Grateful Dead poster resources?

General art-related discussion.
labonte
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:43 pm

Does anyone know of good online or printed resources to help distinguish first edition Grateful Dead posters from reprints, both official and bootleg. There's a lot of good info here and there on EB, but we could use a lot more, especially with all the fakes on ebay.

Right now I'm wondering about this one (GD & The Who '76):

http://www.expressobeans.com/show.php?id=6538
morst
EB Team

Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:12 pm

labonte wrote:Does anyone know of good online or printed resources to help distinguish first edition Grateful Dead posters from reprints, both official and bootleg. There's a lot of good info here and there on EB, but we could use a lot more, especially with all the fakes on ebay.

Right now I'm wondering about this one (GD & The Who '76):

http://www.expressobeans.com/show.php?id=6538
Erik King's book is helpful for the stuff it lists.

It does not list this though. . .

Good question. . . I dunno.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
franklinstowr
Flipper

Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:23 pm

You could always place a call to the psychedelic solution in NYC. Good guys over there, and love to talk posters. Ask for Brad
labonte
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:50 pm

Thanks for the tips!
iver
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:56 pm

Replying to an old post here but last Dec/Nov Psychedelic Sol'n was bought out by wolfgangsvault (as were many other retailers). This was about 1 week before I went down to NYC to go to the store!

sixtiesposters.com has quite a few good notes regarding different printings of BG and FD posters. It's the only online site I know of that has these kinds of notes, at least for a number of posters (David Singer mentions the differences in multiple printings on some of his posters at his site davidsinger.com)

Eric King's guide as mentioned earlier is probably the best bet.
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:21 pm

as I recall the original has a sharp, crisp credit line. Phil
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:28 pm

franklinstowr wrote:You could always place a call to the psychedelic solution in NYC. Good guys over there, and love to talk posters. Ask for Brad
i don't know brad personally. Someone recommended him to me a year or so ago and I got an "are we next" from him. He seemed very honest and we made a good deal as far as I am concerned.

Thomas
morst
EB Team

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:50 pm

iver wrote:Replying to an old post here but last Dec/Nov Psychedelic Sol'n was bought out by wolfgangsvault (as were many other retailers). This was about 1 week before I went down to NYC to go to the store!
ZOINKS!
Thanks for the good info, Phil!

If anyone doesn't know Phil, his site is artrock.com and he knows a TON about the subject of old GD stuff. (and more!)
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.