Aaron Horkey...Are there any 100% by-hand posters?

General art-related discussion.
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:44 pm

Oh, and I know the OP was specifically in reference to Horkey prints; I was just wondering if it made any difference how he creates the final plates or if it was just a curious inquiry. Horkey is amazing to me no matter what his process is.
iratasan
Flipper

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:00 pm

word.
GeoffPeveto
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:47 pm

you can see how Aaron works here if you click through the view process buttons. He had reference photos he took, does a sketch on an 8x 10 sheet. then shrinked it down to 4 x 6 and hand watercoloured it. Those colours were speced before we ever started printing and it's dead on to the actual print. We just ended up adding a few eatra layers throughout the process.

http://thedecoderring.com/shop/prints/?id=32601&p=1

meticulous is the way to describe how he works.
db23
Art Expert

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:28 pm

that is f'ing awesome!
DarrenSorkey
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:05 pm

drowningcreek wrote:Oh, and I know the OP was specifically in reference to Horkey prints; I was just wondering if it made any difference how he creates the final plates or if it was just a curious inquiry. Horkey is amazing to me no matter what his process is.
Of course it makes a difference.

The process matters...That's what screen printing is all about. Nobody here is bashing cmputers, but in most arts, the more hand-crafted something is, the more special it is.

If you acquired an original Horkey drawing, obviously the process affects its artistic value. It's hard to imagine asking the same question of ho wmuch the process matters because the pure hand+pen+paper process is what makes that piece unique, as opposed to possessing a hand-drawn piece that was scanned and then laser printed.

I know that's a different situation, because your question was specifically about how much the process matters when making plates, but I would consider a hand-cut rubylith print a step closer to an original hand-done piece, because all that was needed was a few sheets, a knife, a screen, some chemicals, some light, and a pair of hands...but no CS3.

I remember reading somewhere that Horkey sometimes wonders if he was born in the wrong century. If he has made any prints entirely by hand, which could have potentiallybeen made 70 years ago, I'd sure like to know.
watersbrad
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:09 pm

DarrenSorkey wrote:If he has made any prints entirely by hand, which could have potentiallybeen made 70 years ago, I'd sure like to know.
Sounds like the previously mentioned gocco prints fit that bill.
DarrenSorkey
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:13 pm

Yeah, that's pretty sweet.
I kind of doubt the Nesting plates were hand-cut though...Is that really true?
GeoffPeveto
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:45 pm

DarrenSorkey wrote:Yeah, that's pretty sweet.
a decent amount of the layers were hand cut rubylith or hand painted directly on velums. the keyline was hand inked and then the film was enlarged and output at a blueline service bureau.
Catarax
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:54 pm

db23 wrote:
that is f'ing awesome!
i concur
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:03 pm

my lack of knowledge about how screenprints are made is astounding. :D

i do know it's amazing art regardless of how it's accomplished.
evillittlegoat
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:10 pm

DarrenSorkey wrote:
drowningcreek wrote:Oh, and I know the OP was specifically in reference to Horkey prints; I was just wondering if it made any difference how he creates the final plates or if it was just a curious inquiry. Horkey is amazing to me no matter what his process is.

The process matters...That's what screen printing is all about. Nobody here is bashing cmputers, but in most arts, the more hand-crafted something is, the more special it is.
Explaining what screenprinting is all about to Drowning Creek? Awesome.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:44 pm

GeoffPeveto wrote:
a decent amount of the layers were hand cut rubylith or hand painted directly on velums. the keyline was hand inked and then the film was enlarged and output at a blueline service bureau.
you need to start doing videos... free dvd with purchase.
GeoffPeveto
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:19 am

jodeci78 wrote:
GeoffPeveto wrote:
you need to start doing videos... free dvd with purchase.
I was thinking about getting a video camera to document this stuff. I just need to get off my ass and do it. I have a little 5 min video of all the stuff hanging in my house from my digital camera. It would be cool to have documents of all this crap we do.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:24 am

Just "hire" (I bet that you could get people to volunteer just as easily) someone to come and by the video-documenter for each visiting artist DRDC project - I'm sure it would have no lack of applicants. Would even suggest talking to a local college's film program - UT's gotta have one...
Portable DVD recorders have come way down in price... ;)
Tra la la la la...
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:15 pm

DarrenSorkey wrote:

If you acquired an original Horkey drawing, obviously the process affects its artistic value. It's hard to imagine asking the same question of ho wmuch the process matters because the pure hand+pen+paper process is what makes that piece unique, as opposed to possessing a hand-drawn piece that was scanned and then laser printed.

I know that's a different situation, because your question was specifically about how much the process matters when making plates, but I would consider a hand-cut rubylith print a step closer to an original hand-done piece, because all that was needed was a few sheets, a knife, a screen, some chemicals, some light, and a pair of hands...but no CS3.

I remember reading somewhere that Horkey sometimes wonders if he was born in the wrong century. If he has made any prints entirely by hand, which could have potentiallybeen made 70 years ago, I'd sure like to know.
Gosh, thanks for schooling me on process.

You do realize a computer does not automate anything, right? That just instead of rubylith and a razor knife, you're physically coloring in the color separations with a pen on the monitor, i.e., hand drawing it?

This discussion always amuses me.