Flipping...

General art-related discussion.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:13 pm

I have subs and DEFINTELY sell (or trade) the posters I don't want. So what, really?
Tra la la la la...
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:08 pm

turnJBup wrote:
jojobadass wrote:
turnJBup wrote:I feel if you have a gallery then for some reason it is more respectable... maybe it's the work involved and the rent. Framing is a cool trade.
We are all flippers here and there... I've had to sell a couple of posters. I try and be fair, and would always rather trade. But ol' pioneerstiens is right... no sense losing money. It's a fine line.
I always get extra tickets to concerts... they go to my friends!

so, what's the difference between a scalper at a show selling tickets and the guy who resells tickets on a website or from a storefront?

is the scalper w/ the legitimate website a ticket dealer? :lol:
Ticket scalpers are scum that everyone has to deal with.... it's not unethical, just lame. Concerts are fleeting experiences that can't be captured... it's just sad that a poor kid can't see his favorite band because some lazy piece of fudge bought 50 tickets in front of him. IMHO.
The kid can buy a poster a few years down the road if he really wants it...from you! ( At a fair price ) But the concert has past, the band has since broken up, Jerry died..... whatever. :)

scalpers provide a service, just like hookers. If you don't want to be up-close-and-personal, just don't pay for it. :lol:
TheRedOne
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:41 pm

Imatruck wrote:I have subscriptions and sometimes sell the posters I don't want. Sue me.
You'll be receiving a call from my lawyer.
palehighway

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:00 pm

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:06 pm

Exactly my point. I could never call a sub holder a flipper simply because they took the risk in advance of seeing what would be part of the sub. And normally, their prints come LONG after the onsale of the rest of the run. So even special "sub edition" variants of the said prints... well that was their risk and their choice to do so. My $.02 on the sub holder flipper thought...
Tra la la la la...
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:07 pm

palehighway wrote:
Yamar wrote:I have subs and DEFINTELY sell (or trade) the posters I don't want. So what, really?
i wouldn't call that flipping. A subscription is another mutually beneficial contract with an artist.

that's bs......the artist isn't giving you permission to swing his swappie because you have a sub. it's no different if I buy every slater poster at retail vs. the discounted slater sub package.
palehighway

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:11 pm

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:14 pm

i guess I just look at selling posters as selling posters.
palehighway

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:21 pm

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:25 pm

palehighway wrote:
jojobadass wrote:i guess I just look at selling posters as selling posters.
if no one resold posters most of our collections would be pretty weak, but creating false scarcity, hording multiples, and preying on the ignorant isn't a very nice thing to do. I'm not saying that i'm not a sinner, but i just don't like it when the the opportunity for less fortunate fans to purchase something really nice is squandered by some jackass that sits around hitting F5 all day just so he can sell it on ebay for some extra money to a kid with deeper pockets.

see, this is what I don't understand.......how does selling poster become a moral issue? I'm not sure how posters are supposed to benefit mankind or save the whales or some other fudge.
pioneer
Flipper

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:35 pm

jojobadass wrote:
palehighway wrote:
jojobadass wrote:i guess I just look at selling posters as selling posters.
if no one resold posters most of our collections would be pretty weak, but creating false scarcity, hording multiples, and preying on the ignorant isn't a very nice thing to do. I'm not saying that i'm not a sinner, but i just don't like it when the the opportunity for less fortunate fans to purchase something really nice is squandered by some jackass that sits around hitting F5 all day just so he can sell it on ebay for some extra money to a kid with deeper pockets.

see, this is what I don't understand.......how does selling poster become a moral issue? I'm not sure how posters are supposed to benefit mankind or save the whales or some other fudge.
Selling posters or "art" is no different than selling anything else--cars/bobbleheads/ect. For some reason there seems to be this "moral" issue on this site with selling art. I don't get it either. You bought it, sell it if you want. I can't believe that there are people who will try to say they don't think an individual should make money off of an artists work. Why are artists different than anyone else??
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:50 pm

I tend to think that many of us talking this today are on the same "side" of the discussion here - that we don't see a real issue with selling prints, that it is a fact of life in this "poster world". Lord knows that I sell stuff.
I mean, does it irritate me to get shut out of an onsale for a piece and then multiple copies (from multiple individuals, not galleries/retailers/etc.) show up on Ebay immediately? Yes, but because they are re-selling something not in hand. You can't know condition or if there will be delays in shipping or any number of other things. to buy and then re-sell before you have it - leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
There are definitely things that I buy, check out, and opt to sell. There are also things that I buy with the intent to sell, but I'll not sell it till I have it in hand. And I've had some of those "bought to sell" items reach my hands only to take a liking to them and decide to keep it for my own. It all depends. Hell, I got in four prints yesterday, 3 of which I was sure I would keep and one that I would sell or trade. Well, after seeing them in hand, I'll be keeping 1 of the 3 keepers and the one I thought I'd sell - just too badass in person. But the other 2 keepers? They'll find their way out in the near future, I'm sure - just didn't do it for me.
Tra la la la la...
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Rock on Yamar and JoJo... you guys are more than fair and easy to work with. That makes a huge difference.... you guys aren't trying to get every last penny possible. It's possible to do this hobby with integrity.
Like I said we all have to do it sometimes....
I will probably throw my first posters on Ebay in a week or so to give Bush some more money to get people killed.
I hate April 15th! :x
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:18 pm

turnJBup wrote:Rock on Yamar and JoJo... you guys are more than fair and easy to work with. That makes a huge difference.... you guys aren't trying to get every last penny possible. It's possible to do this hobby with integrity.
Like I said we all have to do it sometimes....
I will probably throw my first posters on Ebay in a week or so to give Bush some more money to get people killed.
I hate April 15th! :x
What do you really think? :lol:
palehighway

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:26 pm

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.