what do i do (ebay question)

General art-related discussion.
rogoff
New User

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:47 pm

hey all,
i am a newbie to this whole poster (as well as the ebay world) for the most part, and i have a quick question for you all. i am wanting to buy this print currently on ebay (the 'buy it now' price is pretty damn low and tempting), yet in the item description, the seller does not mention the condition that the print is in. He just gives some basic background info. I sent him a message via ebay a little bit ago asking if the poster was in mint condition, and he has yet to respond. is it dangerous to go ahead and shell out the money (its not extreemly expensive or anything) for this print, given that the condition is not explicitly stated? or is it understood that a limited edition, highly sought-after print, is usually in mint condition unless otherwise stated? If i were to go ahead and buy the print before the seller responded to the question, and i were to receive a slightly damaged print, would my money be refundable? i think, after writing this question out, that it would probably be smartest to wait until the seller got back to me, but damn, i'm afraid someone is going to eat this up pretty soon. any thoughts/ advice?
thanks,
nick
dtak
Art Enthusiast

Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:44 am

If you have already sent the person a message and they haven't gotten back to you yet, I would not go ahead and buy the print. The best and most trustworthy sellers of art and posters (in my experience) are very explicit in their descriptions of items as well as prompt to answer any questions about the item. Don't assume anything because they can always refer back to the listing and say, "well I never said the print was in MINT condition" then things can get ugly from there. My advice is wait to hear back from them. Any seller worth your money should have the courtesy of answering your inquiry
Some folks think, that their role in life, is to fail at everything they try
morst
EB Team

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:39 pm

rogoff wrote: If i were to go ahead and buy the print before the seller responded to the question, and i were to receive a slightly damaged print, would my money be refundable?
Dtak is right on with this one.

You would have no recourse, unless the seller sent the wrong item, or sent nothing. Omissions in descriptions can sometimes be deliberate. You should check the seller's feedback rating to see if he has a good track record- just click on the number in (parenthesis) next to the seller's ebay handle and page through the feedbacks to get a feel for the seller's habits.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.