The rise of political posters

General art-related discussion.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:11 am

Political propaganda has been around forever. However, I am amazed that it has taken over the rock art scene. There in more obama posters than most band posters I bet. Last count there are 96 obama listings on EB and I am sure EB does not even come close to a representative listing of them.

Anyway, I like political art. Art is an emotional experience which make it particularly well suited for political propaganda.
hainshead
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:43 pm

Obama might be an exception to the norm. He has achieved rock star status, for better or worse, so not too surprising that the posters for his campaign are plentiful. The difference today is that much of the stuff is ending up on Ebay or in private collections rather than on the streets where it's intended message was to be seen. I suppose the counter argument is that the intended purpose these days is to raise money for the candidate via the sale of the poster and that whatever the poster does after the fact is secondary.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:10 pm

hainshead wrote:The difference today is that much of the stuff is ending up on Ebay or in private collections rather than on the streets where it's intended message was to be seen.
ironically, i have heard that said about gig posters a millions times.
sschmotz
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:14 pm

Cash in while you can, this fad will pass.

If you haven't made your Obama poster yet, you're about to miss the train.
sasquatch
Art Expert

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:23 pm

sunsetbrew wrote:
hainshead wrote:The difference today is that much of the stuff is ending up on Ebay or in private collections rather than on the streets where it's intended message was to be seen.
ironically, i have heard that said about gig posters a millions times.

Walking through many U.S. cities this year, I have to disagree. These Obama prints, from the Fairey Hope pasters to the Go Tell Mama prints to No Third Term to Obama Bomaye, are all over the place on walls and fences and telephoen poles.

Some are being sold to collectors, but that's what's funding the street campaign.