took on other worldly dimensions. At the time I was doing my own odd take on 20th Century Cubism, so the band sort of half expected to see a Picasso-Braque Cubist interpretation of this image. For this piece though I decided to return to my Surrealist roots and I penciled a preliminary drawing that had the feel of an alien sea creature. A crustacean multi-beast washing ashore. I spent the next two weeks reinterpreting the image into a large colorful oil painting. I drove up to the Bearsville studio on the final day of mixing and stepped out of the car to see the band gathering around in the driveway to see the piece. Their expressions suddenly mirrored the painting itself. I remember Jon Fishman saying "Man that nose is really heavy metal!...". I met the producer Steve Lillywhite who gave me a demo in how to use an Etherwave-Theremin. I played ping pong on the upper deck of this amazing barn turned recording studio with Trey, the resident table tennis shark of Bearsville. Later on we all relaxed and listened to the final mix of Billy Breathes on a seriously amazing sound system.

Needless to say it was a memorable day for me. So...return to present day, and see me up on a ladder digging through a crawl space and opening boxes to find several old drawings including this sketch from 1996. Only the "Nose Knows", how the Schnoz of Destiny wound up in that dusty old box. It's a miracle anything survived those days, especially me. So its my pleasure to release a limited edition print of this fortuitous find.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Wed May 30, 2018 10:17 am

cotis wrote:Image

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
noeldaddy
Art Expert

Wed May 30, 2018 10:57 am

lol at all the negativity
- "large edition size" - yeah people said that about maze
- "pretty small" - like that for the walls
- "fugly" - sure dude, it's one of welker's most iconic paintings.. but hey i'm sure you prefer art that hangs in a dentist's office. this one's weird, different, trippy, and way detailed. it's an image that's grown on me a ton over the years, and i'm not even a phish guy.
let's take a look at some other details
- pencil sketch? check
- deckled edges? check
- older welker image? check
- a treat for the phans? check

i mean unless you clowns are trying to anti-hype, i don't see where you're coming from at all
ImageImage
chalkdust
Art Expert

Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 am

Wow, wasn't trying to anti hype anything, just my opinion. Not really a fan of dentist office art, I thought you might know that since we've hung out a couple times. Not sure what crawled up your ass..
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed May 30, 2018 11:15 am

I was trying to anti-hype; way to ruin it. Ruiner.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed May 30, 2018 11:16 am

noeldaddy wrote:lol at all the negativity
- "fugly" - sure dude, it's one of welker's most iconic paintings.. but hey i'm sure you prefer art that hangs in a dentist's office. this one's weird, different, trippy, and way detailed. it's an image that's grown on me a ton over the years, and i'm not even a phish guy.
- pencil sketch? check
- deckled edges? check

i mean unless you clowns are trying to anti-hype, i don't see where you're coming from at all
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 30, 2018 11:22 am

noeldaddy wrote:lol at all the negativity
- pencil sketch? check
- deckled edges? check

Obviously an attempt to anti-hype

Phish + Welker = $$$
bryndavies
Art Expert

Wed May 30, 2018 11:51 am

The thing is ugly. But Phish. #recycle
ImageT.K.C.
admhall
Art Expert

Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am

Is this dropping on bottleneck or welker s site
ImageStout Lotto "0-fer"