Ebay question: shipping to alternate address

General art-related discussion.
dtak
Art Enthusiast

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:12 pm

I just sold something on ebay and the buyer requested that I ship it to an address other than the confirmed address provided by Paypal. I emailed him and said that in order to protect myself against fraud I neede to ship to the address provided. I might have let it slide, but he has zero feedback.

What is the worst case scenario if I were to ship to the alternate address he has provided?
What would any of you do givem the same scenario? The value of the merchandise is $150
Bread8
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:23 pm

Ok, explain why you're worried about it? I mean, if you get the cash and actually mail the item, aren't you in the clear?

My confirmed address in pay pal is no longer valid. Sometimes I ship to my place, sometimes I ship to where I work. It all depends on what it is and how much I trust whomever will sign for it won't toss it on the ground and damage anything (because either way, it won't go directly to me).
marshhouse
Art Expert

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:26 pm

dtak wrote:I just sold something on ebay and the buyer requested that I ship it to an address other than the confirmed address provided by Paypal. I emailed him and said that in order to protect myself against fraud I neede to ship to the address provided. I might have let it slide, but he has zero feedback.

What is the worst case scenario if I were to ship to the alternate address he has provided?
What would any of you do givem the same scenario? The value of the merchandise is $150
Interesting question.

More importantly, though, you want your sticker package?

PM me if you do.
NoSoapRadio
New User

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:30 pm

I sometimes have valuable stuff shipped to my work address instead of home. Last thing I want is some punk kid in my neighborhood helping themself to packages on my porch.

I say, save the e-mail, and make sure you send a mail to the auction winner as well- make sure it's not some jerkoff just e-mailing you : "hey, that thing I just bought? Please send it to...."
dtak
Art Enthusiast

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:36 pm

Bread8 wrote:Ok, explain why you're worried about it? I mean, if you get the cash and actually mail the item, aren't you in the clear?
Mostly becasue paypal is rather clear that if you don't send to the confirmed address provided in the transaction details you might not be covered by their seller protection policy and could be liable for chargebacks in the future. So even if I were to get the cash (which I have already) that doesn't mean they wouldn't be able to dip into my account at a later date. Also, when I first started selling on ebay, a person that had much more experience with it than myself told me to always ship to the confirmed address

As it turns out, I alredy worked it out with the seller, the confirmed address is his parents place and he said it was fine that it goes there, but I am still curious to hear what others have to say in this scenario
marshhouse
Art Expert

Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:41 am

Always cover your ass.

Still, I would think that as long as you take the steps of insuring, getting delivery confirmation, etc. and you keep all the documents you should come out a winner if any transaction should ever go to court.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:00 am

95% of the time, I don't have stuff shipped to my "confirmed address" -- work addy is much easier for me to deal with than home since that will always involve a trip to the PO for me.
But I also buy mostly on Ebay from actual dealers and those are always paid by CC - which I have work listed as a verified address with so they can check it out if they are worried. My CC companies require that I list my alternate mailing addresses with them or they won't allow a charge to ship to that address. Works fine for me...
Tra la la la la...
franklinstowr
Flipper

Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:18 am

As a rule, when someone pays me through paypal I will ONLY ship to the confirmed address that paypal has on file.
In paypal's seller protection policy, they clearly state that in order to be protected from fraud, you have to ship to the confirmed address or address provided in the transaction page.
Why risk shipping to an alternate address and possibly losing out on your $$ + merch? My theory better to be safe than sorry.
I always state in my auctions that I will only ship to users confirmed address provided by paypal(if they decide to pay that way)
kilgoresagan
Art Enthusiast

Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:03 am

if you email the buyer and have them send you a letter stating its okay to send it to another address i would just save the letter for proof.

the zero feedback is the only weird thing. who has no feedback AND a different paypal address?
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:30 am

you have to ship to the confirmed address or address provided in the transaction page.
Which is why I always have my work address be my default one - even unconfirmed, few people have problems since it's the one on all my paypal receipts.
Tra la la la la...
franklinstowr
Flipper

Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:34 am

kilgoresagan wrote:if you email the buyer and have them send you a letter stating its okay to send it to another address i would just save the letter for proof.

the zero feedback is the only weird thing. who has no feedback AND a different paypal address?
a letter from the buyer stating that it is ok to send to another address is not acceptable proof for paypal. they will not accept it. I'd save myself the potentioal hassle and just follow the guidelines set out by paypal.
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:44 am

In my opinion, and I have been ripped off by this numerous times [once for about 2,500] is that you should only ship to the address where the credit card statement goes until you have some history with them, or everything 'seems right'. T-shirts are the most frequent item ordered by phony orderers. Another big red flag is if they ask for the item to be shipped overnight-----this is a major give-away. Another thing to do is to check out their phone numbers----and do things like run the phone number they give thru a reverse phone directory [check out theultimates.com for this---scroll to the bottom under white pages; also, check their names here to see if their phone number and address check out].

Phil