Martin Ansin thread

General art-related discussion.
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Tue May 01, 2012 7:34 pm

El Topo is so much more than just a trippy mind-bender. It's one of the original midnight movies along with Eraserhead and Pink Flamingos. This along with many others paved the way for the modern cult-classics...truly remarkable film drenched in surreal metaphor and shocking, yet somehow beautiful, imagery. If you care about film, even in the slightest, you owe it to yourself to give this one a shot.

Oh yeah, +1 on the print. I have the variant that I picked up from a member here from the scratch and dent thread, so it will be nice to have one minty fresh.
edg1218
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Pick up this set. It's cheap with great transfers and you will learn something. 3 movies and comes with a soundtrack CD.
Do it!

http://www.amazon.com/Films-Alejandro-J ... B000NY1E9E
dsanacore
Art Expert

Tue May 01, 2012 7:50 pm

edg1218 wrote:Pick up this set. It's cheap with great transfers and you will learn something. 3 movies and comes with a soundtrack CD.
Do it!

Does it come with limited paper?
Image Image
edg1218
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 01, 2012 7:54 pm

dsanacore wrote:
edg1218 wrote:Pick up this set. It's cheap with great transfers and you will learn something. 3 movies and comes with a soundtrack CD.
Do it!

Does it come with limited paper?
No, but it is obsolete media. That should count for something right?
Dario33
Art Expert

Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 pm

blog wrote:what does ansin's sig look like?
Pretty sure it's just a scribble (similar to Olly's). Someone posted a pic of it a while back.
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Tue May 01, 2012 8:04 pm

IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 02, 2012 7:18 pm

2nd (or 3rd, 4th, etc...) that El Topo is a must view (just sit w/ your finger on the pause button and a copy of Crowley's liber 777 if you're worried about being lost... or maybe that will just make it much worse :lol: ). The print is stunning (still looking for the variant, myself), but I'd def. check out Jordowsky's film first. Otherwise, you could end up w/ something on the wall you regret later.
ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."
dylansdad
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 7:22 pm

One day, I'm going to get Ansin to sign all of my Ansins.
rubberneck
Art God

Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 pm

IbisMummy wrote:2nd (or 3rd, 4th, etc...) that El Topo is a must view (just sit w/ your finger on the pause button and a copy of Crowley's liber 777 if you're worried about being lost... or maybe that will just make it much worse :lol: ). The print is stunning (still looking for the variant, myself), but I'd def. check out Jordowsky's film first. Otherwise, you could end up w/ something on the wall you regret later.
Variant metallics makes it seem less 'flat' than the regular...

I'll get some pics up at some point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 02, 2012 7:25 pm

rubberneck wrote:
IbisMummy wrote:2nd (or 3rd, 4th, etc...) that El Topo is a must view (just sit w/ your finger on the pause button and a copy of Crowley's liber 777 if you're worried about being lost... or maybe that will just make it much worse :lol: ). The print is stunning (still looking for the variant, myself), but I'd def. check out Jordowsky's film first. Otherwise, you could end up w/ something on the wall you regret later.
Variant metallics makes it seem less 'flat' than the regular...

I'll get some pics up at some point.
Yes, please!
ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
rubberneck
Art God

Wed May 02, 2012 7:26 pm

dylansdad wrote:One day, I'm going to get Ansin to sign all of my Ansins.
I went and brought Bride variant, regular Metropolis and Wretched Hive variant to MMM2 on the off chance he was the artist on that movie....

Sadly, no luck but Phil Tippett did sign my Wretched Hive so it worked out somewhat :pint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Badbutch
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 7:30 pm

I'm sure he's swamped with other fudge but I'd love to see Ansin do Holy Mountain and/or Santa Sange. I finally watched Holy Mountain over the weekend and my mind is still blown.
"'Cause I'm a karate man! And a karate man bruises on the inside!" ~ Billy Ray Valentine
keefdotorg
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Badbutch wrote:I'm sure he's swamped with other fudge but I'd love to see Ansin do Holy Mountain and/or Santa Sange. I finally watched Holy Mountain over the weekend and my mind is still blown.
God, I love that movie. It's my favorite Jodorowsky.
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 02, 2012 7:35 pm

keefdotorg wrote:
Badbutch wrote:I'm sure he's swamped with other fudge but I'd love to see Ansin do Holy Mountain and/or Santa Sange. I finally watched Holy Mountain over the weekend and my mind is still blown.
Easily tops my list. It's the only one that gets regular viewings.
keefdotorg
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 pm

IbisMummy wrote:
keefdotorg wrote:
Easily tops my list. It's the only one that gets regular viewings.
Definitely! At least once a year.

It crushes me that I've never been able to find a copy of the Bertmer print for it.