Martin Ansin thread

General art-related discussion.
SheldonCooper

Thu May 03, 2012 12:06 pm

aivc wrote:
SheldonCooper wrote:Thx for all the advice, yeah, I was a bit ignorant, found out later that Tron, SP is Ansin, and WOK Stout. I definitely want to get WOK (I just started watching the ST movies ^^ ), and Tron Legacy. And if I get my prints, I would never do trades (plus I'm in Europe, so it would be a bit unpractical).

I'm holding off a bit, first of all coz I don't have right now 150 bucks to blow on a print (Max Payne 3 and Diablo III say hello ^^ ), and also because I'm waiting to see what they'll do with Prometheus, Spidey and Dark Knight Rises, pretty sure there'll be a print for each of them, and I'm eager to see what they'll do, hope I'll have better luck this time ordering one (not like the Avengers fiasco).

Otherwise, I know it's not the thread for this, but I took a look at Stout's work and I find most of them horrible, especially the outlines on the faces, with those horrendous colors, the SW ones are terrible I think. In fact, I couldn't believe it when I saw he did the Wrath Of Khan print because it looks ten thousand times better than the rest of his prints.

Ansin seems much more consistent.
Very refreshing to see another new-comer who doesn't make Stout to be a god of prints or something. Seems like everyone on Eb loves him. I personnaly don't think his prints are awesome, it just looks like he "assembles" all the character from a movie into a single poster. I mean, it's really not bad, but I do think his work is a bit overrated, especially on these boards.

BTW, where are you from in Europe ? I'm in Belgium.
From France, but I don't like to say it :D
yesterday
Art Expert

Thu May 03, 2012 12:09 pm

Ansin Prometheus
:drool:
Image Image
iambillyg
Art Freak

Thu May 03, 2012 12:13 pm

yesterday wrote:Ansin Prometheus
:drool:
Don't jinx it!

Also, I saw that El Topo at Dr.Scott44's house yesterday, SO nice in person.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Thu May 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Ansin is my favorite artist, but I do enjoy Stout. I think Stout's strength is his design/layout/composition. He knows just what to put in and leave out, where to place it, etc. But Ansin is showing that he's a master at that as well, with less fear of negative space. His likenesses and line work put him over the top, though, and he changes things around and experiments with his design so that you never know exactly what to expect. I think I know what a Stout Avengers will look like, and I will love it. But Ansin's Thor is the best in the series for me.
wmd
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 pm

dylansdad wrote:Ansin is my favorite artist
tranito
Art Expert

Thu May 03, 2012 12:51 pm

dylansdad wrote:Ansin is my favorite artist, but I do enjoy Stout. I think Stout's strength is his design/layout/composition. He knows just what to put in and leave out, where to place it, etc. But Ansin is showing that he's a master at that as well, with less fear of negative space. His likenesses and line work put him over the top, though, and he changes things around and experiments with his design so that you never know exactly what to expect. I think I know what a Stout Avengers will look like, and I will love it. But Ansin's Thor is the best in the series for me.
I feel that Stout doesn't get enough credit for his likenesses and his really unique and instantly recognizable ''square-ish'' linework.
He gets more details out of these faces than anybody else.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
selassielion
Art Expert

Sat May 05, 2012 8:44 am

tranito wrote: He gets more details out of these faces than anybody else.
Agreed, but this guy ain't too shabby either:

Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sat May 05, 2012 3:32 pm

dylansdad wrote:Ansin is my favorite artist, but I do enjoy Stout. I think Stout's strength is his design/layout/composition. He knows just what to put in and leave out, where to place it, etc. But Ansin is showing that he's a master at that as well, with less fear of negative space. His likenesses and line work put him over the top, though, and he changes things around and experiments with his design so that you never know exactly what to expect. I think I know what a Stout Avengers will look like, and I will love it. But Ansin's Thor is the best in the series for me.
Agreed on everything. Never letting go of that GID Ansin Thor.
fanboy
Art Expert

Sat May 05, 2012 10:16 pm

They all have their pros & cons. But, Ansin is by far my favorite when it comes to likenesses. Taylor has his strengths but a lot of his faces look almost elderly due to his linework. Stout is incredible at capturing a likeness with minimal lines.
ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 am

SheldonCooper wrote: ...but I took a look at Stout's work and I find most of them horrible, especially the outlines on the faces, with those horrendous colors, the SW ones are terrible I think. In fact, I couldn't believe it when I saw he did the Wrath Of Khan print because it looks ten thousand times better than the rest of his prints.
Wow. I've passed on WoK because it looks way too clean, almost un-Stoutish with the lack of secondary line-work. Maybe it's your monitor. I think you might change your mind if you were to see one of the great Stouts, like The Thing, in person. If you aren't blown away by the utter perfection of each jagged, nervous line, you might check yourself for a pulse.

I was just thinking the other day of what will be considered Stout's Golden Age-- I think it starts with 2007's Big Trouble in Little China, peaks with 2008's The Thing and his last great piece that is very Stoutish being 2011's Kill Bill Variant.

AOP13 seemed to me to be the end of the Era. WoK doesn't really do anything for me. The Avengers I can't wait to see, but I think that a 9 color screenprint detracts from the Stout qualities that I like so much. When Stout has 4 colors, he has to work harder which means more line work and less print shadowing.

Stout Star Wars terrible? WoK 10k times better? Man, I cannot even fathom how we can both admire Ansin, but be so in disagreement about Stout.

To me, this line work is genius.

Sorry to post a Stout picture in the Ansin thread.
ImageImageImage
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 6:04 pm

hongkongcavaliers wrote:
SheldonCooper wrote: ...but I took a look at Stout's work and I find most of them horrible, especially the outlines on the faces, with those horrendous colors, the SW ones are terrible I think. In fact, I couldn't believe it when I saw he did the Wrath Of Khan print because it looks ten thousand times better than the rest of his prints.
Wow. I've passed on WoK because it looks way too clean, almost un-Stoutish with the lack of secondary line-work. Maybe it's your monitor. I think you might change your mind if you were to see one of the great Stouts, like The Thing, in person. If you aren't blown away by the utter perfection of each jagged, nervous line, you might check yourself for a pulse.

I was just thinking the other day of what will be considered Stout's Golden Age-- I think it starts with 2007's Big Trouble in Little China, peaks with 2008's The Thing and his last great piece that is very Stoutish being 2011's Kill Bill Variant.

AOP13 seemed to me to be the end of the Era. WoK doesn't really do anything for me. The Avengers I can't wait to see, but I think that a 9 color screenprint detracts from the Stout qualities that I like so much. When Stout has 4 colors, he has to work harder which means more line work and less print shadowing.

Stout Star Wars terrible? WoK 10k times better? Man, I cannot even fathom how we can both admire Ansin, but be so in disagreement about Stout.

Rebafiend just hooked me up with the SW set last week. The JPGs are pretty tight. Looks much better in person...so good. WOK is also great. Didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.
Gkohler
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 7:03 pm

hongkongcavaliers wrote:

i find myself staring that this piece often.. so many lines.

Ansin is becoming my favorite artist as well. his work is incredible! hoping for a Conan this friday......
"We're growing mold, on the fruits of our labors"
Xander
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Does Ansin do commissions?
Marty85
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 07, 2012 12:56 pm

rubberneck wrote:Some pics of the El Topo variant:

As said prior, the metallics make it pop more than the regular, imo...
this looks amazing i recently got a regular and i have to say it is one of my favorites Ansin is the man.
willg
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Xander wrote:Does Ansin do commissions?

I always assumed his stuff was digital. Anyone know if that's the case?