Aaron Horkey...Are there any 100% by-hand posters?

General art-related discussion.
DarrenSorkey
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:53 pm

I understand that his drawings are all by hand...

I want to know if there have any been any Horkey posters that were drawn at the actual print size, and were never processed in any way through a computer.

Most people would probably guess no, but I was hoping someone from Burlesque could shed some light...

Thanks.
element217
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:07 pm

no
mcnail
Art Expert

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:51 pm

I assume the giclees are made from direct scans or photos of the paintings, but then are made with a digital printer.

I think that's the closest you're gonna get, bud.

Narwhal is pretty close too.
chrislgo
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:01 am

ive heard that aaron works really small...and its usually blown up to poster size.
-lands
surrenderart.com
design.print.destroy!
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:11 am

chrislgo wrote:ive heard that aaron works really small...and its usually blown up to poster size.
Everything I've ever read or heard says he draws completely freehand on plain 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper. There are a couple people here who will know a lot better than me though, but I believe it. It makes his work even more impressive, that it can stretch 3 to four times the size and retain all that detail.

Oh, and as far as I've ever heard (which, again, ain't necessarily the truth) he never does any prep work or sketching in advance. It has to be horseshit, nobody is a god like that, but I remember seeing that sketch of the main bird from WBG and everyone being all, "yeah, that's the first time he had to work out an idea like that."

The man, the myth, the legend, right...
bangyman
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:32 am

DarrenSorkey wrote:I understand that his drawings are all by hand...

I want to know if there have any been any Horkey posters that were drawn at the actual print size, and were never processed in any way through a computer.

Most people would probably guess no, but I was hoping someone from Burlesque could shed some light...

Thanks.
as far as drawn actual size, no. 11x17 is usually the max that he uses. i've seen some much bigger stuff, but nothing for the poster world.
as far as "processed through a computer"...the closest you could come to that not being the case would be nesting. he drew the keyplate, then cut the rest of the plates from rubylith, as far as i know. i could be wrong on that. maybe peveto will chime in...
DarrenSorkey
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 am

bangyman wrote: as far as drawn actual size, no. 11x17 is usually the max that he uses. i've seen some much bigger stuff, but nothing for the poster world.
as far as "processed through a computer"...the closest you could come to that not being the case would be nesting. he drew the keyplate, then cut the rest of the plates from rubylith, as far as i know. i could be wrong on that. maybe peveto will chime in...
Interesting...That was exactly what I meant and was wondering about.
Rev.Mike
Flipper

Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:47 am

The mini art prints were done with the gocco technique and were actually all done by Aaron himself.
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:57 am

What do you mean "processed through a computer?"

Some artists draw directly in the computer and it's still all hand-drawn.
thegig
Art Expert

Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:37 am

mistersmith wrote:Oh, and as far as I've ever heard (which, again, ain't necessarily the truth) he never does any prep work or sketching in advance. It has to be horseshit, nobody is a god like that,
A friend of mine who does extremely detailed work doesn't sketch anything beforehand. He just takes out the pen and gets to work. So it can be and is done.
bangyman
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:34 am

Rev.Mike wrote:The mini art prints were done with the gocco technique and were actually all done by Aaron himself.
nice job mike. way to be.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:34 am

one day I will be able to afford some Horkey OG line art. One day.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
bangyman
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:38 am

drowningcreek wrote:What do you mean "processed through a computer?"

totally agree. i was just referring to the guys question about horkey drawing, then the stuff being scanned in vs. him drawing the posters full size (or on rubylith.) does that make sense? wasn't knocking computer usage whatsoever.
spunkmonkey
Art Expert

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:48 am

bangyman wrote:

totally agree. i was just referring to the guys question about horkey drawing, then the stuff being scanned in vs. him drawing the posters full size (or on rubylith.) does that make sense? wasn't knocking computer usage whatsoever.
Technophobe!
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:38 pm

bangyman wrote:

You and I probably totally agree.... I just think it's funny that some people are not able to see that all methods of creating a poster are simply tools. None of them work well if the artist doesn't know how to use them properly.

Cutting rubylith doesn't make a color plate any more special than creating the same color sep in the computer. It's all done by hand and whether it works or not depends on the skill of the artist. And you can bet that any artist who does separations in the computer has cut miles and miles of rubylith if he/she ever worked in a production facility. Unless of course they started on a computer.

Hell, I'VE cut miles and miles of amberlith when I worked at the newspaper and when I owned my own screen print shop.

I think it's cool that some artists are still using amberlith. We've still got a dusty roll sitting in the corner.....

:lol:

I could be totally wrong, but I think Allen Yeager was working at print size and with rubylith. I'll have to ask about that.....