SHOW US YOUR ORIGINAL PAINTINGS, etc...."NICE" ART

General art-related discussion.
lemtar999
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:46 pm

I mean its your house but in my opinion that shits dumb. Why dont you give the full gallery experience and put the price under it too so everyone knows how much you spent.
treweman
Art Expert

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:09 pm

mfaith wrote:
Codeblue wrote:If you're lucky, they might say "that's pretty cool".
Yeah, and if you do have someone come over that takes a genuine interest, they'll likely ask about it. And then that becomes a conversation starter, which is good too. So yeah, I'd definitely leave those labels off. And I wouldn't even do the guide thing. Have a conversation with them about it. Discuss it, share your enthusiasm with them. It's a lot more engaging and infectious when you actually have a discussion about it, rather than handing them a packet of reading material. It's a nice idea, but I'd much rather say those things in words to their face. :D
I agree about the conversation, but the guide/book idea is as much for me as it is for guests. I have tried to amass as much info as I can about each piece that I own, and it would help to have it all in one place and organized. And I might add that it is a rare guest that doesn't ask to see the art (as if they could miss it). Most people who come to my house know that I collect before walking through the door, and I would like to think that their interest is genuine. Kidding myself? Maybe. I have 10 OGs, 4 prints and a sculpture in my office at work, and I have random people show up asking to see particular pieces, particularly those by Shawn Huckins and Tinku. Earlier in the week I had someone stop by to take photos of the art, and then emailed me because they couldn't remember an artist's name. Perhaps my experience is rare, but it makes me feel good nonetheless.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:20 pm

treweman wrote:
mfaith wrote:
Codeblue wrote:If you're lucky, they might say "that's pretty cool".
Yeah, and if you do have someone come over that takes a genuine interest, they'll likely ask about it. And then that becomes a conversation starter, which is good too. So yeah, I'd definitely leave those labels off. And I wouldn't even do the guide thing. Have a conversation with them about it. Discuss it, share your enthusiasm with them. It's a lot more engaging and infectious when you actually have a discussion about it, rather than handing them a packet of reading material. It's a nice idea, but I'd much rather say those things in words to their face. :D
I agree about the conversation, but the guide/book idea is as much for me as it is for guests. I have tried to amass as much info as I can about each piece that I own, and it would help to have it all in one place and organized. And I might add that it is a rare guest that doesn't ask to see the art (as if they could miss it). Most people who come to my house know that I collect before walking through the door, and I would like to think that their interest is genuine. Kidding myself? Maybe. I have 10 OGs, 4 prints and a sculpture in my office at work, and I have random people show up asking to see particular pieces, particularly those by Shawn Huckins and Tinku. Earlier in the week I had someone stop by to take photos of the art, and then emailed me because they couldn't remember an artist's name. Perhaps my experience is rare, but it makes me feel good nonetheless.
mfaith wrote:Can I RSVP for the next showing?
:D
So it goes...
FinalKickstand
Art Expert

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:46 pm

Picked this up at Spoke Art NYC today!
Bezt
"Between the Dreams"
Acrylic on linen
71" x 35.5"
ISO an avatar
cmbubble
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:15 am

FinalKickstand wrote:Picked this up at Spoke Art NYC today!
Bezt
"Between the Dreams"
Acrylic on linen
71" x 35.5"
What a fantastic painting! Definitely, one of the best at the show. Congrats on an adding an exceptional piece to your collection.
lemtar999
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:05 am

FinalKickstand wrote:Picked this up at Spoke Art NYC today!
Bezt
"Between the Dreams"
Acrylic on linen
71" x 35.5"
Wow man nice I didnt see this in the preview. Great piece enjoy it.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:17 am

shredkeenan wrote:Any of you guys put museum/gallery-style labels on your walls with the art? It's something I've been thinking about doing.

What do y'all think - Is it pretentious? Fun? Interesting?

I think I'd go for something small and unobtrusive, like 1"x3" size.

Artist
Title, Year
Media and Substrate
Size
Only acceptable if you lie about everything.
That's what she said
gorkie
Art Freak

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:42 am

Nice Bezt! Congrats.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:37 am

Sweet sweet jeebus, that's good stuff! Incredible, cannot wait to see more pics
technique
Art Expert

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:49 pm

That Bezt is insane. Congrats!
treweman
Art Expert

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:04 pm

That is impressively large! Very sweet.
1000steps
Art Expert

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:30 am

Sweet Bezt painting!

In my experience, 99% of house guests do not want a tour of artwork, and the initially curious will grow bored of it far more quickly than you.

Truth is, most people don't 'get' art. They don't understand it in isolation, they don't understand it in a useful context. Most people have a narrow comfort zone and little desire to escape it. They don't wish to have their psychic borders broadened.

What. Evs.

That said, now and again I entertain the idea of printing a QR code to post next to each piece of artwork on my walls. Waving a smartphone over the QR code launches a web page containing information on the specific artwork. Of course, I would be doing a helluva lot of work to satisfy the curiosity of one person in twenty who would actually bother. YAWN
Welcome to the sleaze pit
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:30 pm

I lived in the dorms during my first year in college. My three roommates in our suite saved enough beer bottle caps to create a four foot square outline of the Playboy bunny logo by pressing the caps into the ceiling texture. While I hated it, most visitors to our suite enjoyed it.
Last edited by tweetick on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Iso
So it goes...
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:52 pm

DIY