signature underneath the face is part of the print

signature to the right is Trey's signature

artist signed "jdk" and numbered in the border in the bottom right

might have one of these for sale/trade if someone wants one

pm me
thegig
Art Expert

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:16 pm

drymount Trey. drymount Phish. drymount Ticketmaster. drymount TicketsNow.
phishbeatles
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:19 am

thegig wrote:drymount Trey. drymount Phish. drymount Ticketmaster. drymount TicketsNow.
Don't worry Phish will be touring soon. When you look back in a few years, these hamptons shows won't mean anything, they will be a drop in the bucket, just like the last time they came back in 03.
"thanks for doing that for us slow people!!" Jojodumbass
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:24 am

thegig wrote:drymount Trey. drymount Phish. drymount Ticketmaster. drymount TicketsNow.
Just wait until summer tour when people will be over 'the big Phish stir' and Deer Creek tickets will be available for purchase at $15-20 a piece in the lot.

-OR-
do this:
http://www.caribbeanholidaze.com/08/show.php

It will make you forget all about Phish. I went last year and it was the most fun i've ever had. Furthermore, Biscuits have better improv and segues anyway.
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:42 am

How will listening to other mediocre jam bands make me forget about phish?
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:43 am

Btw, how are the trey shows sounding?
arodri70
Art Expert

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:48 am

mcgod wrote:Btw, how are the trey shows sounding?

sick
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:09 am

mcgod wrote:How will listening to other mediocre jam bands make me forget about phish?
Just enjoy those abrupt 'segues' and those frequent five minute versions of Water in the Sky, Waste, Chalkdust Torture, My Soul, Velvet Sea, Farmhouse, Sample in a Jar, Axilla, Bouncing..., Sparkle, et al. that fill (or phill if you prefer) over 60% of their setlists ;)
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:03 am

cadeallaw wrote:
mcgod wrote:How will listening to other mediocre jam bands make me forget about phish?
Just enjoy those abrupt 'segues' and those frequent five minute versions of Water in the Sky, Waste, Chalkdust Torture, My Soul, Velvet Sea, Farmhouse, Sample in a Jar, Axilla, Bouncing..., Sparkle, et al. that fill (or phill if you prefer) over 60% of their setlists ;)
Jeez, if you think "abrupt segues' and tripe like My Soul/Velvet was common, it sounds like your entire live phish knowledge/collection begins around '98-'99
(Not coincidentally, that's just when the drugs started to wear 'em down and after they stopped practicing and putting on consistently great concerts).
It's like judging the worth of the GDead based on a bunch of shitty early '90s shows.

When in phish mood, I listen to almost all late 80s-to-mid 90s sets, with the intimate "smaller room" sound and band in full 'melt-face' jam mode... but to each their own. 8)
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:42 am

mcgod wrote:
cadeallaw wrote:
Jeez, if you think "abrupt segues' and tripe like My Soul/Velvet was common, it sounds like your entire live phish knowledge/collection begins around '98-'99
(Not coincidentally, that's just when the drugs started to wear 'em down and after they stopped practicing and putting on consistently great concerts).
It's like judging the worth of the GDead based on a bunch of shitty early '90s shows.

When in phish mood, I listen to almost all late 80s-to-mid 90s sets, with the intimate "smaller room" sound and band in full 'melt-face' jam mode... but to each their own. 8)
Nah... I was huge into Phish from about 1994-2000. I got to see some great shows, e.g. Clifford Ball, Halloween 1996, etc. I just got pretty burned out on Phish sometime in during initial hiatus and I haven't been able to really recover. I still like them, I just feel that they are unfairly given this 'god-like' untouchable stature by many. I feel that a lot of Phish's success can be contributed to:
1. Good Management- good business/marketing decisions that were made on the bands behalf
2. Timing
3. Luck

Truth be told, I feel that there can NEVER be another jamband who will reach the fame that Phish has. Why? Not because Phish is so incredible, but because the Jamband scene has broken off into so many sub-genres that there can never be another concentrated interest like there was with Phish. When Jerry died, you didn't have that many choices, and poor marketing decisions really f'ed up other bands chances of capturing this fanbase (Blues Traveller, Spin Doctors, Rusted Root, etc.).

It is my theory that if Phish were to have come out initially in the late nineties or early 2000's, they would not have had NEAR the success that they have had. I know so many people who are Biscuits fans, Umphrey's fans, STS9 fans who love Phish because it is what they used to listen to, but that they would never even give a band who was Phish-like a chance if said band were to come out today... even if that band were in fact Phish.

Also, I think if you were to take a decent jamband who came out post-Phish and had them trade places timeline-wise with Phish and further met this criteria:
1. were talented;
2. the band made decent marketing decision (excludes Biscuits); and,
3. has some sort of mainstream appeal (vocals exclude Biscuits)
...said band could have been just as popular as Phish was.
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:08 pm

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and you make some points I agree with...
I stopped going to many shows around 94-95 specifically because it seemed things got a bit more regimented when they started the bigger venues. But it's a bit silly to say they're not deserving of the praise they get--- they got big because they were unique and great players, not because of some 'fluke.'
It was as organic an evolution as I've seen in music history, and it's pointless to say 'if they came today they'd be this or that..." because they influenced so many bands from that time forward. I feel most of the jam bands today owe an even larger debt to phish than to the dead, who were much more blues/bluegrass/roots oriented whereas phish went jazz/progressive/rock on everybody. Pretty groundbreaking at the time, no hyperbole needed... not to mention Trey ripped it hard back then.
Blues Traveler, SD, RR etc. weren't even playing in the same league--they had some 'hits' because they worked within much more conventional structures, but the fact you'd even mention them in the same breath as phish makes me better understand our disconnect. hell, early phish fans were just regular college kids, jocks, stoners and nerds before the dead fanbase came over in the mid-90s and 'wookied' the whole thing up. That's where you began your story with phish, so it's understandable why you'd feel they way you do about their popularity... you were coming in just as I was drifting away...

I've tried to remain open to the newer crop, but still waiting for something to 'rage' at me like that 87-94 version of phish live. The DB stuff for example-- I swear I'm listening to John Tesh half the time it's so 'new age-y' and full of repetitive electronic noodling; they're makin a living, so good luck to 'em, but I really feel some of the newer jam bands are far more '(drug)scene' oriented than "pre-wookie era" phish ever was...

Anyway, I look forward to the inevitable follow-up tour, I only hope they practice their asses off this time and trey stays lucid. ;)
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:23 pm

mcgod wrote:You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and you make some points I agree with...
I stopped going to many shows around 94-95 specifically because it seemed things got a bit more regimented when they started the bigger venues. But it's a bit silly to say they're not deserving of the praise they get--- they got big because they were unique and great players, not because of some 'fluke.'
I'm not saying that it was completely a 'fluke', but I do believe that one must factor in timing and luck when addressing their success. They also made some really smart management/business decisions that paid off, this also played a pivotal role in their popularity. Furthermore, they were great musicians and were a lot of fun to see live. But you can't discount the timing and luck. I love when kids talk about 'the magic of Phish', and when it comes down to it, they are solely explaining the experience of going to ampitheatres night after night with 10,000-15,000 'like minded' individuals, it generally has NOTHING to do with the music (unless I point out that they forgot to mention music, at which time that gets thrown in there as well).
mcgod wrote:It was as organic an evolution as I've seen in music history, and it's pointless to say 'if they came today they'd be this or that..." because they influenced so many bands from that time forward. I feel most of the jam bands today owe an even larger debt to phish than to the dead, who were much more blues/bluegrass/roots oriented whereas phish went jazz/progressive/rock on everybody. Pretty groundbreaking at the time, no hyperbole needed... not to mention Trey ripped it hard back then.
I'll agree that they influenced a lot of the bands out today and i'll also agree that most 'jambands' of today were more influenced by Phish more than the Dead. The only reason why I mention the 'if they came out today...' theory is because I think that it is an interesting idea to ponder. 'If they came out today'... about 3/4ths of their current fanbase wouldn't Phish a chance.
mcgod wrote: Blues Traveler, SD, RR etc. weren't even playing in the same league--they had some 'hits' because they worked within much more conventional structures, but the fact you'd even mention them in the same breath as phish makes me better understand our disconnect. hell, early phish fans were just regular college kids, jocks, stoners and nerds before the dead fanbase came over in the mid-90s and 'wookied' the whole thing up. That's where you began your story with phish, so it's understandable why you'd feel they way you do about their popularity... you were coming in just as I was drifting away...
Exactly, not much competition. All of those bands were basically in the same mixing bowl until about 1994 when they all chose different paths (Spin Doctors chose their path a little earlier). The funny thing is that Phish was also trying to go the 'mainstream' route like everybody else was at that time, it just didn't work for them (Hanging with MTV appearance, Down with Disease Video, etc). Blues Traveler had a very solid fanbase until the Four fiasco. As it turns out, alienating your initial fanbase isn't the brightest of ideas, especially considering the fickle attention span of mainstream culture. I think that the reason why Dave Matthews was able to stick around in the mainstream consciousness for so long is because women loved his songs and guys want to make women happy (and get laid)- See also Jack Johnston.

As I previously stated, I mentioned Phish in the same breath as the above mentioned bands to prove a point, there wasn't a whole lot of competition at that time (which, judging from your statement, you happen to agree with). WSP was the only band at that time that could compete in a similar fashion and they were just a southern rock band; thus, their fanbase stayed in the south (and then slowly trickled over to Colorado overtime).
Also, to say that Phish acquired their hippy fanbase in the "mid-90's" is also incorrect. Phish have had a Hippy fanbase since the late 80's... to say otherwise is wrong- you know this.
mcgod wrote: I've tried to remain open to the newer crop, but still waiting for something to 'rage' at me like that 87-94 version of phish live. The DB stuff for example-- I swear I'm listening to John Tesh half the time it's so 'new age-y' and full of repetitive electronic noodling; they're makin a living, so good luck to 'em, but I really feel some of the newer jam bands are far more '(drug)scene' oriented than "pre-wookie era" phish ever was...

Anyway, I look forward to the inevitable follow-up tour, I only hope they practice their asses off this time and trey stays lucid. ;)
I don't see how the Biscuits could ever be called "noodley", especially from a guy who is talking positively about Phish. Sure, Biscuits have their faults (worst continuous management of all time, miserable vocals), but being 'noodley' isn't one of them.

Biscuits SBDS (and some phish if you so choose):
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 24&t=26523
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:46 pm

the biscuits are known for being nooodly brah.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:23 pm

fluffhead13 wrote:the biscuits are known for being nooodly brah.
By who?? I've heard (and I can understand) "untzy" and i've heard people say 'repetitive', but I wouldn't associate "noodley" with that.