Show us your Flat File/Work/Flattening area

General art-related discussion.
kannibaliztik
Art Expert

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:42 pm

technique wrote:I see some on CL here in Cincinnati every now and then but always seem to miss out so hopefully I can find a decent one soon.

im in cincy too, i just hit up this girl about hers, im picking up one of the 5 drawers tomorrow, she has more available so email her. Just leave one if you make it there before me. lol

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/for/2937724457.html
"We can hold out through this endless dark, all a fire needs is a single spark"
ForbinsAccent
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:09 pm

jojobadass wrote:Alright, here's my processing area..........I have a seperate area where I receive stuff, but this is where all the action/inaction happens. Each pile is some step along the way from flattening, to be photographed, to be uploaded for webites/ebay, and finally to be filed away. Depending on how the poster arrives and what it is........it could take anywhere from a month to a year to make it to the end of the line.

Ohhhhhhhhh my.

That. Is. Awesome!.
I strive for this setup.!
Pure Gold!
ImageImage
mkuborn
Art Expert

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 pm

zefarrett wrote:
virtualmert wrote:Image :pint:
damn, 4 jars and 2 grinders!!?? :lol:
(i think thats what that looks like)
Dont forget the sweet Compaq Presario/Gateway 2000

But seriously, this thread makes my inadequacy more and more apparent
mazdog
Art Expert

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Mayline in Tempe AZ on Craigslist at the moment if any AZers happen to be looking.
zefarrett
Art Freak

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:33 pm

is $225 for this size flat file 54"wide x 41" deep x 18" high a good price?? This could be my chance to finally get a flat file!!
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
markenglert
Art Expert

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 pm

Just ordered some flat files... will post pics in here once I get them on Friday!
mazdog
Art Expert

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:42 pm

depends on the condition of course, but that is definitely a reasonable price.
if you get lucky you can find them cheaper but the $200-300 range is what i see ones in decent condition going for around here.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:47 pm

zefarrett wrote:is $225 for this size flat file 54"wide x 41" deep x 18" high a good price?? This could be my chance to finally get a flat file!!
That price seems pretty reasonable if they're in good shape. Just FYI - that is the "large" size. It will be gigantic in person. Hope you have lots of space.
T.H.C.
zefarrett
Art Freak

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:49 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:
zefarrett wrote:is $225 for this size flat file 54"wide x 41" deep x 18" high a good price?? This could be my chance to finally get a flat file!!
That price seems pretty reasonable if they're in good shape. Just FYI - that is the "large" size. It will be gigantic in person. Hope you have lots of space.
I believe its in good shape, I wouldn't mind a painting project though. And id put it down in the basement which is just storage anyway right now ever since the upstairs floor got redone to wood. And id have to drive about an hour and a half to get it. But to not have to worry about portfolio sheets is a dream come true haha
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
TattooMike
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:32 pm

HelloExactly wrote:I love that I can now post in threads like this :))))
Damn, whenever I do finally get a metal flat file I'm stealing your idea and painting it hotrod red. Love this.

I bought mine locally off Craigslist for $75 and refinished it. I keep my prints in polypro sleeves and just use the glassine sheets when flattening.

With acid free foam boards for flattening on top

With sheets of MDF on top of that

I keep it in my dining room because I'm running out of space in my apartment. I've been slacking on posting pics of my PJ20 posters framed. I'll put some up in the new Framed Stuff thread whenever it gets started.
ironjaiden wrote: ...because I'm a 14 year old boy trapped in a middle aged asshole suit.
behead
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 pm

emac wrote:
behead wrote:Scored this off Craigslist a few weeks ago, on the cheap.
Is that all encased in one shell, or is it three files stacked and I just can't see the seams? Regardless, congrats on the fantastic score! :)

Also, I never thought I'd see a room where the flat files color-coordinated with the curtains and (even more shockingly) the curtains color-coordinated with the Stout Lost Boys print. :shock:

Its three files stacked. They wouldn't break em up but it was only $200.

Good call on the color match up, I didn't even notice.
brondrew
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:13 am

Finished my flat file today. :)
ImageImage
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:52 am

Why the two hulk drawers?
macc5
EB Team

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:30 am

HelloExactly wrote:I love that I can now post in threads like this :))))

damn! looking good man!
brondrew
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:53 pm

iambillyg wrote:Why the two hulk drawers?
When i bought the flat file it was put together upside down and the top drawer didn't close properly, half the drawers are different on the inside and they all had different screws/bolts/ washers (every drawer was different!) the 2 green drawers were the most different and I'm guessing from a different flat file, different handles and index card holders from the others (the index plates were attached with a rivets so i couldn't put them back on) so i called it frankenstein and decided to keep those 2 drawers different.
ImageImage