tipping on commissioned art?

General art-related discussion.
danesgod

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Hey all, I did a search but didn't find anything... I recently commissioned 3 pieces (two for me, one for my friend) for $1000. Are you supposed to tip an artist? or is that "included" in the commissioned price? I don't want to commit a faux pas, but also don't want to throw in more money if I've already paid the full price.

Thanks,
Dane
ricv64
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:11 am

you're cheap
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
Origo
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:30 am

I´ve never "tipped" an artist, I found that most of them are happy that someone will support their work.
danesgod

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:20 am

As this was one of my first posts, and I didn't know there's a delay, I went ahead and paid the artist without tipping (I already had the art in hand, it felt weird not to pay ASAP). I certainly hope I don't come across as cheap! I'm still interested if people routinely tip or not.

I like his work, would consider getting stuff done for family too, I feel like being a repeat buyer beats tipping any day.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:15 pm

I don't think tipping is necessary, but if you do want to help, share what you got, put a link to where their work is available, and push it as much as possible.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Typically no, but I recently commissioned a piece for a christmas gift that I tipped a bit on just because I thought their prices were overly generous and they had extremely fast turnaround time and excellent communication.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)