Question about rock art businesses/galleries...

General art-related discussion.
thegig
Art Expert

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:05 am

Hey folks. I'm thinking about opening a music memorabilia store in Virginia Beach or Norfolk, VA, and I'd like the main focus to be rock art. We will sell lots of other crap like t-shirts, stickers, patches, used CDs and vinyl etc. to keep afloat, but I'd really like it to function more like an art gallery.

I'm pretty much a neophyte at all this poster art stuff (more knowledgeable than the average Joe who would walk into the store, but God forbid an expert come in), but I absolutely love it, and it combines my old love (music) with something new. If I were to start this business, I'd definitely be learning as I go, but that would be the fun of it. If *anyone* has any ideas, information, advice or encouragement, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you thank you thank you!
vtadams22
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:50 pm

I used to live in Virginia Beach (hate to hear "VA BEACH"), went to the Norva a ton. Great bands go through there so the possiblity of not only having a strong store/gallery presence there- but also, with a venue like the Norva and the bands that go through there, there's potential for gallery shows and a lot of great artists doing work for the Norva shows with increased exposure. I say go for it. And give me a discount on your merch!
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Somehow I don't see you as a newbie
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:23 pm

I would say a beachy/hip part of town is definitely a good place to open a business like this.
guyforget
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:29 am

Rick @ Temple Ball could probably provide you w/ tons of random information. Hes pretty far away so its not like youd be in direct competition.

http://www.templeballgallery.com/home/
pjtaper wrote: I'm glad EMEK knows I'm not a flipper