Cohen x Pardee x Shadow

General art-related discussion.
ayejay
Art Expert

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 pm

huge night last night...

cohen's collaboration with alex pardee showed up!

and this...a sneak preview of dj shadow's foreword for the book!

That means, dear readers, we all have a role to play. Whether by actively supporting the art we enjoy and debating its worth, or by merely ignoring it altogether, we are mentors in the collaborative relationship that determines its success or failure; at least, in an immediate societal sense. We've all seen great movies die prematurely due to poor marketing, and heard about records gaining traction months after release due to strong word of mouth. So whether we're talking about a gallery opening or a dance recital, our participation (or lack thereof) is automatically registered, permanently altering the creative soil from which art springs.
One of the great parenting cliches is "it takes a village." And if you buy my thesis that collaboration is, at its core, a pure and selfless act based on mutual respect and the will to create, then the book you hold in your hands represents a fine specimen of that spirit. 5-year old, meet graff legend. 5-year old, meet satirical cartoonist extraordinaire. Or to put it another way...
Village, meet Cohen. Cohen, meet village.
Let's grow some art.
ayejay
Art Expert

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:35 pm

also, had posted these on gp, but while on subject...

jay ryan

jeff soto

steven harrington

anthony lister

grotesk

amanda visell
MJBuck
Art Expert

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:02 pm

love the j. ryan.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
iratasan
Flipper

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:13 pm

MJBuck wrote:love the j. ryan.
so agreed.

as for the pardee: smith, where the hell are you? you gotta see this.
evillittlegoat
Art Expert

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:19 pm

All great but the Ryan collab is genius. Giclee PLZ.

Shadow's foreword is excellent too.
Last edited by evillittlegoat on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ayejay
Art Expert

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:21 pm

i was thinking about the ryan pic as tattoo. would be rad.

saving showing his other one for the book, but it rules too.
bangyman
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:33 pm

those are all so dope. pardee killed it. as did jay. and steven harrington is one of my favorite artists. i hope we get to print more stuff for him some day.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:44 am

you know, this is where its really at... i'd take any of those over those obama junk prints anyday.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:18 am

iratasan wrote: as for the pardee: smith, where the hell are you? you gotta see this.
Haha, I heard about this a few hours back but just now got to an internet connection. Yes, that is a badass collab - maybe Cohen will sell it to me.

And it's cool to have the little text on there - reminds me of the happy-creepy-fantasy work he breaks out in comics and stuff. And keeping the childhood aspect alive too.

The sketch reminds me of some of the paintings he did for Upper Playground a few months back:

The last one is, allegedly, a self-portrait of sorts...Pardee talks about himself as "a skinny illustrator in a fat guy's body" and I've heard he drew himself as the purple Lazyface, with the character on its back being his girlfriend, steering him around, taking care of him, and being happy for him. Cool. Or maybe it's a big load of crap. Still a cool painting.

Can't wait to see the book, and hopefully a bunch of the originals.
mcnail
Art Expert

Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:01 am

One of the more innovative art projects I've ever seen. You're a genius Aye Jay.
ayejay
Art Expert

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:55 pm

thank you guys for the kind words. with the new pics that have come in, it really pushes things over the top. bennny did a bunch of test prints over paintings, and they're all incredible. it's gonna be really hard narrowiing them down for the book.

in fact, benny, you should write something about the test print process for the book to go by the pages!

and thank you for the poster teat print. the best one i've ever seen, with abraham obama under date farmers obama? sick!
and mitch, while i love claiming to be a genius, it's really moderate amount of cred, lotsa determination and a ton of postage stamps!
pewter14
EB Team

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Please tell me there's a way to get some form of that collab with Jay Ryan ... love it.

the pardee collab is pretty sick ... good stuff all around.