Lucky Bunny and "Strict Editions"

General art-related discussion.
Rich_DeSimone

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 am

yesterday i made my first post... http://www.expressobeans.com/forum/view ... 800#205800 because i now have a site after 11 months without and a mailing list. one reader found this on my site and so i thought i'd post it here because it's kind of buried...

"Strict Editions" aka Bullshit-free numbering

A Strict Edition is a term I've come up with, to simplify things. It's the exact quantity produced of an edition. This means there are no A/P's (artist proofs) or P/P's (printer's proofs), bon a tirer (because I'm the printer), etc. I'm well aware of the Tamarind guide but unfortunately, most artists are not. This has lead to inept numbering and misleading information regarding editions. For example, when I label a print as having a strict edition of 50, that means there are 50 prints from the run that I have deemed acceptable. Any test prints, misprints, etc, are destroyed.
The Bunny loves you.
mono_666
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:11 pm

what about variants, etc?
Rich_DeSimone

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:59 pm

mono_666 wrote:what about variants, etc?
simplicity and properly cataloging my work is the goal. therefore, certain types of variants seem weird to me, ie. changing ink or paper color. i feel those types of variants add confusion and show indecisiveness on my part. however, there may be a time when a variant strengthens the concept of a piece which i feel is appropriate. from what i've seen out there, variants seem more like a selling tool. in the past, i've done prints and works on panel from the same screens, which i've dubbed "screen paintings." in a screen painting, i'll alter the art in such a way that would not be possible for a work on paper while taking advantage of the support and its characteristics. prints and panels were numbered separately, a practice which i will continue.
The Bunny loves you.
willg
Art Expert

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:17 pm

This is refreshing. This is the way it should be with all artists.
morst
EB Team

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:25 am

Rich_DeSimone wrote: simplicity and properly cataloging my work is the goal.
Well HEY! Sounds good! That will be cool for us here at EB!!

and.. . WELCOME!!!! 8)
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:52 am

Rich_DeSimone wrote: from what i've seen out there, variants seem more like a selling tool.
so true, so true.

remember the mid 90's when comic books had a resurgence? image comics would have 4 different covers of the same issue, then there were foil variants, etc... and the only people who ever got them would be "insiders" or just the stores themselves who would cherry pick.
ill
Art Expert

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:10 am

jodeci78 wrote:
Rich_DeSimone wrote: from what i've seen out there, variants seem more like a selling tool.
so true, so true.

remember the mid 90's when comic books had a resurgence? image comics would have 4 different covers of the same issue, then there were foil variants, etc... and the only people who ever got them would be "insiders" or just the stores themselves who would cherry pick.
And now they're all completely worthless. I somehow don't see that happening with the art though. Especially in the cases where the variants look better than the originals.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:31 am

ill wrote:
And now they're all completely worthless. I somehow don't see that happening with the art though. Especially in the cases where the variants look better than the originals.
who knows what will happen in the long-term. The thing about gigposters is, there will always be another poster for your favourite band... so while yes, you may really love that decemberists EMEK, if you can't afford it, you just might get that jay ryan decemberists and still be happy.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:34 am

Or will you.....
jodeci78
Art Expert

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:38 am

Codeblue wrote:Or will you.....
lol... you're so right.

maybe sometimes you'll be happy, and then sometimes you won't. then someone will "lose their job" and "have to sell this".