Please help, Mondo print off eBay wrong size? (The Thing)

General art-related discussion.
Waingro
New User

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Hello all. New member here and excited to join up after lurking for a while. I apologize if this isn't the proper place to do so, but I have a question regarding a Mondo print I recently purchased off of eBay.
I've long been searching for and finally bit the bullet on the Mondo classic Drew Struzan The Thing print. Ironically I couldn't afford it when it was originally released and have long since accepted that I would have to pay at least three times that now on the secondary market. I have avoided going the eBay route for any of my posters until now, but this is just something I've wanted for a very long time. I even sold off several of my other prints to help foot the bill. The guy I bought it from had sufficient positive feedback and seemed a pleasant enough fellow. The print arrived recently and upon measuring it for a frame up, I discovered that the dimensions are not exactly what was listed from Mondo. Rather than being exactly 26" wide, the print comes in at 25" and some change. It's really only a few millimeters short, so it's slight, but significant enough to throw off my framing measurements. My question, particularly to those who own this piece or are more knowledgeable than I, should I be concerned over the possibility of having purchased a fake or reproduction print? The paper quality feels hefty, the image appears bright and vibrant, and the signature looks authentic to me, but I now find myself wondering.
Are fake Mondo prints a realistic risk now? Are there any clues that might help me to authenticate my purchase for my own piece of mind? Perhaps most helpfully, is there anyone else who also owns this piece who might be willing to weigh in and can provide me with definitive measurements? This cost me a relative small fortune, so any help or advice before it's too late would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D