Martin Ansin thread

General art-related discussion.
Xander
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2012 3:05 pm

His stuff is digital, but fantastic; it would be a commission for a digital piece. He e-mailed me this morning; long story short, unless you're a big-name client (FX, The New Yorker, Wired, etc.) with extremely deep pockets, he's too busy.
willg
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Xander wrote:His stuff is digital, but fantastic.
Wholeheartedly agree.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Xander wrote:His stuff is digital, but fantastic; it would be a commission for a digital piece. He e-mailed me this morning; long story short, unless you're a big-name client (FX, The New Yorker, Wired, etc.) with extremely deep pockets, he's too busy.
He's too top level...!! Dude used to do commissions way back in the day from what I've seen in another thread.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 pm

kryptonite wrote:
hongkongcavaliers wrote:
SheldonCooper wrote: ...but I took a look at Stout's work and I find most of them horrible, especially the outlines on the faces, with those horrendous colors, the SW ones are terrible I think. In fact, I couldn't believe it when I saw he did the Wrath Of Khan print because it looks ten thousand times better than the rest of his prints.
Wow. I've passed on WoK because it looks way too clean, almost un-Stoutish with the lack of secondary line-work. Maybe it's your monitor. I think you might change your mind if you were to see one of the great Stouts, like The Thing, in person. If you aren't blown away by the utter perfection of each jagged, nervous line, you might check yourself for a pulse.

I was just thinking the other day of what will be considered Stout's Golden Age-- I think it starts with 2007's Big Trouble in Little China, peaks with 2008's The Thing and his last great piece that is very Stoutish being 2011's Kill Bill Variant.

AOP13 seemed to me to be the end of the Era. WoK doesn't really do anything for me. The Avengers I can't wait to see, but I think that a 9 color screenprint detracts from the Stout qualities that I like so much. When Stout has 4 colors, he has to work harder which means more line work and less print shadowing.

Stout Star Wars terrible? WoK 10k times better? Man, I cannot even fathom how we can both admire Ansin, but be so in disagreement about Stout.

To me, this line work is genius.

Sorry to post a Stout picture in the Ansin thread.
Rebafiend just hooked me up with the SW set last week. The JPGs are pretty tight. Looks much better in person...so good. WOK is also great. Didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.
Could you post some hi res pictures of WoK? I could see myself coming around to liking it, too. It just seems like a Light American Beer when I've been drinking an Irish Stout my whole life.
ImageImageImage
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon May 07, 2012 11:28 pm

hongkongcavaliers wrote: Could you post some hi res pictures of WoK? I could see myself coming around to liking it, too. It just seems like a Light American Beer when I've been drinking an Irish Stout my whole life.
On it.
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2012 11:38 pm

iambillyg wrote:
hongkongcavaliers wrote: Could you post some hi res pictures of WoK? I could see myself coming around to liking it, too. It just seems like a Light American Beer when I've been drinking an Irish Stout my whole life.
On it.
Billy, your Bokeh usually makes me want to buy a print.
ImageImageImage
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon May 07, 2012 11:44 pm

hongkongcavaliers wrote:
iambillyg wrote:
On it.
Billy, your Bokeh usually makes me want to buy a print.
Ha. Maybe I should take pictures of the prints in my FS thread then. :P

Just snapped some images. Since this is the Ansin thread, I'll PM them to you. Unless people want them posted here.
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2012 11:46 pm

I was worried about hi-jacking the Ansin thread, too.

Put them in your FS thread (wait, are you selling a WoK?)
ImageImageImage
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 pm

hongkongcavaliers wrote:I was worried about hi-jacking the Ansin thread, too.

Put them in your FS thread (wait, are you selling a WoK?)
I hadn't planned on it. But I have one..

I'll PM them to you. Not much bokeh on these.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue May 08, 2012 12:05 am

Since we're talking about Ansin in here, and some extremely detailed pictures have been posted of El Topo, AND since I just took these for another member .... Enjoy!

hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Tue May 08, 2012 12:06 am

hongkongcavaliers wrote: I've passed on WoK because it looks way too clean, almost un-Stoutish with the lack of secondary line-work.
After seeing iambillyg's hi-res pics of WoK, I will admit I was wrong. I will blame my monitor.
ImageImageImage
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Tue May 08, 2012 12:08 am

iambillyg wrote:Since we're talking about Ansin in here, and some extremely detailed pictures have been posted of El Topo, AND since I just took these for another member .... Enjoy!

Stunning.

Mine is en route, via UPS as we speak. Wednesday I get to see that bad boy for myself.
ImageImageImage
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue May 08, 2012 12:11 am

Fingers crossed for yours to arrive safe and secure with no chub rub.
TopHatZombies
Art Expert

Tue May 08, 2012 12:25 am

Man Billy those pics are just drymounting fantastic!!! :drool:
Image ImageImage
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Tue May 08, 2012 12:55 am

iambillyg wrote: Image
I keep looking at this picture.

It is so classy. Like a crisp tuxedo or a menu at a really nice restaurant.
ImageImageImage