OBAMA Prints

General art-related discussion.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:09 am

i WANT obama to win, but it doesn't seem likely... I just can't picture those undecided voters or all those red states to vote obama when they are in the solitude of the voting booth.

These obama prints are a cash-grab. It might not be in physical dollars up-front, since everyone says that 'proceeds' go to the campaign, proceeds go towards making new materials. The profit comes with the 'street cred' that you get by saying that you supported something. This street cred will be used after the fact as part of a future sales pitch that goes like this:

"new print dropping next saturday. better get these while its hot... as you know we did a very popular print for obama that how sells for thousands more than when we sold it. so buy this print for a few thousand and watch your thousands make millions."

It wouldn't even surprise me if most artists treated this as a 'commissioned' piece of work. Maybe the artist gets a small base for 'research and materials' to develop working sketches, testing, etc. The printing isn't done for free, so the printer makes money, etc.

Also, FYI - I noticed a lot of street vendors in new york city selling HOPE/PROGRESS/OBEY obama postcards, t-shirts, buttons, etc. I don't think any of that is going to the campaign.
usamamasan1
Art Expert

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:57 pm

ColonelCash wrote:If O'Godma loses in November, I'll def. be looking to pickup a cheap Fairey print. Otherwise, I'm saving my money for the tax hikes he will throw upon the middle class.
for starters...
let's all smile together.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:47 pm

usamamasan1 wrote:
ColonelCash wrote:If O'Godma loses in November, I'll def. be looking to pickup a cheap Fairey print. Otherwise, I'm saving my money for the tax hikes he will throw upon the middle class.
for starters...
you donkey's don't do any research before you start hee hawing do you?

If McCain wins he'll be able to buy more houses that he'll forget he has...Senile old bastard...
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:39 pm

out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.