Artist you just don't "get"

General art-related discussion.
treweman
Art Expert

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Really like Welker. Don't own any of his OGs, but it is more of a matter of timing than desire. Also don't own any Banksy, Eine, Invader, or Horkey, with no regrets. Do own a Stik, and it is a corker. Own no Hirst, Brainwash, Peterson, Riley, Emin, or Warhol, and have no plans to track any of them down. But have a Haring that I love, and multiple OGs by Huckins, Mesnager, Despain, and Herakut because they speak to me. Don't have any Fairey's (and won't), but have an incredible piece by Tinku that is the standard against which all other stencil artists should be compared.

The point of this? We are all different, and appreciate different art. I don't give a rat's ass whether you "get" an artist or not. This thread is lame and lacks the possibility of enlightening me as a collector.
bodhih
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:42 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:With ya on Hork. Most overrated artist on the scene. Yes, undeniable talent, too bad he uses it to make helmeted birds and dead animals most of the time.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mind you, i have 4 Hork pieces on up my wall (LotR and JP). But that's because of a love for the subject matter and style combo. But yes, every time I see a new weird dead animal/helmet bird I think, :neutral: :?
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:58 pm

bodhih wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:With ya on Hork. Most overrated artist on the scene. Yes, undeniable talent, too bad he uses it to make helmeted birds and dead animals most of the time.

Mind you, i have 4 Hork pieces on up my wall (LotR and JP). But that's because of a love for the subject matter and style combo. But yes, every time I see a new weird dead animal/helmet bird I think, :neutral: :?

With ya! But, ya know, that being said, these are the things that inspire him as an artist and if it is a choice between him making that art and him not making art, I'd rather he kept making art! ALL art, simply because it is something that another human being took the time and effort to create, is worthy of existing in the world.

And treweman, I hear you. By it's very nature this is a divisive and negative thread. But I like to hear why people don't like something. I also think in many cases that people are sharing that they don't understand the prices some of these artists get, not that they don't get the art itself. It keeps going back to stik because of the simplicity combined with the price tag. It's the old "well I could have made that" some can't get past. But as I've said before here many times, anyone can make any piece of art, until they do. :)
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
bodhih
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:59 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
bodhih wrote:

With ya! But, ya know, that being said, these are the things that inspire him as an artist and if it is a choice between him making that art and him not making art, I'd rather he kept making art! ALL art, simply because it is something that another human being took the time and effort to create, is worthy of existing in the world.
Again. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :pint: 1000% agree.
fredo
Art God

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:12 pm

You two human-centipedin' later?
just a foil for me today, thanks
maden
Art Expert

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:29 pm

Jay Ryan.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

bodhih
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:43 pm

fredo wrote:You two human-centipedin' later?

Someone feelin' left out? :wink: Every centipede needs a mid-section.
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:46 am

earlgreytoast wrote: It's the old "well I could have made that" some can't get past. But as I've said before here many times, anyone can make any piece of art, until they do. :)
I don't know some guys make ART some guys make a design and someone else calls it art . There are some lazy things made so lazy you have to say it's the CONCEPT over technique. DeKooning said for every 5 mins painting there should be 5 hours of looking . I've seen alot of thing where I question if the creator looked more then the time it takes to drag on a cigarette. People so in a hurry that I question if they actually like it . DaVinci only finished 10 paintings . Almost each one he was trying to kick it up to the next level . I like that quote from some movie, If it's trying to say something it's Art if not it's just decoration .

But in the big picture if you like it you like it . I don't like DeKooning but I like some of the things he said
Last edited by ricv64 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
NickoRay
Art Enthusiast

Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:23 pm

100% Soft - Truck Torrance
jjttdw
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:03 pm

OK, I will say it since no one else has: Kobron

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 2&t=113032
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
roo
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:54 pm

There are just so many but a few for me would be Martan Watson, 95% of Tracy Emin,Sandra Chevrier and Damian Hurst but that's today it changes as I do. What I didn't get yesterday I might love next week, such is the world. :wink:
jester
Art Expert

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:47 am

Stik!!! This thread was made for Stik :P
ISO: Any Spusta original sketches, original inkings, or concept drawings. Please PM me to discuss...
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:00 am

wottagunn wrote:I don’t “get” STIK or Eine, but its weird because lately ive been fixated on buying some of their prints. I don’t know what it is about their work, but I love it. That’s what I don’t get.
Zombie thread revival of the week!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Rachael69
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:05 am

treweman wrote:Really like Welker. Don't own any of his OGs, but it is more of a matter of timing than desire. Also don't own any Banksy, Eine, Invader, or Horkey, with no regrets. Do own a Stik, and it is a corker. Own no Hirst, Brainwash, Peterson, Riley, Emin, or Warhol, and have no plans to track any of them down. But have a Haring that I love, and multiple OGs by Huckins, Mesnager, Despain, and Herakut because they speak to me. Don't have any Fairey's (and won't), but have an incredible piece by Tinku that is the standard against which all other stencil artists should be compared.

The point of this? We are all different, and appreciate different art. I don't give a rat's ass whether you "get" an artist or not. This thread is lame and lacks the possibility of enlightening me as a collector.
Your Stik's not bad at all, your Phlegm is a corker too!!!
fourputt
Art Enthusiast

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Luke Chueh. Can somebody please explain what the bears symbolize and why people buy these paintings that look no better than a high schooler's doodle? And while I understand that this is a poster forum, I cannot stand all the film and TV posters that are simply a collage of the characters' faces. Talk about uninspired and utterly boring. What's the point? I know this one will hurt some folks but I had to get it off my chest.