Show us your Flat File/Work/Flattening area

General art-related discussion.
sschmotz
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 06, 2012 3:02 pm

It's been almost 2 months since I picked this up off craigslist. It's around 18 years old and had a number of blemishes, dings, scratches, and marks on it and overall just kinda dull looking. I wanted to bring it back to life so I completely removed the old finish and sanded it down to the bare wood. I did a double layer of natural finish stain which really brought out the wood grain and the red in the upper trim piece. After that I used a satin finish polyurethane so it wasn't to shiny but would be able to stand up kids (if they get near it) and did two coats of that. While all the hardware was removed I buffed it up real good to get it shining again. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, pretty much looks brand new. It was completely worth the time and effort and I won't be outgrowing this one.
dsanacore
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Whenever I eventually get moved into NYC one of the first things I'll do is buy a flat file. I'm so excited about it!
Image Image
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun May 06, 2012 3:10 pm

Looks great!
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun May 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Update to mine.

Here it was before, sad with no top:
photo-2-1.JPG
Luckily, rockbridge (Sam), dropped off a custom-built top for me today. :notworthy: I stopped by Home Depot and got some primer/paint. MDF is thirsty as drymount, so there will be quite a bit of sanding / painting, but it's fun. I finally have a top!
photo-3.JPG
Please excuse the messy garage and streaking. I learned that spray paint is going to be quite difficult. Next few coats will be done with a brush.

Thank you again Sam. This is extremely appreciated! :clap:
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun May 06, 2012 4:28 pm

rmoore wrote:You got a top! :clap:

I feel much better now!
LOL. You can rest easy now, my friend. I HAS TOP!
rubberneck
Art God

Sun May 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Moving in a few weeks. More wall space! :clap:

Today physically sifting thru it however, is the full realization of how much I have actually acquired in person :hanging:

Looks so neat and tidy on the collection page... 8)

First purchase on moving in, is a flatfile...you guys have acquired some really great pieces :pint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 4:30 pm

If you're gonna use a brush I would suggest a thin(maybe1/4) high quality nap(roller) to put a nice even coat down and then back brush it immediately.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Sun May 06, 2012 4:31 pm

rubberneck wrote:Moving in a few weeks. More wall space! :clap:

Today physically sifting thru it however, is the full realization of how much I have actually acquired in person :hanging:

First purchase on moving in, is a flatfile...you guys have acquired some really great pieces :pint:
You seriously don't have a flat file yet? You must be the guy on eBay who has had his prints stored in tubes since purchase.
Same fudge, different drop.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun May 06, 2012 4:32 pm

dasponyboy wrote:If you're gonna use a brush I would suggest a thin(maybe1/4) high quality nap(roller) to put a nice even coat down and then back brush it immediately.
Hmm. Do you think it would be better to just stick with the cans then? I'm just wanting to make sure there aren't places that are heavier than others :(
rubberneck
Art God

Sun May 06, 2012 4:37 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:Moving in a few weeks. More wall space! :clap:

You seriously don't have a flat file yet? You must be the guy on eBay who has had his prints stored in tubes since purchase.
One room is dedicated to them. Its been off limits to the missus and little one for over a year. They are all flattened and on foam core but its not a neat organized filing system. New house again is gonna have one room for my art, I just gotta get em into a flat file. Nothing stays in tubes...give me some credit ffs!

Now please go and check out my auctions! 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 4:45 pm

iambillyg wrote:
dasponyboy wrote:If you're gonna use a brush I would suggest a thin(maybe1/4) high quality nap(roller) to put a nice even coat down and then back brush it immediately.
Hmm. Do you think it would be better to just stick with the cans then? I'm just wanting to make sure there aren't places that are heavier than others :(

Using the thinner nap would prob help you lay down a nice even thin coat, but you def will see brush marks up close. If you do this method def make sure to brush from one end to the other with each pass. U have to make sure to move at a decent pace bc if the paint starts drying even a little bit the brush marks will be really noticable. Sounds intimidating but it's not, you could just do a practice run a an old board....or if it sounds like too much go with the can.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun May 06, 2012 5:05 pm

dasponyboy wrote:
iambillyg wrote:

Using the thinner nap would prob help you lay down a nice even thin coat, but you def will see brush marks up close. If you do this method def make sure to brush from one end to the other with each pass. U have to make sure to move at a decent pace bc if the paint starts drying even a little bit the brush marks will be really noticable. Sounds intimidating but it's not, you could just do a practice run a an old board....or if it sounds like too much go with the can.
Ah. Alright. Thanks.

I may just have to stick with cans then. Will definitely post results when I finish up. Should be next weekend.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 5:16 pm

iambillyg wrote:
dasponyboy wrote: Ah. Alright. Thanks.

I may just have to stick with cans then. Will definitely post results when I finish up. Should be next weekend.
The brush route would be way more expensive too.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 5:21 pm

sschmotz wrote:I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, pretty much looks brand new. It was completely worth the time and effort and I won't be outgrowing this one.
That hardwork paid off, it looks really great!