cadeallaw
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:12 pm

"Mr. Brainwash or MBW is the moniker of an eccentric French filmmaker."

http://obeygiant.com/headlines/mr-brain ... exhibition
actorinthisplay
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:19 pm

well I bought one and if it turns out to be some conspiracy then I'll get a refund...no big deal.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:20 pm

Since this thread started 2 hours ago, even more folks have added it to their collections.

Code: Select all

+----------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| art                              | edition | collections |
| Elvis 08 Mr Brainwash            | 1st     |          11 | 
| Le Bistro 08 Mr. Brainwash       | 1st     |           5 | 
| Star Wars 08 Mr. Brainwash       | 1st     |          18 | (+2)
| Run DMC 08 Mr. Brainwash         | 1st     |           4 | 
| Obama Vs. McCain 08 Mr Brainwash | 1st     |           4 | (+1) 
| Obama Superman 08 Mr Brainwash   | 1st     |          40 | (+4) 
That proves that any news is good news. :lol:

Seriously, I doubt anything bad will come out of it except people getting refunded because it oversold, like myself probably.
fluffhead13
Art Expert

I dont understand why people think they are being ripped off. It isnt sold out and people expected it to be? Is that the reasoning? Just wondering if I am missing something here.
lazk
Art Expert

Someone posted this on Mitch's OMGposters - lolololololol
#
recycler, on November 10th, 2008 at 8:22 am Said:

this print is huge, it’s a screen print, it has Obama on it, and it comes with a frame. That’s more than enough
T.K.C.
lazk
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:22 pm

This is the story I read back when the exhibit was going on. This also came off OMG but was actually a smart comment.

“Obama Superman” Art Print by Mr. Brainwash
Posted in Art Prints on November 10th, 2008

Mr. Brainwash, one of the hot new names in the street art scene, just put this new art print up for sale. “Obama Superman” is a HUGE 32″ x 44″ screenprint, has an edition of 300, and is $50. It’s not uncommon for his prints to be MUCH more expensive than this, so it’s a decent grab for sure. Visit MrBrainwash.com.

EDIT: It seems strange that these aren’t sold out yet, as more than 300 had to have sold by now. Plus, the site has no live inventory. If you haven’t bought one yet, and want to avoid a potential refund, you may want to hold off till things get sorted out.

6 Responses to ““Obama Superman” Art Print by Mr. Brainwash”

recycler, on November 10th, 2008 at 8:22 am Said:

this print is huge, it’s a screen print, it has Obama on it, and it comes with a frame. That’s more than enough
Wait, on November 10th, 2008 at 11:33 am Said:

This may be a scam. Even if it isn’t, way more than 300 have been sold by now… I suggest you don’t try to buy this.
If I was trying to hype this for flippers, I wouldn’t advise against buying. BEWARE!
See expressobeans.com for more info.
Sacha, on November 10th, 2008 at 11:46 am Said:

I have been reading the Ex Beans with interest - Why because i have the Elvis with M16.

I love the print and maybe that’s all that matters BUT also I know I could end up the butt of his joke. Whispers saying that its a film paid by Banksy’s cash showing how stupid people are by buying street art that is worthless for cash (aka known as Sacha).

This print therefore could be an attack on Shep prices, ie oh look Obama lets buy buy buy.

This story has been around for ages now - its 100% clear MBW is a film maker but story is he has converted into a street art dude himself now - gone to the “other-side”

Ohhh. I agree about the above statement and thanks for putting it up - with only 300 available and the price, either buy and be prepared to be refunded but DON’T buy and put on ebay as its likely to end messy.

Funny thing is if it is all a joke, the man who will benefit will be Banksy as people love him and his continual attacks on the stupidity of the art scene. His prices will rise yet still from this.

Thoughts ?
T.K.C.
lazk
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:25 pm

What Cade link said-
Mr. Brainwash - “life is beautiful” Exhibition

Opens June 18th at 7pm
Former CBS Studios 6121 W Sunset Blvd @ El Centro
Opens Wednesday June 18th 7pm
6121 W Sunset Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90036

http://www.artshow2008.com

Mr. Brainwash is an enigma. I want to hug him one second and smack him the next. He is awesome, infuriating, almost impossible to define, but if an artist is defined by relentless, obsessive passion, then MBW is definitely an artist. Which kind of artist though? When I first met MBW he was a film maker. He started documenting me putting art up on the streets and in galleries back in ‘99. He has hundreds of hours of footage and often risked his neck climbing with a camera to very dangerous spots. MBW’s camera was ALWAYS on… Theoretically MBW is coming out with an OBEY documentary eventually. Somewhere along the way I introduced MBW to Banksy, which seemed to lead him to transition from just a voyeur to a participant, and he began making his own street art. MBW told me he used to paint and had actually sold his art to Michael Jackson years ago. Knowing this art background and his obsessive nature, it does not surprise me how quickly MBW rose to prominence with his street art, becoming one of the most “up” people in LA in a short amount of time. Not all of the work was magnificent, but it improved steadily, reflecting the maxim that practice yields results. Meanwhile, in addition to his street art, as flows logically, MBW was also making canvases and screen prints that could be shown in a gallery. In his usual style, MBW could not just do a small art show, he had to go completely over the top and put together one of the largest, most ambitious, non-museum shows I can think of (more detailed description below). Of course nothing can go smoothly with MBW and over the weekend he wrecked his car and fell off a billboard breaking his foot. A less insane person would have postponed their art show, but he instead postponed his foot surgery and is continuing work. With the ambition and commitment MBW has, I’m pretty sure he’ll pull the show off, but if he doesn’t, to paraphrase Malcolm Mclaren, a glorious failure is better than an underwhelming success. I will be playing records and a jazz band will perform, so it is going to be a good party.
-Shepard Fairey

Here is what Banksy has to say about MBW:

Mr. Brainwash or MBW is the moniker of an eccentric French filmmaker.

MBW has spent the last nine years attempting to make the ultimate documentary about graffiti art. But whilst filming many of the world’s most renowned street artists at work MBW began putting his camera aside and making art of his own. He has graduated from a few hand drawn stickers to giant billboard sized paste-ups, eventually becoming one of the most prolific street artists in California.

MBW does not fit the stereotype of your average street vandal. His artistic process chiefly consists of throwing random modern cultural icons into a blender and turning it up to eleven. The results are by turns profound, provocative and inspirational.

“Life is beautiful” is the first exhibition ever mounted by Mr Brainwash. It takes place in a former Hollywood studio complex and will feature over three hundred paintings, sculptures and prints alongside an installation made from 100,000 shoes and a life-size re-creation of Edward Hopper’s “Nighthawks”.

“Mr. Brainwash is a force of nature, he’s a phenomenon. And I don?t mean that in a good way.”
- Banksy

JUNE, 2008 HOLLYWOOD CA – MR. BRAINWASH (MBW) – “Life is Beautiful” solo art show.

MR. BRAINWASH (aka MBW) officially announces today his first major solo show to open June 18th in Hollywood.

Mostly known for his iconic imagery on the streets of New York and Los Angeles, Mr. Brainwash unveils his first major collection of new work in the dust jacket section of Hollywood at the old CBS studios. In a 15,000 sq foot TV studio of yesteryear, Mr. Brainwash will launch a large scale art happening as well as show over 100 pieces of artwork he’s introducing to the market. After tearing down and clearing out the entire studio, the new space will include a 6 foot-tall bar-coded Mona Lisa painting, stencils, oil paintings and photography, a life-size recreation of Edward Hopper’s “Nighthawks” and big installations such as a 8-foot tall spray can and a 12-foot tall paper bag among others.

The large scale show will include a live jazz band, bar, DJ’s (Sheppard Fairey), movie projector installations, seven spare rooms with their own separate themes, life-sized art cutouts, double-decker views, a bank vault filled with modern gold, a “stolen” piece of Marcel Duchamp’s artwork and a labyrinth-like showroom that snakes from pieces of artwork that are laced with sarcasm, fitted with humor and juxtaposed representations of pop culture’s icons.

Also prepared is a special surprise installation of 100,000 shoes and 20,000 books.
T.K.C.
upwithdisease
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:28 pm

here this link of info about this guy too.

http://www.hustlerofculture.com/me_we/2 ... is-be.html

?
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:28 pm

The comments from the artists on the Obey/giant site kind of remind me of the whole Mike Gordon/Joey Arkenstat incident.
upwithdisease
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:33 pm

cadeallaw wrote:The comments from the artists on the Obey/giant site kind of remind me of the whole Mike Gordon/Joey Arkenstat incident.

LOL I def get that vibe too now that you mention it.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Also... This Mr. Brainwash/hoax thing isn't a new theory:
http://www.thestylephile.com/blog/33000 ... egory_id=0
KNEEL13
EB Team

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:41 pm

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone reading this thread. Is it April 1st or something?
KNEEL13
EB Team

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:53 pm

I myself think it is real, otherwise "Mr. Brainwash" is committing a felony by taking our money. Whoever "Mr. Brainwash really is doesn't matter to me as long as I get the art. I feel like I'm in a theater, and someone has yelled FIRE, and there is no fire.

I'll take other's advice. If the art doesn't come. I'll take it up with PayPal.
bongobongo63
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Last i heard of mr brainwash, he was sitting on a beach in thailand drinking cocktails, the only time has was getting out of his hammock was to withdraw the proceeds of another hundred sales from his paypal account
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:01 pm

KNEEL13 wrote:I myself think it is real, otherwise "Mr. Brainwash" is committing a felony by taking our money. Whoever "Mr. Brainwash really is doesn't matter to me as long as I get the art. I feel like I'm in a theater, and someone has yelled FIRE, and there is no fire.

I'll take other's advice. If the art doesn't come. I'll take it up with PayPal.
I don't think that you will walk away from this 'scammed', but there is SOMETHING that is going on. There is no way that Shep Fairey would put his name on the line if this were some kind of 'scam'... My best guess is that this is a 'hoax' put on by either Shep Fairey, Banksy and/or some other big name who is using 'mr brainwash' as a pseudonym. I'm sure you will get something, but I don't know if it will actually be a creation by THE 'Mr. Brainwash'.