Ray Caesar help

General art-related discussion.
treweman
Art Expert

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Hello all. I am exploring the possibility of adding a Ray Caesar print to my collection - I am assuming that I cannot afford an original of any size - and I was hoping that an EB member might be able to help me with pricing information. I am aware that the print editions are sold in graduated steps, with low edition numbers being less expensive than higher edition numbers. But that still leaves the question of overall pricing. How much should I expect to spend? And does anyone have information about the prices of originals, just to confirm that they are out of my comfort zone. Any help is going to be appreciated.
haven
Art Expert

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:15 pm

treweman
Art Expert

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 pm

I saw the ones on CHG, but there aren’t any prices. I actually have found several galleries with inventory, but no one is revealing any pricing information.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:56 pm

I assume you are looking for a print, but this is a nice starter pack, for those interested.

https://shop.jonathanlevinegallery.com/ ... ed-edition
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:57 pm

I just clicked on CHF and some do have prices.
For example: http://www.coreyhelfordgallery.com/inve ... ire-study/
Edition of 20 / UltraChrome ink on paper - 9" x 9" $800 unframed ($975 framed)
haven
Art Expert

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:59 pm

treweman wrote:I saw the ones on CHG, but there aren’t any prices. I actually have found several galleries with inventory, but no one is revealing any pricing information.
That top row has prices.
treweman
Art Expert

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks so much. I missed that. Exactly what I needed.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:08 am

Isn't he a purely digital artist so even the "originals" are just one off prints. I have seen a couple of his Giclee prints in person and they look great. A lot better than most Giclees I've seen.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
treweman
Art Expert

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:23 am

Codeblue wrote:Isn't he a purely digital artist so even the "originals" are just one off prints. I have seen a couple of his Giclee prints in person and they look great. A lot better than most Giclees I've seen.
Great question, and I don’t know the answer. Some of his work is on canvas while many others are on paper, and some add acrylic paint to the description of medium, while others just list UltraChrome ink. Then add that some are listed as 1/1 and use the term unique, but it is unclear if it is just the size that is unique or the image itself. I have contacted half a dozen galleries in the hopes of sorting this all out, but all are currently closed for the holiday season. I do know several things: I am very drawn to some of the images, particularly when I read what Ray has written about them; although some view digital art as a bastardized medium and inferior to more traditional styles, the longer I collect, the more comfortable I’m becoming with it; and the popularity of Ray’s work is undeniable, which is driving prices to a place I don’t want to go.

Blue, which ones have you seen?
electrachrome
Site Admin

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Codeblue wrote:Isn't he a purely digital artist so even the "originals" are just one off prints. I have seen a couple of his Giclee prints in person and they look great. A lot better than most Giclees I've seen.
Yup. Same as Tom Bagshaw. But where as Tom "paints" digitally, in Ray's case I believe he creates the whole thing in wireframe so that he can explore different views of his subject within the environment.

Treweman, Ray is very accessible through social. Drop him a line.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Don't remember the names of the ones I saw. They were in different group shows.

I prefer artists like Nicola Verlato who start analog, then go digital, then back to analog for the finished product.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.