Advice on 1st trade...

General art-related discussion.
jonbond1779
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi,

Been a member for a while and i have had a straight trade offer. This will be my 1st trade and I need to know what the rules are - do we both ship at the same time and exchange shipping confirmation info??

Also..the member who approached for the trade was a member as of yesterday and has no EB points. I'm sure its safe to say we would all feel better trading and doing business with fellow EB patrons however its a newbie and im a little uneasy.

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers guys. :?:
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:43 pm

I would be VERY leary of trading with someone that new..........
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:58 pm

ask if they've ever traded with anybody before (not necessarily on here), and if so if you could possibly ask them a few questions just to find if they are legit. If the print you're trading is pricey, be a lil cautious. And just be sure they know how to ship. Reference the wiki here to send them info.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:12 pm

There are no "rules" - every trader likes to do things slightly different although there are some common thoughts:

I always expect good packaging, shipping via agreed practices (for me, this means USPS Priority Mail for domestic stuff - I see that you're in the UK so I'd talk thru and make sure that you both know how it's being sent as if it's going overseas, it can mean the difference between expecting it in a week or a month), insuring for the proper amount, mailing at an agreed time (not necessarily the same time - not always possible - but good communication is a key for me).
References are not a bad idea - if you're uneasy, it makes sense. If a person has nothing to hide, then there should be no issue. If they truly are a "green trader" then you have to work things out between the two of ya. Sometimes it means one side sends first. Other times it means a bit of extra trust - any trade takes trust on it's own...
Tra la la la la...
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:13 pm

bysleightofhand wrote:Reference the wiki here to send them info.
http://www.expressobeans.com/wiki/index ... ing_Prints

it can't hurt to ask for a photo or two first...I always try to photograph the print I'm sending out to show the person i'm sending it to the exact condition of the print just before I pack it up. A legitimate trader/seller should be able to meet all reasonable requests for documentation & proof of condition, including providing a tracking # within a day the print ships. Don't assume anything. if you want the package insured, ask. If your unsure that they know how to package a print, ask. If anything, it should show that you are just as serious about getting their print to them in excelent condition.
Trading is an act of trust. I hope it goes well for both individuals involved.
billthebassist
Art Expert

Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 pm

Since you were approached 1st and they are so new, I wouldn't think it unreasonable of you to have them mail their print first to you to ensure they're legit and you're happy before sending yours. Good luck.