SHOW US YOUR ORIGINAL PAINTINGS, etc...."NICE" ART

General art-related discussion.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:01 pm

Two things:

- The "Basics Matte Black" frames from AF are my favorite. And they're some of the cheapest.

- I should have known AyeJay was gonna drop in here and make us all sick.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:13 pm

mistersmith wrote: - The "Basics Matte Black" frames from AF are my favorite. And they're some of the cheapest.
i ordered the 8411 basic matte black, that the one?
8=====D~~~~
mistersmith
Art Freak

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:14 pm

BlakeAronson wrote:
mistersmith wrote: - The "Basics Matte Black" frames from AF are my favorite. And they're some of the cheapest.
i ordered the 8411 basic matte black, that the one?
Yup. It's the one my Millward OG ink was in, the over by my front door across from the bathroom. 8411, same frame. I love it. Way sturdier, too, than a lot of their more expensive frames.
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:19 pm

perfect, i really dug that frame. too bad i shoulda ordered one for the other millward i have at the same time to save on shipping, now that i already know i dig the frame.
8=====D~~~~
heather_honey
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:27 pm

sundaysup wrote:Your thread got me thinking. I have art everywhere around the house, but almost nothing that is "original".... except for this. A friend painted it for me from a picture I had. It's the house I grew up in outside Boston. It was a great place to spend a childhood. It's certainly not cool and wouldn't make much money in a yard sale, but it's priceless to me. :D
[Image
I love this! :) My best friend is an artist and she's painted me a few things I have around the house. I'm going to snap pics of them and post 'em up here!

btw- my favorite house in the whole world is a yellow one with a black roof! I love where you grew up, as well! :)
jcporter wrote:damn...with a name like "heather honey"...it's got to be good!
Give the gift of health and life to needy pets: http://saveuspets.org/
scrubjay
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:50 pm

I love seeing everyone's work! I'm more of a scientific illustrator. I don't draw directly from photos; I usually do a lot of sketches from life and take color notes in the field, then I might use photos as reference material to proof anatomy and things like that. This African cichlid was done during a course at the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco quite a long time ago. We had the course at night when nobody else was there--the fishes were amazingly cooperative and calm. This is color pencil. No photos were used for this one.

A kingfisher from southern Africa done in the field (color pencil).

This is something a little more on my creative side. I did this after spending several months in SE Alaska doing wildlife surveys (watercolor). The color of this particular file is off.
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:52 pm

ayejay...... :notworthy:
greasy
Art Expert

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:25 pm

mistersmith wrote:- I should have known AyeJay was gonna drop in here and make us all sick.
yea thats one way to put it. DAMN.
27 wrote: One time i was walking down the tracks when i was 4 yrs old and this train raped me in my butt.
http://www.GRAFantasy.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayscollection/
ayejay
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:17 am

....just to bum out mr smith!

paul frank
shepard stamped dollar bill
john stewart, an amazing bay area based artist
bangyman benny brlsq (though cohen will be painting over this and sending it back for ben to keep)
abuse
and my most prized piece of art... the dvd rack
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:12 am

Well, at least I contributed to part of that post, man, but too bad it was the last pic! Amazing. I wonder how many people are gonna know what they're looking at with that Abuse panel.
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:57 am

I
ill
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:03 am

How old is that Abuse... that's got to be like ancient history now. Was it you that had the tattoo?
ayejay
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:06 am

The abuse dated 98 on a superheavy piece of rusted metal with a primitive ray painted on the back. It's nice.b
ayejay
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:22 am

It's more like a fattoo.
kramer73
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:54 am

scrubjay wrote:I love seeing everyone's work! I'm more of a scientific illustrator. I don't draw directly from photos; I usually do a lot of sketches from life and take color notes in the field, then I might use photos as reference material to proof anatomy and things like that. This African cichlid was done during a course at the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco quite a long time ago. We had the course at night when nobody else was there--the fishes were amazingly cooperative and calm. This is color pencil. No photos were used for this one.

A kingfisher from southern Africa done in the field (color pencil).

This is something a little more on my creative side. I did this after spending several months in SE Alaska doing wildlife surveys (watercolor). The color of this particular file is off.
those are great, thanks for sharing!
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.