Obey Giant's print problem

General art-related discussion.
turtlespd
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:55 pm

I have been collecting Sheps work for some time and not untill recently have my prints been recived in poor shape. The first print i recieved from them was the recent lotus print which came with a slight fold crease! And then the secont print i recieved, the " SAY YES" print has a finger prints on them, in ink! I emailed Obey giant about the issue and have yet to recieve any confirmation they will correct any of this. Is this the service im expected to endure if i plan to keep collecting Shep's work? Has anyone else recieve work that has been mishandled and how did you deal with the issue. Any advice of experiences would be greatly appreciated.
coxgt
Art Expert

Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:24 pm

You're lucky that you even got to buy a print from OG....that is the way they see it.

We all have our horror stories of buying from OG, it just goes with the territory....Sometimes the second market is the way to go, more monies but typically less headache.
NEVER DEAL WITH TOM MINARCHICK!(aka, fuedalist_tart on EBAY. HE IS A SCAM ARTIST.PM IF YOU NEED DETAILS.
Codeblue wrote:Taper has finally jumped the shark.
turtlespd
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:34 pm

I see your point of view and thats really the only reason why im not really upset but if you think about it, just because you have a great product doesnt mean you should give a damn about your customers. I accepted the fact i may get a f up print now and then. I dont think asking for some kind of answer is too much to ask. Dont get me started on not getting a print for over a month! but hey its Obey and i guess i am to Obey their rules.

I would like to add that i recently had a problem with a damaged print via shipping and one day after i reported it, Obey sent me a confirmation letter stating that they sent a print. I am very pleased to confirm there is some service when one desperatly needs it. Who knows maybe to keep prints cheap they must cut back on man power.
piemel
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:36 am

start collecting baseball cards or stamps

what a concept eh? a handprinted sikscreen poster with a fingerprint on it

why do you buy these posters? i'd wager a bet right now that a guy like shep would gladly stop selling posters to people like you
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:01 am

Here's an idea. Send back your print back along with some new colors for his palette.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:21 am

Now look what you've done. Rene is all riled up.
Burleson65
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:36 pm

You could make the argument that if you were buying the poster for your own enjoyment (and not to flip) that a fingerprint actually makes the print more unique. The crease in the poster is pretty weak though. I would be upset if that happened to me.

The last poster I got from Obey, the tube was dented to shyt and I thought for sure I was screwed. Turns out the poster was rolled smaller than the tube and it was fine. But it served as a pretty good scare.
turtlespd
Art Enthusiast

Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:27 pm

Piemel,

To answer your remarks,

I do collect baseball cards and never had an issue emailing a company after a purchase.

So you feel that it is ok for a screen print to have a finger print? Maybe for you but not for me. I have over 300 pop art posters, 20 paintings and not one with a finger print all or most came to me MINT and if not for what ever reason the seller gladly replaced it. WHAT A CONCEPT EH!

So you really like to place a wager that Shep would rather not sell posters to people like me? Why? cause I dont want a fold or a finger print WOW. Shep will be back to waiting for his prints to sell cause that includes a majority of the buyers. Everyone wants a print to be in the best condition it can be PERIOD.

When i purchase anything i want it new cause its sapposed to be new, thats all.

Fluffy head,

Nice

Codeblue,

I have no clue why he is so upset.

Burl,

In honesty i collect Shep's work for my personal enjoyment and will flip it when I see a nicer print. Eveyone is entitled to their own opinion, flipper or nonflipper. I just seen poor quality control as of recent. Thats all im saying and all im wondering about.

Glad your damaged tube turned out to be a false alarm.
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:43 pm

turtlespd wrote:Piemel,

To answer your remarks,

I do collect baseball cards and never had an issue emailing a company after a purchase.

So you feel that it is ok for a screen print to have a finger print? Maybe for you but not for me. I have over 300 pop art posters, 20 paintings and not one with a finger print all or most came to me MINT and if not for what ever reason the seller gladly replaced it. WHAT A CONCEPT EH!

So you really like to place a wager that Shep would rather not sell posters to people like me? Why? cause I dont want a fold or a finger print WOW. Shep will be back to waiting for his prints to sell cause that includes a majority of the buyers. Everyone wants a print to be in the best condition it can be PERIOD.

When i purchase anything i want it new cause its sapposed to be new, thats all.

Fluffy head,

Nice

Codeblue,

I have no clue why he is so upset.

Burl,

In honesty i collect Shep's work for my personal enjoyment and will flip it when I see a nicer print. Eveyone is entitled to their own opinion, flipper or nonflipper. I just seen poor quality control as of recent. Thats all im saying and all im wondering about.

Glad your damaged tube turned out to be a false alarm.
well said.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:34 am

my Jay Ryans sometimes come with a little ding or a minor printing flaw. It is part of the process in many cases. As long as the image is not messed up, I am usually not too picky about minor printing flaws. I could see how a finger print would annoy you though.

I just don't buy anything from Obey anymore. I also don't have a single obey print in my collection anymore. The hype is lost on me.
phishbeatles
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:00 am

What the hell, how can you flip a print if it arrives damaged, wtf obey you sell out, go sue someone!
phishbeatles
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:14 am

Burleson65 wrote:You could make the argument that if you were buying the poster for your own enjoyment (and not to flip) that a fingerprint actually makes the print more unique. The crease in the poster is pretty weak though. I would be upset if that happened to me.

The last poster I got from Obey, the tube was dented to shyt and I thought for sure I was screwed. Turns out the poster was rolled smaller than the tube and it was fine. But it served as a pretty good scare.
Yeah just so my posts aren't all cynical. I collect alot of Jim Pollock prints and when he does hand pressed prints, on almost all his prints there are fingerprints. People for the most part love it, and consider it unique by having these fingerprints on em. Anyhow carry on!
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:00 am

phishbeatles wrote:
Burleson65 wrote:You could make the argument that if you were buying the poster for your own enjoyment (and not to flip) that a fingerprint actually makes the print more unique. The crease in the poster is pretty weak though. I would be upset if that happened to me.

Yeah just so my posts aren't all cynical. I collect alot of Jim Pollock prints and when he does hand pressed prints, on almost all his prints there are fingerprints. People for the most part love it, and consider it unique by having these fingerprints on em. Anyhow carry on!
I agree for the most part but there are also other individuals who improperly handle Jim's prints and inadvertently add more thumb prints to the piece.
Bread8
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:48 pm

netflix "who the f is jackson pollock" and you'll see sometimes fingerprints are important
Great words won't cover ugly actions; good frames won't save bad paintings...
kingburdy
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:49 pm

I've only used obeygiant twice. The first time I ordered 2 skateboards(P.J Ladd & Stanton). I never received a return email because the web would tell me the web site did not exist based on their own contact info. weird! 2 make a long story short I never received the boards. U.P.S or obeygiant someone made a booboo. My second order went through fine. The prints could of been packed better though. Never theless the prints were ok.