Damage poster received

General art-related discussion.
nc
EB Team

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:47 pm

So here is my question/dilemma...

I sold someone a poster and when they received it they said they paid for a different poster than what was sent. During the communication, the band name and city of show were mentioned - no artist, company, or picture like when you click the make offer here on EB to see the poster is specifically talking about. Basically, an honest mistake on my part do to lack of information. I am understandable regarding the situation, so I told the person to send it back to me and I'll refund his money.

I received the poster today and it is not in the condition that it was when I mailed it to him. There are many very noticeable creases and bend marks. The buyer also shoved the poster end cap inside the tube and used tape to close thae side where it would have gone.

I have enclosed a picture to show the condition of the poster
So this poster is basically worthless now, what should I do - send the poster back, send some money, do nothing?

Thank you for your input. I strive to use the highest ethics possible in my trades/poster exchanges here but have never had to deal with this before.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:45 am

Honestly, my first thought is that (of course) it depends on what the print is - both in terms of rarity (how hard for you to replace it) and what the "value" is - how much was the deal for?

I ask because if it was a $20 sale, I'd eat the cost. Yes it sucks but it's also $20 - that's 3 lunches to me so I'd eat PBJ for three days and suck it up.
If it's $150, that's a bit different. I contact the buyer and explain the problem and try to work something out. On one hand, you didn't clarify the artist or image, but then again - neither did they.
Tra la la la la...
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:08 am

I agree with Yamar.

Look at that end cap, too. The guy was obviously being a prick. He should incur the cost(or at least SOME of it) for the original poster sent.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:56 pm

I take it there was no postal insurance involved here.
Flimby

Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:59 pm

agree with yamar and wtf is with stuffing the end cap in the tube?
no good can come from that
mfs67
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:24 pm

Is there any damage to the tube?
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:52 pm

That is a hard case to nail down. If there ever was a reason for having that make offer feature, that is the one.
nc
EB Team

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:15 pm

Thank you all for your time and input.
Yamar wrote:Honestly, my first thought is that (of course) it depends on what the print is - both in terms of rarity (how hard for you to replace it) and what the "value" is - how much was the deal for?
Specifically speaking, I said "I can send the UM South Bend print to you $25 shipped." The print was $30 at the show without shipping, tracking, etc.
Codeblue wrote:I take it there was no postal insurance involved here.
That is correct, no insurance was involved. He clearly put the cap in the tube as it was very well taped inside of the tube. What puzzles me is why spend extra shipping FedEx when one can send cheaper using USPS if you are just going to return it dmaged anyway.
mfs67 wrote:Is there any damage to the tube?

No damage to the tube, and it was shipped by FEDEX who generally speaking are one of the couriers that I have had consistently better experiences with.
sunsetbrew wrote:If there ever was a reason for having that make offer feature, that is the one.
Amen Sunset !!! :lol: Using that wonderful feature you created for EB would have eliminated this from ever happening. I always use it as I have so much going on with a job, fiancee, side projects, etc.

So I think what I am going to do is send the buyer a partial refund to cover the costs. Thank you again for everyone's input. This website is definitely the most valuable for me regarding posters. Cheers!
treesis
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:37 pm

ncernak wrote: No damage to the tube, and it was shipped by FEDEX who generally speaking are one of the couriers that I have had consistently better experiences with.
The buyer could always take it up with Fed-Ex to try and reclaim some of the lost money that way. They have an automatic insurance limit of $500.00. Did the buyer agree they sent back the poster in such crummy condition? Seems likely but could have been a Fed-Ex issue. IMO the buyer is a bozo who sent your poster back in a crummy way. Your offer of partial refund seems like a good way to go. Good luck!