Question about print created from other work

General art-related discussion.
sadira
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Sorry I am new here and notice a great many collectors of prints. i am curious when an artist uses an image of another persons work ( photo, painting, etc. ) if the print sells out of course would people be interested in the original piece of work the print was created from?

thanks
morst
EB Team

Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:08 pm

I wouldn't expect it would require a sold out print to generate interest in the original. . . Why, do you have something specific in mind?
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
sadira
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:22 pm

Just wondering if someone mabe uses an image from an artist to create a print woudl that artist of the OG work gain notice from the people who collected the artist who created the print?

thanks
Chumley
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 pm

sadira wrote:Sorry I am new here and notice a great many collectors of prints. i am curious when an artist uses an image of another persons work ( photo, painting, etc. ) if the print sells out of course would people be interested in the original piece of work the print was created from?

thanks
I was wondering something similar. What are the laws regarding using someone else's work in your own. Can I just copy parts of an Emek print and make my own? Seems like Emek just copied other works to make the Obamaye print. Is that all legal? Any copyright lawyers here?
sadira
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:44 pm

I am thinking more along the lines of the post regarding Shepards Duality print that is up, it is from a photo of a person. Would collectors of the print be interested in the original photo?

Also alot nicer here then other boards
dr_flie
Art Expert

Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:46 pm

I was wondering the exact same thing earlier about this photo which someone posted. If I am lucky enough to get this print, I would love to get a copy of the photo to hang with it.
sadira
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:53 pm

Would the photo not cost much more than the print, also what if the print was signed by artist and the person who took the photo. Would that print generate more buzz or take away from the print.
slumpbuster
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:00 pm

sadira wrote:Would the photo not cost much more than the print, also what if the print was signed by artist and the person who took the photo. Would that print generate more buzz or take away from the print.
I'm sure something like that would be worth a fortune. Got one?
sadira
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:03 pm

no just curious but when I do get one I will let you guys know
sadira
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:13 pm

So if someone owned a Duality print that was signed by Shepard and the artist who took the photo that would be worth something and what is they had the original photo to go with it
jodeci78
Art Expert

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:37 pm

sadira wrote:So if someone owned a Duality print that was signed by Shepard and the artist who took the photo that would be worth something and what is they had the original photo to go with it
if the original photographer granted the license for OBEY to use that image to create a poster, then that poster was signed by both fairey and the photographer, i would be ok with it.

if shep 'appropriated' the image, as a collector, i would invest in the photograph first, then the print. the photograph is the original idea... all other versions are just a rip-off.

in either case, the photograph is worth more to real art collectors.
sadira
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:16 am

thanks for the feedback,