Official Mr. Brainwash Conspiracy Thread

General art-related discussion.

Postby samuraiwriter on Fri May 04, 2018 8:17 pm

samuraiwriter
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2712
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:00 am

Postby earlgreytoast on Fri May 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Yes, very similar, but those works are actual neon lights. MBW does screen prints.

Say what you will about Thierry, but he puts out screen prints. Extremely high-quality screen prints. Yes, the images are more miss than hit, recycled, popculture, often exploitive bullshit, but they are serigraphs. If you’re a fan of the medium and you’ve ever seen some of his works in person, it’s hard not to be impressed. Highest quality paper. Usually hand-deckled. Exquisitely produced.

Check the overspray on the red in this one. And the overall impression of it being a neon light. It will look fantastic in person, guaranteed. It’s a 6 color screen print, 1 black and 5 red. Cool.

Of course your fredos and your finnegans are gonna one-line snark it. That’s their medium, and they’re masters at it as well. Every release is the same rhetoric. Fake sell out this, more garbage that. But there are serious collectors the world over who seek out this fudge. Personally, I only buy it to flip, but I think MBW adds real value to the art world. Always a positive message, always expertly executed.

This post brought to you buy cinco de cuatro margaritas. :pint:
User avatar
earlgreytoast
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7829
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:14 pm
Codeblue wrote:This thread is boring. I'm going to go jerk off.


http://artsy.bigcartel.com/

Postby fredo on Fri May 04, 2018 10:33 pm

True for the old ones anyway.

The printing part, that is. Not the "adds value".
Last edited by fredo on Sat May 05, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 24132
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE
just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby gorkie on Fri May 04, 2018 10:58 pm

666ways2love wrote:'you LooK BecwtiJul'

with The Babadook in the background


Babadook meets Slender Man.
User avatar
gorkie
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 11195
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
Image
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram

Postby soupysound on Sat May 05, 2018 10:29 am

with a proper printing job from a top notch printer and this could have been alright, imo.

maybe spot varnish with some super vibrant thick inks. or some gloss... MBWs inks are usually fairly flat/bland.

something like eine's RIOT/SOHO ... or some inks by POP!NK, etc would have really worked well.
User avatar
soupysound
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 pm
Image

Postby ygolohcysp on Sat May 05, 2018 12:27 pm

samuraiwriter wrote:Nice Tracey Emin "homage."
http://www.traceyeminstudio.com/type/artworks/neon/



She owes her life's work to the movie "Cocktail". I'll let Tom Cruise know
User avatar
ygolohcysp
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Postby rubberneck on Sat May 05, 2018 10:16 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:Yes, very similar, but those works are actual neon lights. MBW does screen prints.

Say what you will about Thierry, but he puts out screen prints. Extremely high-quality screen prints. Yes, the images are more miss than hit, recycled, popculture, often exploitive bullshit, but they are serigraphs. If you’re a fan of the medium and you’ve ever seen some of his works in person, it’s hard not to be impressed. Highest quality paper. Usually hand-deckled. Exquisitely produced.

Check the overspray on the red in this one. And the overall impression of it being a neon light. It will look fantastic in person, guaranteed. It’s a 6 color screen print, 1 black and 5 red. Cool.

Of course your fredos and your finnegans are gonna one-line snark it. That’s their medium, and they’re masters at it as well. Every release is the same rhetoric. Fake sell out this, more garbage that. But there are serious collectors the world over who seek out this fudge. Personally, I only buy it to flip, but I think MBW adds real value to the art world. Always a positive message, always expertly executed.

This post brought to you buy cinco de cuatro margaritas. :pint:


I'll admit nabbing a Gold Rush and it's actually a great piece for those loving his generic Brainwash style. Large deckled print and decent printing. It's 'street' for the masses, with that Lichtenstein vibe.

I had a Chaplin litho for years and always wanted a screen print piece ala Juxtaposition. But even that felt a bit too busy. Is it unique and belaying a message, nah, but it brings a grin to my face.

#ikeacomfortprint
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 24649
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Codeblue on Sun May 06, 2018 12:07 am

Oof.
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 48957
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby rubberneck on Sun May 06, 2018 12:57 am

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 24649
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Codeblue on Sun May 06, 2018 1:11 am

All ready for the FS listing.
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 48957
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby rubberneck on Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 am

Codeblue wrote:All ready for the FS listing.


Image
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 24649
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby finneganm on Sun May 06, 2018 7:21 am

I have a Frankenstein, which I do enjoy thoroughly. The printing is absolutely top notch on everything I’ve ever had from Brainwash. In fact, to EGT’s point, the only other artist who I think consistently prints better is SHAG (whether you like his stuff or not, it is absolutely the highest quality). I also picked up his Heroes print, which is quite nice as well, but will probably just languish in my enormous flat file as the logistical headache and cost of hanging a four foot tall copy of the exact cover of Justice League 217 outweighs my desire to see it every day.

But he’s still 98% fudge. Well printed fudge, but fudge nonetheless.
User avatar
finneganm
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15024
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: NJ
...
...
That's what she said

Postby tranito on Sun May 06, 2018 9:35 am

Sure, the screen printing is nice, but the lack of hand finishing these days is inexcusable. At least take a minute or two to put your damn fingertips into a pot of black paint and drip some on the pieces. Or grab that red can you were selling for a hundred bucks and spray a shot or two. How much time and effort would that require? This is supposed to look like a big black paint splatter with red sprayed over it (and a neon message). If that's the kind of artist you are and that's the type of craft you have to offer, fine, but please live up to it. Ain't heart his trademark? He used to put some into it, now it looks like the less involvement the better. That's what bothers me the most about MBW nowadays. Give us some. The shitty releases.. I can always live with.
User avatar
tranito
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7962
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Canada
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.

Postby bryndavies on Sun May 06, 2018 10:13 am

Many times over I’ve heard the whole “MBW makes excellent screen prints” statement. It’s almost as if that’s the only nice thing people have to say. It reminds of my racist uncle, but he makes a mean risotto.
User avatar
bryndavies
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9752
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:44 pm
Location: The Last Frontier
ImageT.K.C.

Postby PLUSH on Sun May 06, 2018 10:19 am

bryndavies wrote:Many times over I’ve heard the whole “MBW makes excellent screen prints” statement. It’s almost as if that’s the only nice thing people have to say. It reminds of my racist uncle, but he makes a mean risotto.


What race does he not like?
User avatar
PLUSH
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7162
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: TEXAS

PreviousNext

Return to Art Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cerebus, sonicboom and 20 guests