eBay Counterfeit Seller?

General art-related discussion.
tbraun76
Art Enthusiast

Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:07 pm

is there only one side? Really... Are the artists/galleries acting right - their actions (not 100% for sure, see bng cancelling sales of ebay resellers) are hurting the industry as well. We lament the rise of re-sellers, bots and EQL - Look at the Sperry forum.

Hey, I am not supporting ebay here as well...I am just not going to be angry at the person who gets a cheap knockoff because the system is poorly managed or doesn't wait on line 2 hours for that print at a concert with jacked up prices or heaver forbid, has a work meeting that goes three minutes late and can't buy the print that sells out in 30 seconds

Lots of angst to go around here...
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:15 pm

The people buying it aren't the issue, it's the person stealing the art and profiting off of it that's the issue. It's one thing to purchase and flip/resell, it's a completely different thing to start making your own bootleg posters to sell. That's greasy.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:38 pm

But mah rights to be entitled to any object my lil heart desires.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:42 pm

tbraun76 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:07 pm
is there only one side? Really... Are the artists/galleries acting right - their actions (not 100% for sure, see bng cancelling sales of ebay resellers) are hurting the industry as well. We lament the rise of re-sellers, bots and EQL - Look at the Sperry forum.

Hey, I am not supporting ebay here as well...I am just not going to be angry at the person who gets a cheap knockoff because the system is poorly managed or doesn't wait on line 2 hours for that print at a concert with jacked up prices or heaver forbid, has a work meeting that goes three minutes late and can't buy the print that sells out in 30 seconds

Lots of angst to go around here...
What's the angst? The person reselling the cheap knockoff isnt saying darn...i couldn't get a limited print. His intention was always to steal the art and sell it. They are a thief. And you're supporting the idea of allowing him to be a thief. You are wrong. There is no other side to this situation.
tbraun76
Art Enthusiast

Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:52 pm

I think fixing one thief doesn't solve the cause of the issue and will lead to more to pop up. Until I hear an acknowledgment that more then just ebay has to be fixed, I think this point is fruitless...

I get why someone would go to these knock off artists is what I said and if you knock them off ebay (unlikely), they will be on other platforms.

If you don't acknowledge the faults of current distribution, the up-charging on prints, the reseller phenomenon, etc., then you are not really remedying the matter. I am not supportive of ebay but also know they will continue to pop up regardless of ebay efforts to take them off....
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:10 pm

tbraun76 wrote:
I think fixing one thief doesn't solve the cause of the issue and will lead to more to pop up. Until I hear an acknowledgment that more then just ebay has to be fixed, I think this point is fruitless...

I get why someone would go to these knock off artists is what I said and if you knock them off ebay (unlikely), they will be on other platforms.

If you don't acknowledge the faults of current distribution, the up-charging on prints, the reseller phenomenon, etc., then you are not really remedying the matter. I am not supportive of ebay but also know they will continue to pop up regardless of ebay efforts to take them off....
This isn't a disgruntle fan you're basing all of this off of. It's someone stealing art and selling it. If I were to bet money, they don't even realize there is a limited edition market. They just see the art is popular, they get some terrible quality image, and sell it. We just had someone selling Halloween 3 art on Ebay and his response really was this...

I'm not going to get into a current distribution argument. Every poster is different. Like I seriously see ppl complain only about popular prints for certain bands while 90% of the other cities all have stacks there and you hear nothing. Yes, people like popular things. Especially popular things that can are worth more then cost. Wild shot...you don't want any of those ones right?

Up-charging on prints...just so everyone knows. The price of printing screen prints right now is absurd compared to years past and it's not coming down. So while you think it's up-charging, its really just going to be the norm going forward if you want to buy prints. Half the bands actually make the artist pay for their own prints so it just makes sense why it would be a little more.

You've mentioned Ebay a couple of times. There is the Ebay flipping which is a whole other thing and then there is just blatantly stealing art which you're on that hill.
tbraun76
Art Enthusiast

Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:07 pm

No, I am saying that stopping the stealing of art (generally the most popular versions are what people steal I would guess) is more then having ebay enforce this matter. I don't see my hill that I am taking at all...I just don't see the point

I am not going to go into anecdotal debates per city... I agree and this can be proven on ebay when you see older concert prints go for much lower then current market ones so I agree with your point that there are better options then these reproducers. I am personally mixing and matching but that is neither here nor there.

Re up-charging on prints, by definition raising the cost of anything creates more incentive for theft (doesn't excuse it). I don't begrudge artists or bands their money either but there appear to be some who have gone overboard while others have not. There are many economists who are argue that much of the inflation we see is profit based...

Nothing here in my posts supports theft, just a thought on why it occurs and that the solution is more complex then a simple ebay banning or copyright enforcement.
jojobadass
Art God

Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:45 am

Blame China
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:25 pm

tbraun76 wrote:

If you don't acknowledge the faults of current distribution, the up-charging on prints, the reseller phenomenon, etc., then you are not really remedying the matter.
Huh?
We collect limited edition art.
The artist owns the image… in some cases our friends who we look out for.

When that image pops up on eBay from Thailand, with a pick your own size - however many you can carry for a fraction of the price, it needs to be shut down.
Period.
eBay used to have a report a thief link that customers could use to notify EBay … for no reason.
Ebay won’t lift a finger to stop the flow of cash made via counterfeit posters.
Instead artists we support, have to spend their time and money to get them shut down via lawyers.

There’s no two sides to the coin.
No silver lining.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:56 pm

Kramerica wrote:
The people buying it aren't the issue, it's the person stealing the art and profiting off of it that's the issue. It's one thing to purchase and flip/resell, it's a completely different thing to start making your own bootleg posters to sell. That's greasy.
The people buying aren’t the MAIN issue, but they are still an issue. drymount them too.

Braun I see your point but this is not the forum to get any kind of support for your stance. Move on.

I’ve used those make your own canvas sites for a couple Dolks that I loved but was never going to get my hands on. Personally, I think that’s fine. If you just want somethjng for your walls, even though technically that is still stealing, I think it’s ok.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:08 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:56 pm
Kramerica wrote:
The people buying aren’t the MAIN issue, but they are still an issue. drymount them too.

Braun I see your point but this is not the forum to get any kind of support for your stance. Move on.

I’ve used those make your own canvas sites for a couple Dolks that I loved but was never going to get my hands on. Personally, I think that’s fine. If you just want somethjng for your walls, even though technically that is still stealing, I think it’s ok.
BURN THE WITCH! 😂

The artists are the only people that can make a report for ip theft on eBay. Remember when you could report other people for stealing your pictures?
jojobadass
Art God

Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:50 pm

I heard Emek collects his bootlegged stuff
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:59 pm

I remember when I could leave bad feedback for fukhead buyers.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:28 am

turnJBup wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:59 pm
I remember when I could leave bad feedback for fukhead buyers.

I have no clue how some of you use ebay anymore. I dont trust anyone on there
tbraun76
Art Enthusiast

Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:38 am

You can't live a life with a full absence of trust and you can always bid on ebay with an implied discount...