Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
Jon1701
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 am

Kramerica wrote:I think the variants especially will be pretty hard to come by in a few months, it seems most people want to get theirs in glass right away and will therefore probably not be trading/selling them very willingly. I think the amount of regs will cause the immediate price drop still think they will ultimately increase in value. Doesn't really matter to me since I am neither trading nor selling either of them.
probably. Frank spiked then dropped the gradually rose again. See the same here. The variant, who knows. Certainly holding up stronger.
“Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. Boom, a sad desk. Boom, sad wall. It’s art. Anything is anything.”
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 pm

RomanMorales wrote:My set up for The Thing frame job, pre-matte..... Somehow my Struzan variant went unsigned. I'm sure Mondo will make it right and get me a signed one. Until then, this is what it will look like before I get it to a framer.... I've been waiting a loooong time for all of these pieces to come together.... Does anyone else have a variant or reg that went unsigned?
Man, I was thinking of doing the exact same setup-- I was thinking the frame would have to be custom made with an exposed wood bar that separates the Englert from the Struzan though.
ImageImageImage
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Jon1701 wrote:
Kramerica wrote:I think the variants especially will be pretty hard to come by in a few months, it seems most people want to get theirs in glass right away and will therefore probably not be trading/selling them very willingly. I think the amount of regs will cause the immediate price drop still think they will ultimately increase in value. Doesn't really matter to me since I am neither trading nor selling either of them.
probably. Frank spiked then dropped the gradually rose again. See the same here. The variant, who knows. Certainly holding up stronger.
I don't doubt that will happen, but the people who think 2 weeks from now variants will be selling at $1500 are deluded.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
Jon1701
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:08 pm

zombiedictator wrote:
Jon1701 wrote:
I don't doubt that will happen, but the people who think 2 weeks from now variants will be selling at $1500 are deluded.

few years from now maybe, never know. Wouldn't presume anything with this. Kinda unique print. Think about 800/900 is where it will settle for a while.
“Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. Boom, a sad desk. Boom, sad wall. It’s art. Anything is anything.”
ESOELZ
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Jon1701 wrote:
Struzan is a serious long-term investment. The value will only rise as they become harder to find. According to this site, someone sold a Frankenstein print for $1100 recently. I am not surprised.

The "dips" you see are easily explained by introductory economic theory. First there is a high supply, then market demand pushes prices down, then low supply brings the prices back up. The graph you reference is very short-term.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:11 pm

I can see trades happening with the Struzan; which likely will limit the demand to those that frequent EB. Don't think this is going to be a big mover for cash purchase on ebay due to the lack of billing/title. Of course, one has to consider there are fans of Drew's and maybe some Carpenter fans (non-EB'ers) who might be willing to pay the higher cash/price that folks are listing (doubtful.)
ESOELZ
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:16 pm

IWish wrote:I can see trades happening with the Struzan; which likely will limit the demand to those that frequent EB. Don't think this is going to be a big mover for cash purchase on ebay due to the lack of billing/title. Of course, one has to consider there are fans of Drew's and maybe some Carpenter fans (non-EB'ers) who might be willing to pay the higher cash/price that folks are listing (doubtful.)
I know a guy who just sold his regular Thing print to someone in the UK for $800. I wouldn't underestimate the cash some people are willing to spend for a name like Drew Struzan. The only time I sold a high-dollar Stout print, it was to a former Seinfeld writer who probably didn't think twice about the price. Just sayin'!
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:25 pm

ESOELZ wrote:
Jon1701 wrote:
Struzan is a serious long-term investment. The value will only rise as they become harder to find. According to this site, someone sold a Frankenstein print for $1100 recently. I am not surprised.

The "dips" you see are easily explained by introductory economic theory. First there is a high supply, then market demand pushes prices down, then low supply brings the prices back up. The graph you reference is very short-term.
I'm more comparing it to something like Moss' Totoro. That $90 variant peaked at roughly 9x in what, a week or so? It never really dipped until for quite a while, and now runs for roughly 6x cost. I'm just thinking this will be like most Mondo popular artists: dramatic initial uptick, then a drop, then a slow but steady rise. Stuff like Moss' Totoro is an incredibly rare exception, and expecting this to follow that would put the variant peak at roughly 3 grand in a couple of weeks, which, call me crazy, I don't see happening.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:36 pm

ESOELZ wrote:I know a guy who just sold his regular Thing print to someone in the UK for $800. I wouldn't underestimate the cash some people are willing to spend for a name like Drew Struzan. The only time I sold a high-dollar Stout print, it was to a former Seinfeld writer who probably didn't think twice about the price. Just sayin'!
Yes, no doubt there will be exceptions. It would be interesting to know if that particular UK'er has purchased from that seller in the past. Those in the UK don't quite have the same opportunities acquiring these prints as we do. What I'm getting at is, if I were located in the UK with a "trusted" US source...yes, I would pay a premium with the knowledge that this particular seller knows how to ship and is trustworthy in getting me the print in good condition...a worry free purchase is worth the higher price in this case.
selassielion
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:50 pm

^ Awesome. Thats gonna be one big, expensive frame sir!
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:34 pm

selassielion wrote:^ Awesome. Thats gonna be one big, expensive frame sir!
I think the idea is good. I'm just not crazy about the blue prints/red handbills...kinda' clashes. A good framer will know how to pull it together, I'm sure.
RomanMorales
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:45 pm

IWish wrote:
selassielion wrote:^ Awesome. Thats gonna be one big, expensive frame sir!
I think the idea is good. I'm just not crazy about the blue prints/red handbills...kinda' clashes. A good framer will know how to pull it together, I'm sure.
Yeah, I have that concern as well. I had a piece framed with Billy Perkin's Good, the Bad and the Ugly ng with some lobby cards. We were able to fix clashes with the matte and unique card placement choices. In the end, it all worked out. I'm guessing I won't really know till it's too late.
"Listen, the next revolution is gonna be a revolution of ideas." - Bill Hicks Image
ESOELZ
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm looking to buy an MMMX ticket if anyone has one. PM me!

I basically finish college on Friday, July 6th and would love to celebrate with that show. I would gladly be a PB at a future Austin event to return the favor.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:47 pm

ESOELZ wrote:Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm looking to buy an MMMX ticket if anyone has one. PM me!
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 26&t=80270