Why was my print not numbered when it was supposed to be?

General art-related discussion.
tatt2d
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 16, 2008 3:51 pm

I just bought a Gary Houston print (The Dead 2004) from a very reputable ebay dealer. The description read, "Limited Edition that was hand signed by the poster artist." I know this print to have been a 1250 run numbered and signed. I assumed mine would be numbered but it is not. It is however signed. I figured I'd reach out on this board to get some insight before calling the dealer. Any help is appreciated.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri May 16, 2008 3:55 pm

many of his AP (artist proof) prints are singned but not numbered. sounds like you scored an AP.

this one?
freaksmeout
Art Expert

Fri May 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Email the seller and state that the item was not as described. Then wait for a response.

If you paid by PayPal, and the seller doesn't respond within 4 days to your email, file a dispute with PayPal and follow their instructions.

It might be a simple error in that the seller had one signed and some not and sent you the wrong one.

"Screws fall out all the time. The world's an imperfect place."
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri May 16, 2008 4:05 pm

tatt2d wrote:The description read, "Limited Edition that was hand signed by the poster artist."
freaksmeout wrote:Email the seller and state that the item was not as described. Then wait for a response.
apparently from the oringinal post, it didn't say numbered, therefore it is as described. I have a couple AP's that are signed and not numbered by Gary.
tatt2d
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 16, 2008 4:06 pm

freaksmeout wrote:Email the seller and state that the item was not as described. Then wait for a response.

If you paid by PayPal, and the seller doesn't respond within 4 days to your email, file a dispute with PayPal and follow their instructions.

It might be a simple error in that the seller had one signed and some not and sent you the wrong one.

Thanks for your response but the item was as described. It was "signed." There was no mention of numbering in the description just "limited edition." Knowing the run was 1250, naturally I assumed it would be numbered. Maybe it is an AP as electrachrome suggests.........my luck is usually not that good though. I do intend on contacting the dealer eventually though. Oh well, thanks again.
tatt2d
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 16, 2008 4:09 pm

electrachrome wrote:many of his AP (artist proof) prints are singned but not numbered. sounds like you scored an AP.

this one?
No it's the one with the train, (looks like a stamp.) That would be really cool if it is an AP. I'm kinda new to this. What exactly does it mean if it is an AP. I don't mean what does AP stand for, rather what does it mean with regard to it's collectibillity. Is it worth more, should I frame it with conservation glass etc. Thanks for your help.
freaksmeout
Art Expert

Fri May 16, 2008 4:12 pm

tatt2d wrote:

Thanks for your response but the item was as described. It was "signed." There was no mention of numbering in the description just "limited edition." Knowing the run was 1250, naturally I assumed it would be numbered. Maybe it is an AP as electrachrome suggests.........my luck is usually not that good though. I do intend on contacting the dealer eventually though. Oh well, thanks again.
Sorry, I've been drinking beer and apparantly can't read. :wink:
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri May 16, 2008 4:19 pm

tatt2d wrote:No it's the one with the train, (looks like a stamp.) That would be really cool if it is an AP. I'm kinda new to this. What exactly does it mean if it is an AP. I don't mean what does AP stand for, rather what does it mean with regard to it's collectibillity. Is it worth more, should I frame it with conservation glass etc. Thanks for your help.
as far as worth, it's a matter of opinion. some feel they are worth more, but it's the exact same poster so I don't add any extra value to APs. for a run of 1200+ prints, there might be around 50-60 APs.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Fri May 16, 2008 4:21 pm

tatt2d wrote:
electrachrome wrote:many of his AP (artist proof) prints are singned but not numbered. sounds like you scored an AP.

this one?
No it's the one with the train, (looks like a stamp.) That would be really cool if it is an AP. I'm kinda new to this. What exactly does it mean if it is an AP. I don't mean what does AP stand for, rather what does it mean with regard to it's collectibillity. Is it worth more, should I frame it with conservation glass etc. Thanks for your help.
It varies tatt regarding impacts to collectibility. In my world, makes no difference- up or down, just means it was an artist proof.

If a print is worth framing, then frame it as best you can afford.
tatt2d
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 16, 2008 4:21 pm

electrachrome wrote:
tatt2d wrote:No it's the one with the train, (looks like a stamp.) That would be really cool if it is an AP. I'm kinda new to this. What exactly does it mean if it is an AP. I don't mean what does AP stand for, rather what does it mean with regard to it's collectibillity. Is it worth more, should I frame it with conservation glass etc. Thanks for your help.
as far as worth, it's a matter of opinion. some feel they are worth more, but it's the exact same poster so I don't add any extra value to APs. for a run of 1200+ prints, there might be around 50-60 APs.
Got it. More APs than I would have thought. Thanks again.
clem99
EB Team

Fri May 16, 2008 4:29 pm

freaksmeout wrote:
tatt2d wrote:

Sorry, I've been drinking beer and apparantly can't read. :wink:
drink a heap more, makes the chicks looks super, kinda like a magic mirror effect :pint: :pint: thats if your single of course
art is the only justification for pain :)