Flipping...

General art-related discussion.
pioneer
Flipper

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:03 am

The funny thing is...I'm not sure this discussion would exist without the whole Emek thing. I collect Emek and Arminski. I have every poster I bought from them. I prefer to trade as well. But I can't say I'm disappionted when something skyrockets in price. I just think to an extent that flippers serve a purpose, not necessarly an agreeable one, but a purpose nonetheless. And by the way..the Emek Decemberists thread isn't over 2,000,000,000 posts because everyone wants to add that poster to their collection. :D
pioneer
Flipper

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:09 am

palehighway wrote:
pioneersteins wrote: Is it any more reasonable to sell it for cost when they're going for $200+?? That's just silly.

The second example is wrong to some extent, I agree. But on the other hand, how is that different from a dealer/gallery who gets 5/10/50 copies?

If I was an artist/dealer/gallery I'd be more concerned about people dumping the posters for pennies on the dollar, than if they were selling for multiples of theie original value.
Galleries are different, they have a mutually beneficial contract with an artist

and it's not silly to give someone a good deal on something, it's called being a decent human being
So RGG's "beneficial contract" makes it O.K. to sell the Decemberists poster for almost 7 TIMES what Emek sells it for? What happened to being a decent human being??
palehighway

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Wouldn't it be cool if these posters weren't worth a rats ass?
I'd still go crazy collecting them... there are lots of bright sides to this hobby that's for sure. More positive than negative. I'm starting to hunt for cool inexpensive stuff now... less stressful.
pioneer
Flipper

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:15 am

palehighway wrote:pioneersteins, you have 26 pages of wanted posters and all but two are EMEKs? i know this is off topic, but i was astonished, i was not aware that was possible.
I have 8 pages of wanted, and I own many of the Emek posters I have listed. What does it matter what is in my ISO list? I'm not looking for anything else :?
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:16 am

I think that was a joke man....
pioneer
Flipper

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:17 am

turnJBup wrote:I think that was a joke man....
:oops:
palehighway

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:21 am

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:38 am

I can't believe with all that money they are making they still use those cheap ass shitty tubes.
I'd be willing to bet Emek is pissed... or they have a deal set up that sends a little extra money to Portland everytime RGG reels in a sucker.
ryan_1969

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:43 am

turnJBup wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if these posters weren't worth a rats ass?
I'd still go crazy collecting them... there are lots of bright sides to this hobby that's for sure. More positive than negative. I'm starting to hunt for cool inexpensive stuff now... less stressful.
i'm doing the same thing. i'ld rather get ten prints for the price of one. i wish i had a sugarmomma...........
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:35 am

It's interesting to reread this thread a year later.
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:56 am

turnJBup wrote:I feel if you have a gallery then for some reason it is more respectable... maybe it's the work involved and the rent. Framing is a cool trade.
We are all flippers here and there... I've had to sell a couple of posters. I try and be fair, and would always rather trade. But ol' pioneerstiens is right... no sense losing money. It's a fine line.
I always get extra tickets to concerts... they go to my friends!

so, what's the difference between a scalper at a show selling tickets and the guy who resells tickets on a website or from a storefront?

is the scalper w/ the legitimate website a ticket dealer? :lol:
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:26 am

and really when it comes down to it........there are good guys and bad guys in every profession in life. For every nice guy I've dealt w/ selling posters, I've run across a prick doing the same thing......."c'est la vie" right?
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:52 pm

jojobadass wrote:
turnJBup wrote:I feel if you have a gallery then for some reason it is more respectable... maybe it's the work involved and the rent. Framing is a cool trade.
We are all flippers here and there... I've had to sell a couple of posters. I try and be fair, and would always rather trade. But ol' pioneerstiens is right... no sense losing money. It's a fine line.
I always get extra tickets to concerts... they go to my friends!

so, what's the difference between a scalper at a show selling tickets and the guy who resells tickets on a website or from a storefront?

is the scalper w/ the legitimate website a ticket dealer? :lol:
Ticket scalpers are scum that everyone has to deal with.... it's not unethical, just lame. Concerts are fleeting experiences that can't be captured... it's just sad that a poor kid can't see his favorite band because some lazy piece of fudge bought 50 tickets in front of him. IMHO.
The kid can buy a poster a few years down the road if he really wants it...from you! ( At a fair price ) But the concert has past, the band has since broken up, Jerry died..... whatever. :)
Imatruck
Art Expert

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:06 pm

I have subscriptions and sometimes sell the posters I don't want. Sue me.