DCS "Change Must Come" <link>

General art-related discussion.
marshhouse
Art Expert

Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:19 am

Good luck Jeff and Judy.

I can't wit to see what's in the pipeline.
Bacon is love.
whalaw
Site Admin

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Good luck, Jeff and Judy.
my2hands
Art Expert

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:16 pm

i think this is awesome news

i prefer the DCS art prints over their gig prints
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:20 pm

I have a pair of mint art prints (Dragon and Tiger) that I would sell as a set for $160 + shipping. PM me if interested.
jeffwood
Art Enthusiast

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks all for your well wishes. For those who think I'm selling my collector base out, I'm sorry you feel that way.

The best is yet to come. In the coming months the people who collect my work and PBC members will be rewarded with many prints to choose from in a wide price range. I'm sure some will not like the new direction, others may like it much more than the commercial work I have done in the past.

I will still have clients like Cloud 9 (Jam Cruise, Langerado, Caribbean Holidaze), Jam in the Dam, UM, Derek Trucks Band- Govt Mule- Allman Bros, PGroove and a few more I will still be working with. So, there still will be some gig posters coming out of the studio. I'm not completely walking away. In fact I just sold a large amount of work to the Hard Rock chain and plan on working with them more in the future.

To make a long story short, the commercial work was cutting out the time I had to create the actual art I like to do. Realize that i have to be happy with the art I create or it just becomes another job. I don't like dreading walking into the studio in the morning. I also wanted to help others with the art and not be so wrapped up in the commercial world.

For the first time in years there are paintings in progress on several easels in the studio. There are art prints ready to go to press. There is photography ready to be made into prints. There is much going on, all in the name of creation just for the sake of doing art and not doing "commercial" art.

To be honest, I could be the greeter at Wally World and be happy as long as I could come home and be creative with no constraints. I will still be happy as long as I can create the art I love.

The music industry is tough. For visual artists it can be hard to make a living working strictly in this industry. I have been fortunate. I never forget that. But, being a commercial success does not equate to "happiness". John Lennon dropped out for that reason. Kurt Cobain was a huge commercial success but was miserable because the industry was steering his creativity and not him. The fans expected another "Nevermind" where as his heart was with his, for lack of a better description, "punk roots" where he could just be Kurt. In my own small way, I understand how they must have felt. I always said Kurt should have done like Lennon and just dropped it all, thanked the fans for their support and moved on to living his life doing what made Kurt happy, not what everyone expected him to do. He choose another way out that really let himself down more than the rest of us.

I hope that the new work will make people happy, but my first concern is making Jeff happy. I have a feeling if I'm happy with the work it will show in the pieces I create. They truly will be labors of love. Another reason is there is nothing more statifying that helping someone who needs a helping hand.

The main reason for the shift in work and big news is Judy and I are starting the first chapter of Conscious Alliance based in Athens, Ga. We are basically going to focus on my gallery/artprint work and coordinating CA activities in Athens while creating a template for others to start chapters around the world. I will be doing LOTS of CA posters. I will be doing lots of art prints associated with the CA prints. The CA prints will be studies for paintings and art prints. The art will help feed people. That is all that really matters.

We have lots of plans for what we will be doing with CA, very exciting things that CA has not done before. I hope the people who like and collect my work will like the new art and direction. Some won't, but does that really matter in the big picture? You can't please everyone. As long as the art helps put a smile on someone's face or put a meal in their stomach that is all I can ask for. It's all I really care about.

Many years ago before I went into commercial work I worked at a non-profit organization, painted peyote vision work and sold it to Native Art museums and galleries. I was broke but very happy. I felt my efforts in working for others helped those around me. It made people smile. I miss that feeling of satisfaction I had back in those days and now that I'm finally able to, I'm moving back to that place in my career.

Thanks again for the support.

~Jeff
franklinstowr
Flipper

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:44 pm

jeffwood wrote:Thanks all for your well wishes. For those who think I'm selling my collector base out, I'm sorry you feel that way.

Realize that i have to be happy with the art I create or it just becomes another job. Thanks again for the support.

~Jeff
Looking forward to what is coming down the pipeline in the future.
rssesq
Art Expert

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:45 pm

good for you Jeff.

I cant wait for the new stuff.
jojobadass
Art God

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm just glad you're not moving on to make toys.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Jeff,

I am really happy for you (and Judy) to ove on to things that will make you sincerely happy. I knew something wasnt right over the past year. We PM'd each other a couple times over the last 1-2 months and it was good to see you were out there enjoying life instead of being forced to hit deadlines. Pressure id the worst thing that could happen to an artist. The end product doesn't usually turn out right, well you know what I'm trying to say.

I am a proud owner of your 2 Phish posters and the NYC Allman Bros (which is my fav), but I am really excited to see what flows out of that skull of yours. It will be interesting for sure.

Best wishes on your new direction. It sounds like nothing but great to me. Best wishes!!
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:05 pm

jojobadass wrote:I'm just glad you're not moving on to make toys.
who are you kiddin. u have the largest toy collection this side of Tokyo.

ps - thanks for the jojo bobblehead. i really like it.
rssesq
Art Expert

Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:08 pm

jojobadass wrote:I'm just glad you're not moving on to make toys.
thats a good one. :D
hitmewithposters
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:38 pm

I say all the power in the world to you folks Jeff and Judy. I'm pretty sure you know that some of your old time supporters will be there for the ride, you'll probably lose a few, but I'm sure you'll gain others....and the beauty is you will head in your own direction..cannot ask for much more.

As one whos been happily involved with the subs since their inception, I'll be sad to not have the fat tubes arriving every now and then and I'll actually have to pay attention and pick and choose what to pick up now...which is one of the reasons why I liked the sub..no fuss, no muss, you just get it all.

But if they are no longer offered, then so be it, I guess i will pay closer attention, simple as that.

So I'll stick around for the ride....one way or another.

Jeremy
coleslaw
Art Expert

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:52 pm

I'm very excited to see what is to come Jeff and I'm glad that you will be happy and doing what *you* want. Thanks-D
“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey