When Is A Deal (Sale) Considered Done?

General art-related discussion.
weyistrilson
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:16 pm

I recently agreed to buy a print from another user. We had gone through the entire deal and reached a price on the print, plus shipping. This individual said they would send the print uninsured. I agreed to pay the insurance, as I do not trust ground/air carriers at all, and even provided a web link with USPS's insurance rates. Well, two or three days go by without a response to my insurance inquiry. Then this individual informs me today that they found someone else who would pay $20 more than what we originally agreed upon for the print and they couldn't refuse the deal.

Your thoughts???
thegig
Art Expert

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:23 pm

Shady and questionable, perhaps inconsiderate, but I wouldn't call it unethical.
hitmewithposters
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:33 am

Not to say the person is not trustworthy, but if you request insurance and offer to pay for it and a deal falls through, I'd consider myself lucky that I did not set myself up for a potential problem (ie: receiving a print that was already damaged and not disclosed as such, or even having it NOT show up at all) and then the seller can say, sorry, not my fault after it left my door.

So chalk it up as a good sign and wait for the right deal witht he right person.

Jeremy
macc5
EB Team

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:47 am

hitmewithposters wrote:Not to say the person is not trustworthy, but if you request insurance and offer to pay for it and a deal falls through, I'd consider myself lucky that I did not set myself up for a potential problem (ie: receiving a print that was already damaged and not disclosed as such, or even having it NOT show up at all) and then the seller can say, sorry, not my fault after it left my door.

So chalk it up as a good sign and wait for the right deal witht he right person.

Jeremy

Exactly my thoughts...

.chalk it up to experience....that isn't right when sellers try to get you to give more when someone else offered more when in reality there probably isnt anyone else, they are just trying to get more $$..

Id walk away from that one...
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:05 am

When I'm selling stuff and I'm "in process" with it, I'll tell folks that it is "on hold". It's a commitment I make to myself and will not let myself strike another deal - even for more or better trade - until that either finishes or falls thru. It's my own honor system but that's how I work. And I know that some other folks work that way too.
Ethics on this level are tricky of course - to each their own. It's something that you hope folks wouldn't do but it does happen. Sad when it's over $10-20 because it's really not that much. Really, I'd understand a lot more if it was $100 because that shows a significant difference in price but something small like that... I can see where some folks would call BS on that other offer.
As a seller, you do run a risk in doing that though. If that second offer (the higher one) falls thru, most folks that feel that they were screwed are not going to want to buy from you if you do that to them, I would think. So I'd be certain that your other sale is gonna work out. Just my opinion.
Tra la la la la...
marshhouse
Art Expert

Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:39 am

Until I have money or print from a person I never consider it complete.

As far as this type of scenerio I tend to go with Yamar's self imposed honor system. If I'm in active negotiations with a person about buying/selling they are the only one I consider. I try to give people at least a week to respond during these periods. If I don't hear something after a week the item is considered available again.

This situation sorta seems fishy. At the very least it was a crass move. They would definitely make it to my "no thanks" list.
Bacon is love.
morst
EB Team

Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:53 am

The other day, just as I completed a deal for a poster, I HAPPENED to get an inquiry for JUST THAT POSTER. I had to inform the guy that he JUST MISSED his opportunity, I negotiated a deal, but I had not yet received payment. I told the (second) guy that I could only trade it to him if the first deal fell through.

As it turns out, he found another copy by PM'ing the other EB member who had one for sale, so for us it all worked out.

I agree that it's a weak move to do that for $20, but it just goes to show you who you're dealing with!! If, in fact, the seller was just trying to drive your price up, then just walk away. :twisted: