Show us your Flat File/Work/Flattening area

General art-related discussion.
jojobadass
Art God

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:51 pm

is that your dining room table?
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
dmb8506
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:55 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:that's a beaut!
Thanks! She certainly is!
jojobadass wrote:is that your dining room table?
:lol: It's where the Dining Room table will be (we're renovating, so I put it away from all the tools, projects, etc)... and it looks nicer than a lot of DR tables I've seen at peoples houses :wink:
isunktheship
Art Expert

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:11 pm

I need to get one of these.. the real question is.. buy now, or wait so the ladyfriend can match it to furniture :roll:

I have a feeling the boss will be upset with the first option
Creation88 wrote:no top tier artists: no stout, no moss, no taylor, no horkey, no ansin
dmb8506
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:14 pm

isunktheship wrote:I need to get one of these.. the real question is.. buy now, or wait so the ladyfriend can match it to furniture :roll:

I have a feeling the boss will be upset with the first option
Better idea... match the furniture to the flat file! Or get the flat file and then stain it to "match" your furniture (it will be hard to match it exactly)
FroDawg
Art Expert

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:49 pm

$50? Dude, that's stealin'. Where did you find it. Absolutely a beautiful piece of furniture, not to mention great resource for our "sport"...congrats.
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
maden
Art Expert

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:51 pm

dmb8506 wrote:Better idea... match the furniture to the flat file! Or get the flat file and then stain it to "match" your furniture (it will be hard to match it exactly)
As long as you are willing to do some mixing and testing, it should be easy to match. It just takes extra time.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

dmb8506
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:56 pm

FroDawg wrote:$50? Dude, that's stealin'. Where did you find it. Absolutely a beautiful piece of furniture, not to mention great resource for our "sport"...congrats.
Yep, $50. I would've paid $400+ for this one! Most of the nice wood ones I've seen are between $350 and $750. I snagged it off Craigslist, and was 1st among over 30 responders per the seller. God bless list-alert.com for notifying me immediately!! Also, make sure those of you hunting for flat files look under other names. This one was listed as a "map/blueprint cabinet". If it was listed as a "flat file", I'm sure someone else would've beaten me to the punch!
summoner
Art Freak

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:11 pm

dmb8506 wrote:
FroDawg wrote:$50? Dude, that's stealin'. Where did you find it. Absolutely a beautiful piece of furniture, not to mention great resource for our "sport"...congrats.
Yep, $50. I would've paid $400+ for this one! Most of the nice wood ones I've seen are between $350 and $750. I snagged it off Craigslist, and was 1st among over 30 responders per the seller. God bless list-alert.com for notifying me immediately!! Also, make sure those of you hunting for flat files look under other names. This one was listed as a "map/blueprint cabinet". If it was listed as a "flat file", I'm sure someone else would've beaten me to the punch!
I found mine under blueprint as well, in fact that is the majority of what I see these listed as.
Image Image Image
jimbobiii
Art Expert

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:53 am

I wish I had taken before pictures.

Found a nice metal flat files that was beat up on craigslist in Pasadena for 50 bucks. Sanded it, cleaned it, and repainted and sealed it. Still need to seal the top holes, but getting the parts for that tomorrow.

While I could probably fit this in a closet, it also serves as an amazing space for board games. So it became a coffee table. The stuff that is there is mostly flattened, but still keeping weight to just help it out long term and keep things from bumping around too much.

Bottom of each drawer is lined with foamcore, and then glassine between each print.

omgkitty
Art Expert

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:01 am

jimbobiii wrote:Image
So sexy! I love the orange.
clem99
EB Team

Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:03 am

so my flat file drawers aren't totally flat, the pressed metal floor has has 4 higher points approx 1/4" if that, now i need something solid state to create a flat solid floor for each drawer, whats best to use, acid free etc, THX
art is the only justification for pain :)
FroDawg
Art Expert

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:11 am

summoner wrote:
dmb8506 wrote:
I found mine under blueprint as well, in fact that is the majority of what I see these listed as.
Great info guys. I've set up list-alert with all of these terms. Thanks a bunch.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:15 am

clem99 wrote:so my flat file drawers aren't totally flat, the pressed metal floor has has 4 higher points approx 1/4" if that, now i need something solid state to create a flat solid floor for each drawer, whats best to use, acid free etc, THX
I suggest acid-free backing board 24" x 36" is ~$8 in the framing dept at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. They keep it in the framing room behind the counter so you have to sk for it.
mrkyuss
Art God

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:03 am

omgkitty wrote:
jimbobiii wrote:Image
So sexy! I love the orange.
Me too.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:29 am

So, I'm about to paint my flat file. Is it necessary to use primer, or can I just spray it directly on the metal? I got some really nice flat grays from Montana, and I'm hoping I can start this project within the next week or so.