How to Value at John Mellencamp signed print from early 90s

General art-related discussion.
GinaProulx

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:33 pm

ricv64 wrote:ebay? band signed prints are cool but doesn't necessary add any value
That's essentially what my research is determining. It does represent his early painting work. But compared to the quality of art he's producing now, it sucks. Anyway, thanks for the courteous observation.
GinaProulx

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:34 pm

mr_rugby wrote:Only a crazy person signs something in pencil
Well, he's known to be a world class asshole. So perhaps crazy is part of his makeup as well.
ricv64
Art Expert

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:23 am

geezer wrote:
mr_rugby wrote:Only a crazy person signs something in pencil
Tell that to Victor Moscoso.
Prints are supposed to be signed in pencil
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:19 am

Got any Die Hard prints? Ideally signed by Mellencamp.
That's what she said
GinaProulx

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:31 am

finneganm wrote:Got any Die Hard prints? Ideally signed by Mellencamp.
It's not clear to me what value you get from posting to this thread. But what one thinks is funny, is often hard to quantify to those not in on the joke. But perhaps my not being in on the joke was your goal. Yes, that's probably it. Such an odd thing to want to do, to make oneself laugh alone in front of their keyboard by screwing with complete strangers.

Again, thanks to all who were able to offer actual conversational assistance in my attempt to put a value on this thing. We have walls of prints from multiple artists worshiped on this page. I've been aware of EB for years but never joined because we won't sell our Phish and Dead and other such posters. I suspect I've stood next to many of you at shows when I wasn't in the pit making photos.

I've learned all I can from this site about this very obscure and old-ish print. Thanks again to those who brought up great points.

I suspect Mr. Finnegan won't be able to restrain himself and will respond with some more of his brand of 'wit.' Fire away. I won't read it. That should offer you plenty of fodder to display your rhetorical Internet Warrior powers to your preferred audience without retribution. I suspect it's all you've got to do today.
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:31 am

Ok Drew
That's what she said
KingOfNothing
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Unfortunately - oddly enough - you came to the wrong place to inquire about your Mellencamp print. The frustrating aspect of EB is it's diversity and it's lack there of, because most if not all interests lie within a very specific corner of the print world that mainly trends with a company called Mondo and their specialized licensed TV and movie comic-book-movie-super-hero prints. And although you say that you are familiar with EB and the typical Phish/Dead print discussions, that's about as close to the music industry that EB will get, save for the occasional Shepard Fairy/Obey, Public Enemy-Rage Against the Machine-Billy Idol prints that get talked about.

Without photos of what you have it makes it impossible to determine any value, the music industry, especially in the 1990's was known to make limited-run "one-off" poster/promotional prints that they'd send out as "thank you's" to radio stations and record stores. It makes it even more difficult to place a value on without a COA (certificate of authenticity) or a photo of Mellencamp actually signing the prints (which was often done to validate the signature). What you have is obviously rare, but being rare doesn't necessarily dictate any value. You'd be better off trying to find a music/film reseller or a Mellencamp fan site, if one even exists? to try and figure out what someone would be willing to pay for it.

Good luck in your quest.
NEVER FORGET Image 02/14/14
Je préfère mourir sur mes pieds que de vivre à genoux