Shipping Damage...

General art-related discussion.
moe.ron
Flipper

Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:52 pm

OK guys, 2 posters that Ive got in the past week have arrived with a little damage to them.

1st it is the Klutch benefit poster, which looks like someone rolled it way too tight at first. Like, you can see where their thumbs were pushing against the print to roll it, because it left 2 little bends. Doesn't look bad, but if I ever sell it....

2nd is the Thing movie poster by Stout. There are a couple of small creases in the image. They aren't really visable on the image, but on the backside, they are CLEARLY visable.

I guess my question is, how much damage is 'enough' damage to complain about? I'd feel really bad about complaining about the klutch, since it was a benefit poster (though, on the same note, I'm not thrilled with it, and if it were mint, I would sell it)
Mike wrote:Stanley, you crush your wife when having sex and your heart sucks. Boom, Roasted!
mistersmith
Art Freak

Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:07 am

I think the ability to complain varies in direct relation to the price of the poster/print. A $20 gigposter? Unless a truck ran over the tube, it's alright...half of 'em should be hanging on telephone poles and record store windows anyway. But a few-hundred-buck art print? I say it's alright to be picky, because it's an obvious investment in art.

I'm not picking on you at all, but I think a good rule is if you have to ask whether or not you should complain, than you probably shouldn't.

You should have seen my Genghis Tron...ruined by the band shipping, edge wear and a thin tube. But lots of books and lots of time pretty much made it okay, so for a $50 print I can let it slide. My Aepyornis has a roll crease that I saw quickly, but in the frame you can barely tell, so it's fine by me. After all, it's just construction paper, fudge happens. But had the same things occurred with, like, my sub-version OTA or a WBG, yeah, I might have tried for a swap.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:47 am

This is one of the hardest parts of a trade, IMO-

If the print is damaged in transit and packaged to standards , I find it hard to blame the person sending it. Do you own the United States Post Office?

Call that, "luck of life".

Now, if the damage occurred when packaging, different matter and to me it depends on severity. If the only damage seen is on the reverse of the poster, a crease ect, really no issue because it must be small or it would show on the front side.

Edge minor bumps- should it really matter? Does to some people but I really wish it didnt.

Rips- now Im getting a little ticked. How the drymount could a rip appear- your refunding me double what I paid or traded for it. :lol:

I now take photos of all the prints before I send them.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:33 am

I consider benifit prints (like the one for CLUTCH) to be a gift for your donation and as such woundn't complain about shipping or condition.

As for the Thing poster, thats up to you. If the marks are barely visible, I'd say live with it...but that's me. I like what Alamo DraftHouse is doing, ie creating screen printed movie posters as well as their very existance as an independent cinema. that said, they have great customer service and are responsive to customer issues.

Bottom line in making a judgement is if you would prefer a refund over having a slightly damaged print.
moe.ron
Flipper

Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:50 am

The thing that pisses me off, is I don't give a fudge about these 'damages'.

But I know that some anal drymount is going to be all over my ass if I ever do decide to get rid of them, and of course, the damage will need to be disclosed at time of sale, which will drive down the potential price.

I hate to sound like such a flipper, i mean, i have no PLANS on selling these, but if...
Mike wrote:Stanley, you crush your wife when having sex and your heart sucks. Boom, Roasted!
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:52 am

moe.ron wrote:The thing that pisses me off, is I don't give a fudge about these 'damages'.

But I know that some anal drymount is going to be all over my ass if I ever do decide to get rid of them, and of course, the damage will need to be disclosed at time of sale, which will drive down the potential price.

I hate to sound like such a flipper, i mean, i have no PLANS on selling these, but if...
Near mint condition and be done with it- just don't state mint.
Deez
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:25 pm

Okay, how about this scenario... You find a print that you want on eBay, and it's selling for a great price, but the shipping cost is ridiculous. You decide to buy the print b/c even with the ridiculous shipping cost, it's well below the EB 6-month average. Even though the seller charges you an arm & a leg for shipping, the print is shipped to you by UPS ground (the cheapest kind) but insured. When it arrives, you notice that the tube is cheap and flimsy and can be flattened by squeezing with one hand. Also, one of the end caps on the tube has come loose and has rotated 90 degrees (so that it is vertical). The poster is wrapped in craft paper, but floating freely in the tube, and when it's removed, it's dented along its length. Clearly, the damage would have been avoided if the seller gave you your money's worth for the shipping cost you paid; in fact, he seller acknowledges that he should've done a better job packing the print....

So, if the shipper refunds you only the cost you paid for the print, which is far below the actual replacement cost, do you ask the seller to refund the shipping costs?