where can i find uk gig posters?

General art-related discussion.
kevkevkev
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:39 am

for both new and old gigs? i'd love to be able to go to a gig and pick up a few emeks for you guys. when it does happen, do you always hear about it in advance?
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:44 am

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:16 am

I've only ever seen gig posters for sale at the actual gig a couple of times in the UK. Bought a Grzeca Black Keys poster at Leeds University a few months ago and that was the first time I've ever bought at the gig.
this aggression will not stand, man.
jenga
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:16 pm

Nick Rhodes does some cool stuff

http://switchopen.com/product
kevron62007
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:49 pm

Richard Goodall Gallery has probably one of the most comprehensive collection of gigposters avaialable.
Last edited by kevron62007 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:33 pm

kevron62007 wrote:Richard Goodall Gallery has probably one of the most comprehensive collection gigposters avaialable.
Definitely worth a visit for those based in the North of England, they have a great collection and nothing beats seeing the posters in the flesh. They also have some great gallery shows; they've hosted Rob Jones, Emek, Jay Ryan, Dalek among many others. I go whenever I'm in Manchester and I can never visit without buying something. The downside is that they are pretty pricey; most often I find it cheaper to buy posters from the US even after shipping is taken into account. You should defintiely visit the gallery if you get a chance though.
kevkevkev
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:57 pm

yeah i've found them quite good for choice. but very expensive. if i lived near them i'd buy from them. and if they ever have an emek or jones show again i am there. 150 for a pj harvey and 500 for the nick cave. phew. those rob jones aluminium prices are a joke though.
evillittlegoat
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:27 pm

jenga
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:30 pm

RGG can be real fascists. They got my Jay Ryan, Nick Rhodes, Todd slater etc. ebay listings removing claiming exclusivity to selling their work in the UK. They used some gay technicality on ebay claiming intellectual property rights. They provided a return email for my response as seeyoulater@ebay.com

They are expensive as and have this weird jumped up attitude that if you are in the UK.. then only they can sell posters. I think they even make artists sign contracts stating they will not sell wholesale to any other european webstore or gallery. In fact he even made Jay Ryan email me at one point to ask me to stop selling his posters on ebay (i had about 10 listings in total when i had an ebay shop and about 3 of these were for Jay's Posters). This attitude is real counter productive for creating a free market and easily accessible posters in the UK. My 2cents on RGG.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:38 pm

jenga wrote:RGG can be real fascists. They got my Jay Ryan, Nick Rhodes, Todd slater etc. ebay listings removing claiming exclusivity to selling their work in the UK. They used some gay technicality on ebay claiming intellectual property rights. They provided a return email for my response as seeyoulater@ebay.com

They are expensive as and have this weird jumped up attitude that if you are in the UK.. then only they can sell posters. I think they even make artists sign contracts stating they will not sell wholesale to any other european webstore or gallery. In fact he even made Jay Ryan email me at one point to ask me to stop selling his posters on ebay (i had about 10 listings in total when i had an ebay shop and about 3 of these were for Jay's Posters). This attitude is real counter productive for creating a free market and easily accessible posters in the UK. My 2cents on RGG.
fudge, I had no idea they could do that. That has totally made me think again about RGG. I've never sold a poster but I would like to have the option to do so on Ebay at some point in the future if I so desire. I'm quite shocked by that tbh
jenga
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:44 pm

It was because i had an ebay shop (although i only had about 10-15 posters and prints in there)... don't think you can't list a poster for sale on ebay.co.uk as you can. You can't open an ebay shop and sell posters in the UK and stock well known artists that RGG has for sale. I'm pretty sure if you opened a UK based webstore then he'd try and take you down.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:18 pm

jenga wrote:It was because i had an ebay shop (although i only had about 10-15 posters and prints in there)... don't think you can't list a poster for sale on ebay.co.uk as you can. You can't open an ebay shop and sell posters in the UK and stock well known artists that RGG has for sale. I'm pretty sure if you opened a UK based webstore then he'd try and take you down.
That's still shady. What's wrong with a little healthy competition?
kevkevkev
Art Expert

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:24 am

cause then nobody would pay their high prices. i think they pay the likes of jones and emek a huge whack to come over for a gallery show and to flog some exclusive posters. i was interested in the white stripes cameras that came with a 'free' jones print. but they wanted 125 quid for them. it sounds like rgg are the type of people that will take art back to the old days when all art was bought by expensive wine drinkers. cant blame the artist though. though i would have thought most artists would prefer their work to go to fans for $40 rather than sit in rgg at $200 for years.