Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Codeblue wrote: Considering the first 2 JP posters have no people on them, and the BTTF shows Mr. J Fox's shadow, it's pretty obvious. Whether likeness rights are being worked on, is another matter. It would certainly explain the long delay.
Best example of a comparible series they've had is Star Wars.
If anything I'd assume it would work like that - bunch of art prints slowly leading up to the big theatrical type posters. Since that's our only real point of comparison, I wonder why people are guessing at anything different.
charter
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:01 pm

chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:04 pm

charter wrote:Image
:heart: :-D
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
jbofctu
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:07 pm

iambillyg wrote:
finalfilppula wrote:You made me squint real hard for this one, Billy.

http://vladrodriguez.bigcartel.com/prod ... runner-new
Sorry man. I should have just posted the link. Really like his The Shining piece.
Saw the blade runner a few weeks back and bookmarked it. Really like but don't want spend that much for a litho.
qtully
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:07 pm

any san diego/southern california residents here's a way to win some SDCC tickets from the best radio station in the country.

The San Diego phenomenon that is Comic-Con is less than a week away, and guess what? We've got your shot at free passes!

There are three ways to win:

First, listen to the FM 94/9 Morning Show on Monday (7/9) at 7:30am, they'll play a movie clip from a famous movie. Be the 9th caller and identify the movie and character and you'll score a pair of one-day Comic-Con passes! They'll do this on Wednesday and Friday as well, so you got that going for you... which is nice...

Second, this Monday we're having our second annual FM 94/9 Promosapien Scavenger Hunt... We'll be at Dave and Busters from 6 to 7pm, setup in the back. Here's what you gotta bring:
1. Action figure (Doll or a Lego man will work)
2. Guitar Pick.
3. Comic Book
4. Copy of Citybeat Magazine
5. A VHS tape of any kind
6. A to-go menu from a Mexican Restaurant
7. A trophy (we prefer the ones that say "Participant")
8. Band T-shirt
9. A bar of Surf Wax
10. A Zippo Lighter
Show up with all these items between 6 and 7pm and you'll be entered in the raffle to win a pair of Comic Con tickets!

Third, we'll have one final Comic-Con Random Act of Kindness on Wednesday (7/11) at a secret location... The only way to find out is to listen Tuesday morning to the FM 94/9 Morning Show, they'll give you all the details.
So there you have it. 3 ways to score Comic-Con Passes!
And don't forget about our new Commercial Free Mondays! Every Monday, 24 hours of music! Seriously- ZERO Commericals and nothing but music. You're welcome.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:08 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
Codeblue wrote: Considering the first 2 JP posters have no people on them, and the BTTF shows Mr. J Fox's shadow, it's pretty obvious. Whether likeness rights are being worked on, is another matter. It would certainly explain the long delay.
If anything I'd assume it would work like that - bunch of art prints slowly leading up to the big theatrical type posters. Since that's our only real point of comparison, I wonder why people are guessing at anything different.
Except these aren't art prints. There's really not much of a reason to use Mr. J Fox's shadow in a BTTF movie poster, when you have likeness rights. The Star Wars posters also came out in rapid succession, these not so much.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Codeblue wrote: Except these aren't art prints. There's really not much of a reason to use Mr. J Fox's shadow in a BTTF movie poster, when you have likeness rights. The Star Wars posters also came out in rapid succession, these not so much.
They only had SW for a year exactly, so they had to rush through them all. No idea about LotR, but they said JP was like a 3 year license so they're spreading it out. Maybe BttF is the same?
I guess we'll see. I'd like a traditional, theatrical collage style poster as much as the next guy, but if they couldn't work it out I'm really happy with this Horkey.
pewter14
EB Team

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:15 pm

I'd roll my eyes at all the crazy, uninformed speculation about likeness rights flying around in here ... but ... it sure beats pictures of ponies and spiderman.

(wait for it ... )

edit - jokey joke joke people ... wasn't trying to be all MOD in here ... this thread is indeed for this EXACT discussion.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Perhaps ya should recheck the thread title.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:20 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
Codeblue wrote: Except these aren't art prints. There's really not much of a reason to use Mr. J Fox's shadow in a BTTF movie poster, when you have likeness rights. The Star Wars posters also came out in rapid succession, these not so much.
They only had SW for a year exactly, so they had to rush through them all. No idea about LotR, but they said JP was like a 3 year license so they're spreading it out. Maybe BttF is the same?
I guess we'll see. I'd like a traditional, theatrical collage style poster as much as the next guy, but if they couldn't work it out I'm really happy with this Horkey.
SInce it is a three year license and we are almost at a year gone, and 2 prints so far, I wonder if they are just going to do like 2 or 3 a year or go slow and then get a lot near the end. Also maybe there will do a print when they release JP in theaters again for 3D next year.
Awesome
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Ya still waiting for that Jurassic Park Stout, any day now.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Awesome wrote:Ya still waiting for that Jurassic Park Stout, any day now.
I would think he will end the series. So another 2 years
Awesome
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:45 pm

That's really one of the posters I really want, along with a Stout Matrix with glow in the dark Matrix code in the background.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Codeblue wrote:
daviddelgadoh wrote:
Except these aren't art prints. There's really not much of a reason to use Mr. J Fox's shadow in a BTTF movie poster, when you have likeness rights. The Star Wars posters also came out in rapid succession, these not so much.
I have no idea about the likeness rights, but Horkey doesn't generally do likenesses in his prints anyway (other than rays, dinosaurs, hooded birds, etc), so I don't know that I would say this print proves anything in regards to licenses.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:57 pm

What better artist to choose for the first poster then!