Official Mr. Brainwash Conspiracy Thread

General art-related discussion.
mcnail
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:45 pm

It's pretty simple, if you don't get a print or a response within a month, initiate a Paypal claim.
mcnail
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:51 pm

I mean, looking at eBay, it's pretty clear that prints of his DO exist. Looks like most of them came from his LA show though. Either way, I wouldn't get people too worried just yet. If you already have an image, it's alot easier to just make a bunch of screenprints than to take a few hundred people's money.
hotlaw
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:54 pm

i don't think its a scam.
in that the prints actually exist, and you will of course receive them.
i think its the artistic integrity of Mr. Brainwash thats being questioned here.
davemfan
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:54 pm

:shock:
ImageImageImage
upwithdisease
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 pm

mcnail wrote:It's pretty simple, if you don't get a print or a response within a month, initiate a Paypal claim.

i def. think this is partially a hoax, as for a scam to take us for our money, thats highly unlikely imo. supposedly banksy has commented out about this guy shepard fairey has an article on obey giant along with ridiculous comments about him. (some comments below), these arent the kind of things people say about each other unless its a hoax of sorts.i met the guy who is supposedly MBW along with Shepard in la, def. was a weird meeting i got the feeling right then and there it was some kind of joke. if this was an out and out scam, i dont think other artists would be associating with this then, and i dont see why he went through the trouble to have his showing. i dont know though, this is all guesses on my part. my money says this is an multi artist involved hoax on us all.

quotes:
“Mr. Brainwash is a force of nature, he’s a phenomenon. And I don’t mean that in a good way.” (Banksy)
“Mr. Brainwash is an enigma. I want to hug him one second and smack him the next. He is awesome, infuriating, almost impossible to define, but if an artist is defined by relentless, obsessive passion, then MBW is definitely an artist.” (Shepard Fairey)
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:03 pm

Does anybody have to background check tools? If so, look up Thierry Guetta and see if it a real person or a made up alias.

i don't necessarily think it is a bad thing. For one thing PayPal would be all over a fraud on this scale. I just think its fun to solve the mystery if you will.

I do think it is a hoax though.
ianstone
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:05 pm

well, when i ordered a print the phone # it spit back to me was 310-717-4581
i know that is an LA #, which doesn't necessarily mean that much
exadore
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:08 pm

This thread is ridiculous.
latetotheshow wrote:Flipping is like jerking off. Everyone does it, but nobody wants to get caught.
Steven Novella wrote:Where confusion reigns, opinion is king.
pearlybaker
Flipper

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:10 pm

upwithdisease wrote:
mcnail wrote:It's pretty simple, if you don't get a print or a response within a month, initiate a Paypal claim.

i def. think this is partially a hoax, as for a scam to take us for our money, thats highly unlikely imo. supposedly banksy has commented out about this guy shepard fairey has an article on obey giant along with ridiculous comments about him. (some comments below), these arent the kind of things people say about each other unless its a hoax of sorts.i met the guy who is supposedly MBW along with Shepard in la, def. was a weird meeting i got the feeling right then and there it was some kind of joke. if this was an out and out scam, i dont think other artists would be associating with this then, and i dont see why he went through the trouble to have his showing. i dont know though, this is all guesses on my part. my money says this is an multi artist involved hoax on us all.

quotes:
“Mr. Brainwash is a force of nature, he’s a phenomenon. And I don’t mean that in a good way.” (Banksy)
“Mr. Brainwash is an enigma. I want to hug him one second and smack him the next. He is awesome, infuriating, almost impossible to define, but if an artist is defined by relentless, obsessive passion, then MBW is definitely an artist.” (Shepard Fairey)

Hmmm first post
All right Hamilton!
upwithdisease
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:11 pm

pearlybaker wrote:
upwithdisease wrote:

quotes:

Hmmm first post

it is my first post, and? i bought some of his prints too, and like others i would like to get to the bottom of this, so i started an account and commented.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Good 1st post imo :pint:
ca_aaron
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:13 pm

I called the 310 number and it was a voicemail for a foreign sounding lady. In other words, I don't think she was the customer service hotline.
upwithdisease
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:16 pm

sunsetbrew wrote:Good 1st post imo :pint:

thank you.

:pint:
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:18 pm

ca_aaron wrote:I called the 310 number and it was a voicemail for a foreign sounding lady. In other words, I don't think she was the customer service hotline.
Foreign lady? Sounds exactly like a customer service hotline to me...